A Marvel Fanboy

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World | Feb 22, 2019 | 12th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

Yeah, there's a Disney movie at Thanksgiving though. No title given yet - I think it MAY be the "Zootopia" project, which is not a fairy-tale/princess/musical film.

Zootopia sounds really interesting. Hopefully they can make it as good as it sounds and not some immature childish crap which it could veer into.

• Like 1

Yeah, there's a Disney movie at Thanksgiving though. No title given yet - I think it MAY be the "Zootopia" project, which is not a fairy-tale/princess/musical film.But then again, DW would be opening Trolls there anyway. Anna Kendrick has been cast for Trolls, I have no idea how close it is to voice recording getting underway. If it can be fast-tracked, I'd put it in May '16 where it has no animated competition. (Though Alice 2 could cut its legs - but honestly, Trolls feels like a dumb idea no matter where it's scheduled.)The other 2016 film is Boss Baby, which shares a title with a children's book I've never heard of, and so may be an adaptation. (And it's a single picture book, so this will probably be an "adaptation" in the same way as Shrek, or the Seuss films, or *gaaaaah* Mars Needs Moms.)

Isn´t it more likely that Zootopia will be the first DIsney animated film to come out in 2016. They have one date for March and the other for November, and since they have already announced Zootopia it would seem likely that it is the next Disney film after Big Hero 6. Giants probably will come out in November but that is not confirmed yet.

• Like 1

No, it will be moved. It will absolutely be moved. Not sure where, but after HTTYD2's performance they wouldn't be stupid enough to open it on the same weekend as Dory.I have no idea how far into development Dragon 3 is. I've read that the script work has started, but DeBlois said:

You can’t take those release dates too literally. I think they throw a dart into the future and as we get closer and reality dawns we move it around. It will take about three years but we already have a lot of stuff already built so that will shave down some time.

Reading the Art Of book, they do seem to have built production assets for HTTYD2 that could indeed speed stuff up for this one, and some design work may have already been done.But I have no idea if HTTYD2's underperformance and (supposedly) mixed parent reactions will have any effect on the story/tone of the third. Signs point to an even heavier story and

an ending to rival Toy Story 3 in the tearjerker department.

One of the reasons I wanted great OS performance was out of hope that it would reassure DW to stay the course.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

I probably know what is in the spoiler but I won't look. I hope they stay the course.

Though, for them, the only sequel that ever increased was Shrek, so they are batting 25%, so there is some hope, I guess.

Anyway, schedule for the next couple years:

Feb: Spongebob SquarePants 2

Mar: Home

May: Monster Trucks

Jun: BOO, Inside Out

Jul: Minions

Sep: Hotel Transylvania 2

Nov: Peanuts, Good Dinosaur

Dec: Kung Fu Panda 3

Already have trailers for Home and Peanuts, poster for Spongebob, hype for Inside Out. Nothing for the rest though Minions and Dinosaur have been delayed to their dates and Panda moved up.

Jan: Nut Job 2

Feb: Illumination Pets Movie

Mar: Zootopia, Boss Baby

Jun: Dory, Dragon 3

Jul: Ice Age 5

Aug: Smurfs

Sep: Ninjago

Nov: Trolls, Giants

Dec: Untitled Illumination

Hmmm...if Dragon 3 doesn't make its release date, and chances are it won't, it can only be pushed back. Fox obviously won't want to go up against their own movie even though I don't think IA5 makes $150m. They could either get a headstart on Dory in May, or open...well, I think it'd be best if they opened after. I don't think Dory will be any good so it will be cutting Dory's legs instead of the other way around. I don't really want it to go into 2017 because that's too fucking far away for me. I already waited 4 years for this one...though has it really been that long? *bursts into tears at age*

• Like 1

The first DM2 "teaser" (the Banana song) was released on The Lorax, sixteen months before the film's actual release date. I wonder why they haven't started that early this time - because the Minions are more fresh in the memory one year after DM2 than 20 months after DM1? Because the pre-credits scene in DM2 already served the same purpose?

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Hey, don't underestimate the Minions. Kids love the Minions. While DM3 will probably drop from DM2 (at least domestically) it's still going to make bank.And I'm optimistic about Dory, but even I don't think it's going to get THAT high. Toy Story 3 and Frozen came closest and THEY couldn't pull it off.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

Hey, don't underestimate the Minions. Kids love the Minions.And I'm optimistic about Dory, but even I don't think it's going to get THAT high. Toy Story 3 and Frozen came closest and THEY couldn't pull it off.

You my frien are underestimating the popularity of Finding Nemo. If the movie is good I see it getting there. 

• Like 1

We'll see. I would love to see it pull that off, but it's nowhere near a given at this point. A year ago, there were people who thought HTTYD2 had a shot at 300 but that Frozen would have a tough time getting very far above 200. And look what actually happened. Nemo is much more popular than Dragon, so Dory could have a shot at 400 (especially if Dragon 3 moves), but nothing seems to be certain anymore with animation.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

We'll see. I would love to see it pull that off, but it's nowhere near a given at this point. A year ago, there were people who thought HTTYD2 had a shot at 300 but that Frozen would have a tough time getting very far above 200. And look what actually happened.Nemo is much more popular than Dragon, so Dory could have a shot at 400 (especially if Dragon 3 moves), but nothing seems to be certain anymore with animation.

What do you think Dory is going to do OW? i'm thinking 150M 

• Like 1

Not likely.No animated film has ever crossed $150m OW adjusted, let alone unadjusted. In fact, aside from Shrek 2-3 and Toy Story 3, nothing has opened over 100 (unadjusted or adjusted). Shrek 3 still has the biggest Fri-Sun opening either way, and it was coming off of Shrek 2.I think both Dory and DM3 could open to $100m (I believe DM3 is opening on a Friday this time), but we shall see...

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1