A Marvel Fanboy

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World | Feb 22, 2019 | 12th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

If Finding Dory stays with its current release date, do you think HTTYD3 will be pushed to 2017 or a March release like the first one?

It wouldn't be a bad idea, to be honest. I think it's up to Home Video and all that kind of stuff. They might find some very, very late buzz for this movie (that being very high video sales) and decide to give it another chance. Otherwise, if Home video and everything is underwhelming as the box office itself, pushing it back seems like the only right decision.

Still, it would be affected by Finding Dory despite that movie being deemed to underwhelm like Monster University.

• Like 1

It's DW. They rush out every sequel these days. Pixar is falling into the same trap  depending on sequels.

Agreed—same with Blue Sky.  Disney seems to be the saving grace here.  Instead of only relying on sequels, they're giving us hits like Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, and most of all Frozen, and Big Hero 6 seems like it could be pretty promising.

• Like 1

It's DW. They rush out every sequel these days. Pixar is falling into the same trap  depending on sequels.

Pixar's non sequels are still successful. Doing Finding Dory isn't approaching Dreamworks sequel territory yet.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 3

Dreamworks Animation being independent and a plc is hurting them as they're dependent on films and various spinoffs being successful. They're branching out but I think it would be better if they either went private, remerged with Dreamworks SKG or are bought by a bigger company.

• Like 2

So given how upset or very disappointed the masses were with Dragon 2's performance box office wise, are we sure a 3rd movie has been greenlit and if so, perhaps next time, we won't make such high predictions for this in an effort to enjoy this more???

I think the movie might make enough WW money to warrant a third, ala KFP2. And yeah, next time people's expectations will be on check.

• Like 1

It wasn't going to come out in 2016 even if Dragon 2 was a big hit. This was a case of DWA just trying to placate shareholders.

I don't know.

I just finished The Art of How to Train Your Dragon 2, and many of the principal filmmakers discuss details they set up while making the second movie that'll be explored or used more in the third film.  

Potential spoilers for the next film:

Some key points:

> There's a dragon trap (The Scrambler) that makes a screeching sound (intended to paralyze a dragon) that is shown being built in the second film that they talk about being featured in the next film.  

>Some talk during the Bewilderbeast section about the dragon hierarchy system that they'll explain more about in the next film.

>They go into short detail about how Drago and his army aren't Vikings, and how they all come from distant, exotic lands that will be expanded upon.  

>And how the Bewilderbeast battle, when Drago invades the Dragon Sanctuary, is just the start of the "World War of Dragons".  

And the book was being written over the course of the second film's production, and Linda Sunshine (the author) mentions near the end of the book that the second film is nearing completion and Dean Deblios is currently in the progress of writing Dragon 3's screenplay, too.  

So needless to say, they already had a lot of groundwork already in progress or complete before the second film was finished or soon after, enough so that 2 years was or maybe still is enough time to get it released I'd say.   Of course it won't stay on its current release date regardless.  

Edited by Corpse
  • Like 3

So needless to say, they already had a lot of groundwork already in progress or complete before the second film was finished or soon after, enough so that 2 years was or maybe still is enough time to get it released I'd say.   Of course it won't stay on its current release date regardless.  

Hmmm, DeBlois didn't seem like he was raring to go in an interview I saw. He seemed to see the release date as more of a dream than a reality.

• Like 1

The discussion is probably moot anyway.  It's unlikely to move to an earlier date, and it won't stay in its current slot either, so a later release date (probably 2017 since Nov/Dec. 2016 are already crowded) is happening either way. 

• Like 1

I hope that Disney Animation can stay with their policy making sequels for Home Video only.

• Like 1