The Creator

Creator's Corner Year 4

8 members have voted

1. 1. Will your film be number one on my list?

• Yes
    • No
    • Numbers' will, of course!

Thanks for Arvika. Also great to see Miracle Boys and Triple Nickels on the list. Maybe I should have focused more on either film more, as it both seem Oscar-bait, but not quite good enough to make it to the top 5. Arvika is definitely my favorite. I think breaking the tradition would have been having The Road Home as #1 lol What song do you picture Julia singing along to in the end?

• Like 1

4 films left. Up first..

24. Ready, Player One (A stellar movie with an intriguing concept, "Ready, Player One" takes that idea and builds it into an interesting and highly entertaining movie with surprisingly good acting. I underestimated this film, so I must say I walked out impressed.)

And now for...

1. NEVER SAY GOODBYE (It is remarkable what this film conveys. Woody Allen's return to cinema is a triumph. Throughout, "Never Say Goodbye" felt so real that I felt I was watching events unfold in the outside world, not through a screen. The acting really bears this lifelike atmosphere. With powerful, top-notch actors filling in the roles, one should expect an incredible ensemble: and that's what we get. But it's the way the actors work with each other to enhance one another's performance that makes this a worthwhile film. They don't even try to stand one another up to be the "star" of the film. They're each given their moments to shine, but they work well with one another. The story is very captivating, and the multitude of relationships and affairs creates a very exciting atmosphere whose liveliness draws me into the heart of the film. I felt so enriched by the story and connected to the characters that I couldn't get up to pee. It was a fascinating movie and in some ways a study of modern relationships. A remarkable triumph.)

Which means

6. The Good Die Young (I wish there had been enough room in my Top 5 for this (needless to say it should still receive a BP nom from me since a couple in my top 5 won't likely get in), but it's just a really powerful film to come out in a pretty powerful year. It is indeed one of the best Vietnam War movies I've seen, and a lot of that has to do with the fact that it doesn't really focus on the war but rather on America's response to the war, and in particular the response of young liberal college students protesting the war. The depiction of a family with dissenting views on the war and the way the eldest daughter is sucked into anti-war sentimentalism by her college boyfriend while her older brother fights in the war paints an awe-inspiring picture of American society in the 1960s that makes "The Good Die Young" a relevant and thought-provoking movie of significance to American history. The acting is superb and the storytelling and directiny are wonderful. A hell of a movie.)

And now to top out my list

10. Comedians (Say what? Yes, Comedians. This is an absolutely outstanding comedy, the best comedy I've seen in years. What really made it for me was Less Grossman, but of course it was just all around outstanding. Truly hilarious, with big name comedy stars all together congregated for a comedy show-off, "Comedians" is a film of surprising substance (yes, substance) despite seemingly having none. It is a very well crafted and planned out comedy and one of the most exhilerating moviegoing experiences of the year, and of years. I laughed so hard I thought they would kick me out of the theaters, especially at the final scene where we see the comedians have numbers on their jerseys and the banners depict Richard Pryor and Bill Hicks. A fantastically entertaining film.)

Edited by The Creator
  • Like 1