71 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I haven't heard anyone calling this the next Matrix, I think thats a little ridiculous IMO. Looper is just a really, really good science fiction thriller film. It'll become a classic like District 9.

Total Film in the UK called it 'this generation's Matrix' and now every poster in the country has that line in massive text. I don't blame them for using it as bait but it may setup some misinformed expectations.

This left me in tears. It`s a really an old-fashioned "love saves the world, makes a better man" story wrapped in sci fi package. Nothing really new but very engaging and emotional story about time travel paradoxes:Willis creates Rain Man thus proving himself a terrible selfish human being but JGL`s bond with the child Rain Main reverses that allowing the Carrie boy to grow up a good person and the kid ultimately makes Joe-JGL a better person hence sacrifice. I loved it. It wasn`t a perfect movie, loops and TK plots didn`t quite gel and the whole Carrie thing was more identification point for Rain Man than something that really belonged in the time-travel story but as I said, I loved that evil Joe-Bruce creates evil Rain Man while child Rain Man brings the good in Joe-JGL and Joe-JGL saves him from evil and ultimately saves the world and wife he`ll never have. I thought that was so freakin moving.Also, Jeff Daniels was divine. he and The Kid were dispatched too quickly once the real villain is identified, though.Question: so Rain Man was closing down loopers because he tried to prevent mom`s murder by a looper, correct?

Edited by fishnets
  • Like 1

Yeah, I have no clue what I just read there. There is no ambiguity in this film, its all definitive. The Rainmaker took over the future mafia and started closing all loose ends by killing all the loopers. He did also personally hate the loopers and their jobs because his mom got killed by one(but JGL's character changed all that at the end by killing himself to prevent his older self from killing the Rainmaker's mom so the Rainmaker would grow up to be a powerful force of good rather than evil).EDIT: You know what? I'm see this again tomorrow, I fucking loved this movie. Only the 2nd movie I've seen this year I thought was good enough to see twice.

Edited by Shpongle

Yeah, I have no clue what I just read there. There is no ambiguity in this film, its all definitive. The Rainmaker took over the future mafia and started closing all loose ends by killing all the loopers. He did also personally hate the loopers and their jobs because his mom got killed by one(but JGL's character changed all that at the end by killing himself to prevent his older self from killing the Rainmaker's mom so the Rainmaker would grow up to be a powerful force of good rather than evil).EDIT: You know what? I'm see this again tomorrow, I fucking loved this movie. Only the 2nd movie I've seen this year I thought was good enough to see twice.

LMAO he's giving Fishnets the business because she called him Rain Man instead of Rainmaker. :lol:Rainman=Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise. :lol:

LMAO he's giving Fishnets the business because she called him Rain Man instead of Rainmaker. :lol:

You're joking right? I read a somewhat incoherent post and answered a question at the end that she seemed to be confused about or at the least had half the answer to.I knew exactly who she meant by the Rain Man lmao. Edited by Shpongle

Bruce Willis is the bad guy.

He's not, and that's what is so great about this story. Each person has their own agenda that is not villainous at all.The ultimate enemy in the film is a future Rainmaker, and the reason that he is the future enemy could be said to be Bruce's fault and JGL's fault.In my view, I see the Rainmaker as the enemy, and I was rooting for Bruce to kill him.It just depends how each person sees it.
  • Like 1

LMAO he's giving Fishnets the business because she called him Rain Man instead of Rainmaker. :lol:Rainman=Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise. :lol:

I totally didn`t get the joke. I was,like, Huh? I knew I was supposed to laugh but didn`t know why. I know now. :lol:

You're joking right? I read a somewhat incoherent post and answered a question at the end that she seemed to be confused about or at the least had half the answer to.I knew exactly who she meant by the Rain Man lmao.

LMAO no I wasn't joking. I was so mistaken, lol.

He's not, and that's what is so great about this story. Each person has their own agenda that is not villainous at all.The ultimate enemy in the film is a future Rainmaker, and the reason that he is the future enemy could be said to be Bruce's fault and JGL's fault.In my view, I see the Rainmaker as the enemy, and I was rooting for Bruce to kill him.It just depends how each person sees it.

Bruce was trying to do something good by doing an evil act. Depends whether the viewer thinks it was justified(ends justifies the means). IMHO when you put yourself in Bruce's shoes, he was definitely justified. He wasn't just trying to save his wife, but save the future from the evil Rainmaker. Edited by Shpongle
  • Like 1

I give it a C. Movie was boring at places, and I wished they had gotten rid of Emily Blunt (hate her, can't stand her) and just had Piper's character be the mother (liked her much more, and her cameo in this was so pointless as is, would have given her a pont making her the mother) There were several pointless scenes that just brought the flow of this movie to a screeching halt, so in the end, movie average. Was Ok, but definitely could have been way better. After the off screen sex screen, with the rambling going on by Sara, I couldn't help it, but I just spoke out loud how boring this movie was getting. Everybody around me agreed. The action picked up a little after that, but still, I left disappointed. The Terminator movies are still the best when it comes to action/time travel flicks.

I thought it was an interesting twist that JGL bonded with the villain instead of with Bruce and screwed over Bruce to give the villain a chance to become the superhero they all expected when TK appeared among 10% of population. I`ve been reading some dislike for the ending and second half (TK) but it ties with what JGL said about TK when Dano was showing off, that they expected TK to save the world but it became one big ol` nothing. So now Cid has a chance to be that savior TK person they all hoped for, instead of the opposite.It did feel like there were 2 movies in one - a time travel sci fi and Carrie/Scanners-like supernatural horror.

Edited by fishnets