The Master

29 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I didn't watch the whole movie yet, but it seemed pretty interesting from the first half a hour I managed to watch. Going to continue right now.

Gotta admit, the cinematography is indeed amazing on this. Really proud to see that a Romanian did this terrific job. Disappointed he didn't get nominated, though... The Academy fucked over a lot of things this year.

I'm certain that in coming years Joaquin Phoenix not winning best actor will be considered one of the biggest "wtf, Academy?" moments in Oscar history, and I see his thesping in Master being more remembered than DDL's in Lincoln

• Founder / Operator

It definitely was a very strong year for cinematography. The academy might have thought it was elswit, but PTA used a new cinematographer for this, as elswit was committed to something else.Also, it does get (even) better after multiple viewings.

Yeah, I'm not sure how the Academy voting works for that category without looking it up but those outside the cinematography field could have easily thought it was Elswit. The first time I saw the movie, I thought it was. Malaimare and he do very similar work, I think.

• Founder / Operator

I'm certain that in coming years Joaquin Phoenix not winning best actor will be considered one of the biggest "wtf, Academy?" moments in Oscar history, and I see his thesping in Master being more remembered than DDL's in Lincoln

Not ever going to happen. Lincoln is going to be present in American culture for generations to come, not just because of Day-Lewis but the overall film itself. It's a movie that transcends itself into something of a history lesson for the country. That movie will become a staple of educators' classrooms in the years to come, I don't think there's much doubt about that.

The Master, on the other hand, great as it is for what it is will likely remain more along the cult status it's beginning to earn (ironically enough). But buzz for TWBB was arguably no different after its release than Master is seeing. It has some die hard fans (evidenced around this forum), but they're a niche base just like they always are with PTA's films. The arthouse crowd always drives them. I'm not sure there's a better example of that than this movie.

But... I'm certainly not down-playing PTA's or Phoenix's work. The latter gave an incredible performance, but he needs a more appealing film to get the Academy's attention (especially after his comments).

Edited by ShawnMR

Yeah, I'm not sure how the Academy voting works for that category without looking it up but those outside the cinematography field could have easily thought it was Elswit. The first time I saw the movie, I thought it was. Malaimare and he do very similar work, I think.

I think I've read that cinematography is just nominated/voted by film name rather than cinematographer. Perhaps this is why Deakins doesn't have an Oscar, but 11 nominations. I imagine that's how it is with score and Thomas Newman as well.

• Founder / Operator

I think I've read that cinematography is just nominated/voted by film name rather than cinematographer. Perhaps this is why Deakins doesn't have an Oscar, but 11 nominations. I imagine that's how it is with score and Thomas Newman as well.

That would certainly make sense. Slightly off topic here, but speaking of score, I was really hoping Williams would get one final nod. If ever he had a score to retire on, Lincoln might have been it. Then again--he's John Williams.

It is. 

Man is not an animal. We are not a part of the animal kingdom. We sit far above that crown, perched as spirits, not beasts. I have unlocked and discovered a secret to living in these bodies that we hold.

:worthy:

So I saw this last week. Phoenix, PSH, and Adams all did great jobs. The cinemaography was gorgeous. The editing was precise.

But it didn't grab me. There was no emotional connection with Quell or Dodd and it felt like they were simply circling one another for 2 hours and 15 minutes, poking and prodding but never really trying to understand one another.

The most interesting pieces of the film were those actually focused on The Cause- PSH "PIG FUCK," Adams dictating strategy to PSH, PSH trying to explain away why he changed up stuff in his second book. These scenes of how a dubious philosophy/religion slinks by criticism and questioning and slowly grows and grows in size were the best and the ones that hit on an intellectual level. But PTA I guess thought a film about the tragic man-love between Freddie "I have PTSD, sex addiction, alcoholism, and am impulse-driven" Quell and Lancaster "I act pretentiously and pompous but am secretly henpecked and want to taste the wild side" Dodd was better.

I disagree.

• Like 3

So I saw this last week. Phoenix, PSH, and Adams all did great jobs. The cinemaography was gorgeous. The editing was precise.

But it didn't grab me. There was no emotional connection with Quell or Dodd and it felt like they were simply circling one another for 2 hours and 15 minutes, poking and prodding but never really trying to understand one another.

The most interesting pieces of the film were those actually focused on The Cause- PSH "PIG FUCK," Adams dictating strategy to PSH, PSH trying to explain away why he changed up stuff in his second book. These scenes of how a dubious philosophy/religion slinks by criticism and questioning and slowly grows and grows in size were the best and the ones that hit on an intellectual level. But PTA I guess thought a film about the tragic man-love between Freddie "I have PTSD, sex addiction, alcoholism, and am impulse-driven" Quell and Lancaster "I act pretentiously and pompous but am secretly henpecked and want to taste the wild side" Dodd was better.

I disagree.

Booooo