A Marvel Fanboy

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World | Feb 22, 2019 | 12th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

https://deadline.com/2019/02/how-to-train-your-dragon-the-hidden-world-fandango-sneaks-box-office-1202548566/

The DreamWorks Animation threequel doesn’t open until Feb. 22, and already there’s a want-to-see for How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden WorldThe Dean DeBlois-directed feature racked up $2.5M in Universal-Fandango early access screenings yesterday, a figure that’s more than the Amazon Prime previews for Sony’s Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle ($1.86M) and Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation ($1.28M).

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Saw this in IMAX today. Loved it, the last act of this film broke me in a way that only Titanic has before. Best animated trilogy ever. Sorry Toy Story. 

Just wish I could have seen it in 3D

I wanted to catch an early show but I have to see it in 3D, so I'll have to wait a bit. It took a lot of willpower, I'll admit that.

Call me crazy but if Lego 2 underperforms, I can see a strong chance this does a $60M OW, presales and reviews have been good, the sneak previews are encouraging and Universal has done good marketing this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Saw this in IMAX today. Loved it, the last act of this film broke me in a way that only Titanic has before. Best animated trilogy ever. Sorry Toy Story. 

Just wish I could have seen it in 3D

3D really worth it do you reckon? I will probably watch it again. I dont like 3D generally speaking. Why should everything be made dark, especially from quite a colourful animation like this.

7 minutes ago, tupek said:

Do you think this could reach $200m?

Dragon 2' $49m OW was one the biggest letdowns I've seen

it's really hard to say, all three have been really well received by the audience.

my inclination is that it will drop again.

Theres an inherent difficulty in animated/family sequels that have longish gaps between films. If a 10 year old boy loved the second one, then he's now 15 and a grumpy teenager who doesnt care for stupid kids films. The awkward teenage years get in the way.

We've seen the same with Kung Fu Panda which had an identical 5 year gap.

On the other hand, its been 10 years since the first one, so at that point you've skipped over the teenage years.

Maybe I am talking out my arse but that's how I feel. I know 5 years ago when I was 17 i did not want to watch HTTYD. But now age 22 I am very happy to.

It helps that March is clear of serious competition until 29th when Dumbo releases.

Also think it helps greatly that it has a strong ending. Peaking at the end of a film gives a huge boon to reception and WOM.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I’m Australia it’s doing way less than the second one I believe so a drop domestic is guaranteed 

by weekend #4 the second film had grossed 11.85 million dollars

by weekend #4 the third film has grossed 20.16 million dollars

granted, this one has much weaker legs, but I'm guessing that is to do with holidays. regardless - I dont see how you can spin the numbers I just said as being "way less".

31 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

Do you guys think the oversaturation of the Dragons property in recent TV shows and short films is the reason for softer holds in a lot of markets?

For sure, it seems to be very apparent that when you milk a series of loads of animated shows, you sacrifice some box office dollars.

Kung Fu Panda for instance, at least worldwide kfp2 held well and increased from kfp1 by 50M. Between the second and third film, had 80 episodes of TV and two special shorts all featuring the main characters from the movies. And then kfp3 fell by 120M

Madagascar on the other hand, it had the Penguins show. The show never featured the main characters but instead had minor supporting character from the movies. Over 100 episodes between Madagascar 2 and Madagascar 3. What happened? The 3rd movie increased, significantly.

Look at other series like Ice Age and those movies all kept up tremendously on the previous instalment. (excluding the final one that bombed). Ice Age didnt have TV shows. though it had a few spin off specials featuring Scrat, but nothing with the main characters.

If you look at that, an explanation could be -- the abundance of TV shows can help / not hinder the films at the box office, if the shows/specials are spin offs. Spin-offs keep you engaged with the brand, but not actually consuming the main thing youre there for, and holds something back for the film.

If you put the main cast of characters in your TV show and continue it the same as the movies, then you are burning through audience demand and theres less reason to see it in the cinema when you see (as far as a kid is concerned) exactly the same thing at home.

With Dragons, its a continuation of the films, with the main characters from the films. They even keep the voice actors.

That being said, httyd2 had a big jump on the first one at BO, internationally. So it's difficult to tell.

But yes, I do believe that the way you treat your franchise and how separately you keep the TV shows from the films, will affect the performance.

On the other hand... it probably boosts the popularity of the TV shows when you have the main characters.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bishop54 said:

Do you guys think the oversaturation of the Dragons property in recent TV shows and short films is the reason for softer holds in a lot of markets?

For what is worth in Latin America is holding better than the second (on top of opening higher in lc) 

Dragons 3 | Dragons 2

Brazil: :    -38 ; -27   |  -57 ; -17

Colombia: -38 ; -38 | -38 ; -55

Chile:         -18        |  -24 

Edited by salvador-232
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1