Noctis

The Matrix VS Inception

Matrix VS Inception  

58 members have voted

1. 1. The Matrix VS Inception

• The Matrix
    • Inception

Reloaded was actually a flawed but pretty decent movie. I even liked the Architect scene that most people hate. It was a great mindfuck moment. Revolutions was just terrible, though. Especially during the endless battle scene in Zion with NOT ONE OF THE MAIN DAMN CHARACTERS INVOLVED!I think The Matrix should never have been a trilogy. For me it said everything it needed to say in the first one, and the sequels were just cashing in. I suspect I will feel the same way about the Avatar sequels.

• Like 1

The Matrix was a cutural phenomenom. There isn't really a comparison. "Inception" was good, I get it an A all day. I loved it but that's kind of where it stops. Sure Nolan did a great job introducing some themes about the dream state. But The Matrix took on a life of it's own. It not only changed action movies but it changed special effects. Also you have to give The Matrix some credit. Quality wise it outshinned "Episode I" which was suppose to be the biggest sci-fi film of the year. Sure box office wise it was but speical effects and quality wise The Matrix blew it away. I also don't agree with people saying they didn't care about the characters in the Matrix. Are you kidding? You are 100% invested in the 3 main characters journey. Neo cause he is like us experiencing it for the 1st time. Mopheus was like the guide, he gave us the understanding of what was going on. Trinty was the opening scene you were invested in her from the beginning. Smith was a great villian and Cypher was a good anti-hero also. Overall the Matrix was clearly in a league with the best Sci-Fi films of all time. Star Wars, T2 and Jurassic Park are the only Sci-fi films I think that can compete with it as far as changing special effects in Hollywood. Sure 2001 is there also but The Matrix was a game changer. I think "Inception" did outdo expectations but I agree about repeat viewings, I've watched it at least 6 or 7 times including twice in the theater but I'm not as wow'ed as I orignally was. "The Matrix" repeat viewing litterally bring you back to how you felt when you 1st saw it. Certain movies just capture the audience in a speical way. Now people like to use the sequels to bring down the original but the 1st film cannot be touched. Also for all the hate the sequels get, fans lined up all across the world to watch them as they made 1.1 Billion in a 6 month period. Overall I liked "Inception" and yes it very well may be a Classic in the future. But The Matrix represents Change, it was a point when movies went from one thing to the next. It's historic. As a huge Will Smith fan, I'm glad he turned down the role. Neo is not really a charismatic character. He's kind of a loner and Keanu fit that role very well. Lastly I love how the Matrix paid homage to Japanese Animation, it was really like the 1st live action Japanese Animation film which is why the movie is huge in Japan. It was also influenced by "Ghost in the Shell'. Overall The Matrix is a once in a lifetime type of movie that will stay with us forever. It's a Timeless Classic.

• Like 3

Also for the record, "The Matrix" was so popular and so groundbreaking, before "Reloaded" dropped everyone was calling the series the 2nd coming of Star Wars, the fact it was even mentioned in that class shows you how big it was. "Reloaded" was the most anticipated sequel since "Empire and Menace" the hype was unbelievable.

• Like 2

Cypher and Agent Smith were really the only really interesting characters in The Matrix for me. Neo was like Luke Skywalker - a bland but likeable hero. Morpheus and Trinity were cool characters but they had no real arc. They were pretty much the same people at the end of the movie as they were at the beginning.Then again, the characters in Inception weren't really any better developed. I think it suffers especially for not having any physical personification of a villain (I don't count Mal since she's just part of Cobb's subconscious). But both films were plot driven rather than character driven, which worked fine for their genre.

Edited by Darth Homer

I'm not quite sure why people use 'it was first', or 'it was a cultural phenomenon' as reasons to pick The Matrix over Inception. Who really cares if it was the first? If I said that King Kong was a better movie then Star Wars because it experimented with special effects first, is that really a valid argument? Think about it. As for a cultural phenomenon, once again, does it really matter? Does your enjoyment of a film improve if others hop aboard the bandwagon? I can't speak for others obviously, but for me I enjoy or dont enjoy a film based on what I thought about the movie, not based on what other people thought.

• Like 2

I'm not quite sure why people use 'it was first', or 'it was a cultural phenomenon' as reasons to pick The Matrix over Inception. Who really cares if it was the first? If I said that King Kong was a better movie then Star Wars because it experimented with special effects first, is that really a valid argument? Think about it. As for a cultural phenomenon, once again, does it really matter? Does your enjoyment of a film improve if others hop aboard the bandwagon? I can't speak for others obviously, but for me I enjoy or dont enjoy a film based on what I thought about the movie, not based on what other people thought.

Good point. I still like The Matrix much better.

The Matrix is one of those rare, perfect movies and releasing such a film in the year 1999 was legendary.While Inception toys with the concept of ideas and inspiration The Matrix has spiritual implications (Buddhism, Christian, Gnostic), socio-economic implications, and timeless philosophical implications all served in a psychedelic and subversive cyber-punk context.and it has some of the best sound/visual effects and suspenseful action ever filmed.Inception could be debated as on of the better movies of it's decade which is an accomplishment in itself but The Matrix could comfortably sit at anyone's top ten sci-fi movies of all time. A far greater statement of it's cultural impact and place in movie history.The Matrix is not just a movie, it is Hollywood's culmination of the anti-establishment rebellion of the 60's, 70, 80, and early 90's as we entered a new millennium and the mark of a new era.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 1

I think if we're going to mention how the bullet time effect began to be overused after the matrix, I thinks it only fair that we mention that some recent trailers have been using some inception-like music in them which I think will continue for a while.

irrational statementthe trailer don't affect the movie, while the bullet time effect yes. Edited by Goffeweenie

Matrix is a good movie, but Matrix Revolutions is epic, emotional (actually I cared about the caracthers), visual perfection, exellent soundtrack, awesome cinematography, a bad ass final fight and has a great conclusion.

Edited by Goffeweenie