A Marvel Fanboy

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World | Feb 22, 2019 | 12th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

Agreed—same with Blue Sky.  Disney seems to be the saving grace here.  Instead of only relying on sequels, they're giving us hits like Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, and most of all Frozen, and Big Hero 6 seems like it could be pretty promising.

Because a four year wait is RUSHING a sequel. LOL

Dean DeBlois should have no hand in marketing.

He can make a movie but someone should shoot him in the head if they allow him to decide what can be shown or what he can talk about.

edit: Apparently, I am mistaken. Fox decision not his. Fuck Fox.

Edited by BK007
  • Like 1

I hope that Disney Animation can stay with their policy making sequels for Home Video only.

John Lasseter killed off all video sequels projects when he came to Disney. Thank god! :wacko:

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 2

If Fox's marketing on 2 is any indication, we need to brace ourselves for potential Star Trek III-level spoilage* in the next film's marketing. Though I hope, hope, HOPE someone at DW/Fox gets their shit together before then.*For Star Trek III, Paramount marketing put

the Enterprise blowing up

into the trailer, something Leonard Nimoy was vehemently against. Listen to the DVD commentary...Oh, and at least they didn't pull a Phantom Menace and

give away a major character death via

a track title on the soundtrack album.

Another awful spoiler incident.And as for Chris Sanders, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if Sanders were brought back in some capacity, maybe story/screenplay collaboration/polishing, to maybe try to bring back a little of the "heart" that some thought was missing from 2. (Sanders will probably be writing/directing Croods 2 with Kirk DeMicco at the same time DeBlois is doing HTTYD3, but maybe a little additional input on the latter wouldn't hurt. He executive-produced 2, but wasn't directly hands-on involved.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Because a four year wait is RUSHING a sequel. LOL

I didn't necessarily mean that in the sense of rushing sequels, just on the fact that the other studios (DWA, BlueSky, and even Pixar's falling into it) start to rely more on sequels rather than putting out more original content,
  • Like 1

I didn't necessarily mean that in the sense of rushing sequels, just on the fact that the other studios (DWA, BlueSky, and even Pixar's falling into it) start to rely more on sequels rather than putting out more original content,

True... but DreamWorks does good, typically better than original, sequels nowadays. I'd rather have good sequels like KFP2 and Dragon 2 than originals like Home or Turbo

• Like 1

I think the movie might make enough WW money to warrant a third, ala KFP2. And yeah, next time people's expectations will be on check.

Dragon 2 may not do as well as KFP2 which did an amazing $500M OS. But No. 3 is already in the planning anyway so....everybody gets to keep their job

• Like 1

Dragon 2 may not do as well as KFP2 which did an amazing $500M OS. But No. 3 is already in the planning anyway so....everybody gets to keep their job

Not EVERYBODY, they just had a round of layoffs last week or the week before. Cancelling it would probably hurt their stock price more than making it (and Katz basically promised DeBlois both parts 2 and 3) but I have a feeling they're going to send more of the workload to India for HTTYD3/other future films to try to bring the budgets down. (There was an Indian unit on this movie, it'll probably get bigger. Or perhaps the China unit will get some of the work.)The Dragon films are among the few DWA productions where every dollar shows onscreen. I hope Part 3 doesn't suffer for this.Depending on where the OS ends up for this one, HTTYD3 could be a Back to the Future Part III or Matrix Revolutions situation, where it drops BOTH domestically and overseas. (As far as animated sequels, the only past ones I can think of to do this were Shrek 3 and Happy Feet Two. And Smurfs 2, if you count that as an "animated feature" - which I don't.) Though without the World Cup eating into Latin American business next time, and depending on how the remainder of Europe/Asia receives this one, who knows? Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

It's actually ridiculous that the animators are getting laid off.  The animation was beautiful and one of the best aspects of the movie.  If anything, the people in marketing and execs should be fired for messing up the promotion so badly.

But of course the higher ups basically have immunity in companies so they make people under them take the blame. :/

• Like 5

I don't think it'll be ready for March 2016, unless they're working on it right now and we don't know about it.Maybe it'll end up in Trolls' November 2016 slot? That Bollywood thing is scheduled for March 2017, if that gets delayed AGAIN, Dragon 3 could go there. Summer 2017 would put it in the vicinity of Despicable Me 3 - bad, bad idea. Or they could put it in November 2017 and move Croods 2 somewhere else.Not sure if even DW is insane enough to put FOUR movies in a given year, so I have no idea how stuff will get shuffled around to put HTTYD3 in a better slot.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Now that I have watched it finally and I also watched the 1st one again this week to prepare I can say it's not as good but still enjoyable. There is just something charming about the 1st film that this one lacked totally reminded me of Star Trek in that regard. And there are a couple points where for a shorter film my mind wandered to the time so it's a little easier for me to see its legs now.

• Like 2

If Fox's marketing on 2 is any indication, we need to brace ourselves for potential Star Trek III-level spoilage* in the next film's marketing. Though I hope, hope, HOPE someone at DW/Fox gets their shit together before then.

Having so many spoilers revealed in the trailers actively reduced my enjoyment of the movie, as I spent the first half mentally checking off plot points I knew were going to appear somewhere. I'm going to do my best to avoid the marketing for the third.

It's clear that running against FD would be a big mistake.

• Like 2

I don't think it'll be ready for March 2016, unless they're working on it right now and we don't know about it.Maybe it'll end up in Trolls' November 2016 slot? That Bollywood thing is scheduled for March 2017, if that gets delayed AGAIN, Dragon 3 could go there. Summer 2017 would put it in the vicinity of Despicable Me 3 - bad, bad idea. Or they could put it in November 2017 and move Croods 2 somewhere else.Not sure if even DW is insane enough to put FOUR movies in a given year, so I have no idea how stuff will get shuffled around to put HTTYD3 in a better slot.

For projects like this, preparation is usually like 3 years from release. I think they are currently working on it. I'm just assuming though.

2017 could be a problem too (summer or winter) because that could be THE INCREDIBLES ll's year.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 1

DWA always shuffles dates, it's rare for a film that they schedule to stick to that date. November 2016 seems the best option for Dragon 3. Trolls could easily move to summer 2016.
  • Like 1

Yeah, there's a Disney movie at Thanksgiving though. No title given yet - I think it MAY be the "Zootopia" project, which is not a fairy-tale/princess/musical film.But then again, DW would be opening Trolls there anyway. Anna Kendrick has been cast for Trolls, I have no idea how close it is to voice recording getting underway. If it can be fast-tracked, I'd put it in May '16 where it has no animated competition. (Though Alice 2 could cut its legs - but honestly, Trolls feels like a dumb idea no matter where it's scheduled.)The other 2016 film is Boss Baby, which shares a title with a children's book I've never heard of, and so may be an adaptation. (And it's a single picture book, so this will probably be an "adaptation" in the same way as Shrek, or the Seuss films, or *gaaaaah* Mars Needs Moms.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1