bigm10

Since 2000 the movie generation will be remembered for (blank) franchise

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which one will be most remembered?

• The Avengers
    • Nolan's Batman
    • Spider-Man
    • Harry Potter
    • Star Wars Prequels
    • Pirates of the Caribbean
    • Transformers
    • Shrek
    • Twilight
    • The Matrix
    • The Lord of the Rings
    • X-Men
    • Other

I don't think the 2000s decade will be remembered for 1 movie or 1 franchise, but for the 50,000 superhero movies have have come out, kinda like the 80s for its style of action movies.So, probably the Avengers because the movie is a perfect caricature of that.

Spot on, except I'd call the Avengers less of a caricature and more of a culmination.The other thing that I think a lot of people will remember fondly, is one of the most flawless stretches of filmmaking in history from Pixar.If you go beyond filmmaking though, the defining cultural phenomenon of the 2000s is undoubtedly Harry Potter. Edited by Jussslic

I said Batman, but my answer would be fan driven films in general. Sure, there were fan driven franchises before 2000, but nothing like there has been since. Star Wars, LOTR, Spider-Man, Harry Potter, The Matrix, Avengers, Batman, Twilight, Now THG. You could also argue Computer Animation films as a close second.

It will probably be remembered for the over-use of CGI. It's the CGI-laden generation, and how kids think all films that don't have CGI are not good. Before 2000, it was used sparingly, like in 1991's T2: Judgement Day or 1993's Jurassic Park, but since the turn of the century (or around that time), all films have relied on it, and thus the movies were terrible.

Terrible generation.

If I had to pick a movie franchise or genre that this era will be remembered for, I would choose superhero movies. Everyone has seen and liked at least one of those, but you can't say the same for Harry Potter or The Lord of the Rings trilogy. The time from 2000-2012 will be remembered for superhero movies, much like the 1980s is remembered for action movies, the birth of DTV stars and gung-ho adventure movies, and how the 1960s is remembered for flower-power, flares, hippies and free love (couldn't think of a movie equivalent, sorry).

More people worldwide have seen the Potter and LoTR films than the SH ones. Sorry, but another failed point from you.

NEXT.

Do you really have to act like a child in every post? I have no problem with you disagreeing with my post, but I don't understand the need for you to try and shoot me down like there is only one answer here. I am sure there are multiple opinions and theories about this topic, and as you can see, I didn't make a dig at yours.

If you believe that more people have seen Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings trilogy than all the superhero movies, then put up some numbers, show me some proof. I'll do my best to put up some numbers to show where I'm coming from on this point, even though I suspect I will just get a childish one line reply from you trying to be clever.

Harry Potter 1-8: $7,706,100,000 wordwide gross

LOTR 1-3: $2,911,700,000 worldwide gross

TOTAL: $10,617,800,000 worldwide gross

Batman 1-3: $2,442,900,000 worldwide gross

Spider-Man 1-3: $3,248,000,000 worldwide gross

The Avengers Sextet: $3,801,800,000 worldwide gross

Superman Returns: $391,000,000 worldwide gross

X-Men franchise: $1,890,100,000 worldwide gross

TOTAL: $11,773,800,000 worldwide gross

Before I go on, note; there are more superhero films that I didn't include. So, the superhero movies have grossed more theatrically than Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings combined, and they have been released in the same timespan, so we can discount ticket-price inflation as a factor to favour either one. 3D is a factor, but the final Harry Potter had 3D and about 4-5 of the superhero movies had it, which doesn't mount up to anything near $1 billion, so on that basis we can see that more people have seen superhero movies than Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings combined. DVD, Rental, VOD, TV etc. usually follow on from the success that was made theatrically, so we can assume (without having any data) that superhero movies were also more popular in those mediums as they were in cinemas.

That's where I'm coming from really. If you'd like to dispute it, please do, but can you dispute it reputably.

• Like 1

I didn't make the equation, Noctis made the challenge. I was simply proving to him that more people worldwide have seen "the superhero ones" than have seen "Potter and LOTR".The question in the thread title is not about fairness or equality, it is 'Which franchise will this era be remembered for?'. So I'm not allowed to choose superhero movies just because there are more of them? :huh:

• Like 1

Or perhaps it will just be remembered as the time when al movie seemed to be made from books, whether it be books as in novels, graphic novels, or comicbooks. Sure, movies have been based on books before, but not as extensively as the last 10 years.

No original ideas era, or BOB, for short.....Based on Books era.

Gone With The Wind is based on bookSound Of Music is based on a bookThe Ten Commandments is based on a bookDoctor Zhivago is based on a bookI think the big difference to former times is that then they made 1 movie out of 1 book, now they make 3 movies.So perhaps 2000 will be remembered for Sequelitis.