Varsity Blues

1 member has voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Even though my experience differs in the type of sport, I can completely relate and appreciate what the core of this film is about. And that is the compulsive, hereditary, obsessive behavior that peers and parents have towards their kids playing sports. I have lived in Canada all my life in what would be considered somewhere in between a city like New York and a town like West Canaan. Take a look at Springfield Illinois (pop. about 300,000) and that is about the size of the cities that I have grown up in. And when I have been to and played hockey at local small rinks, parents become stupid. They yell at the refs, there is sometimes the threat of violence and really it is sheer luncacy that prevails at events like this one. Is it that they try to live vicariously through their kids? That they want to see their kids do something that they never could? Besides Kilmer being an idiot and a control freak in the film, I thought Varsity Blues' central issue was to show how obsessed we all are when it comes to sports and our kids achieving greatness, at any level.Varsity Blues is a great film. And what I enjoyed most about it was the acting and the football scenes. James VDB shows that he is capable of playing someone other than Dawson Leery. And his range in here is perfect. It also has to be mentioned that if this film was taken more seriously than it was, then I really think that John Voigt would be up for an Oscar nomination for his role as the control freak Bud Kilmer. He is the embodiment of an American football coach that seems to care only about his reputation and not his player's welfare. His southern, red neck twang, his pretencious gum chewing, his snarl when he barks orders and his domination of the entire town just by a simple comment made in a local diner shows how versatile and understanding of an actor that Voigt is. Coincidentally, I had just rented Anaconda two days before I saw this on Viewers Choice, and I was truly amazed at the range by Voigt. He really is terrific in this film. I also have to mention Ron Lester who plays Billy Bob, the guargantuanly over weight line backer with a heart of gold. At first when we meet him he is a caricature of every other over weight star athlete. He eats fatty foods like they were going out of style, he is the life of the party as he pukes and then comes back for more and he is one of the guys. But later in the film we see his character grow. There is more to his character than we initially see, and when he is given an opportunity to act, he is perfect as we see how he feels and how hurt he is. This really should be a breakout role for him. Varsity Blues has some of the best football action I've ever seen filmed. The plays are realistic looking, the hits are violent and the symmetry of the completed plays are awesome to watch. This is a film that makes you feel like you are really watching a high school football game.There is really nothing wrong with Varsity Blues and if you enjoy highschool themes like relationships and humour then you will probably love this film. And there is one more thing to love about this film, well two actually, if you are a guy that is. Ms. Davis and Darcy Sears. That whip cream bikini is something I'll never forget. What a dish.9/10