bigm10

Since 2000 the movie generation will be remembered for (blank) franchise

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which one will be most remembered?

• The Avengers
    • Nolan's Batman
    • Spider-Man
    • Harry Potter
    • Star Wars Prequels
    • Pirates of the Caribbean
    • Transformers
    • Shrek
    • Twilight
    • The Matrix
    • The Lord of the Rings
    • X-Men
    • Other

Love em or hate em, Transformers and Twilight are most representative of this movie generation. Movies like LOTR and TA were more throwbacks to old school blockbusters.

Bullshit. I'm astounded how you can mention Transformers/Twilight over Potter/Rings/Knight.

Do you really have to act like a child in every post? I have no problem with you disagreeing with my post, but I don't understand the need for you to try and shoot me down like there is only one answer here. I am sure there are multiple opinions and theories about this topic, and as you can see, I didn't make a dig at yours.

If you believe that more people have seen Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings trilogy than all the superhero movies, then put up some numbers, show me some proof. I'll do my best to put up some numbers to show where I'm coming from on this point, even though I suspect I will just get a childish one line reply from you trying to be clever.

Harry Potter 1-8: $7,706,100,000 wordwide gross

LOTR 1-3: $2,911,700,000 worldwide gross

TOTAL: $10,617,800,000 worldwide gross

Batman 1-3: $2,442,900,000 worldwide gross

Spider-Man 1-3: $3,248,000,000 worldwide gross

The Avengers Sextet: $3,801,800,000 worldwide gross

Superman Returns: $391,000,000 worldwide gross

X-Men franchise: $1,890,100,000 worldwide gross

TOTAL: $11,773,800,000 worldwide gross

Before I go on, note; there are more superhero films that I didn't include. So, the superhero movies have grossed more theatrically than Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings combined, and they have been released in the same timespan, so we can discount ticket-price inflation as a factor to favour either one. 3D is a factor, but the final Harry Potter had 3D and about 4-5 of the superhero movies had it, which doesn't mount up to anything near $1 billion, so on that basis we can see that more people have seen superhero movies than Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings combined. DVD, Rental, VOD, TV etc. usually follow on from the success that was made theatrically, so we can assume (without having any data) that superhero movies were also more popular in those mediums as they were in cinemas.

That's where I'm coming from really. If you'd like to dispute it, please do, but can you dispute it reputably.

You are comparing 11 HP-LOTR movies vs 18 SH movies. That is not fair. You could pick the 11 highest grosser SH movies and the compare with HP+LOTR movies. You will see the result. If my calculations are correct, the 11 highest SH movies WW have grossed 8.947 billion (I have included TASM), 1.67 billion lower than fantasy movies.

As Rudolf has said, SH movies have dominated domestically, but HP and LOTR are more popular OS by a wide margin. This is the test:

The whole 11 HP+LOTR movies have grossed over 500 million OS (The lower was HP3 which did 547).

Only 3 SH movies have done it (Spider-man 3, Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises)

Do you really have to act like a child in every post? I have no problem with you disagreeing with my post, but I don't understand the need for you to try and shoot me down like there is only one answer here. I am sure there are multiple opinions and theories about this topic, and as you can see, I didn't make a dig at yours.

If you believe that more people have seen Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings trilogy than all the superhero movies, then put up some numbers, show me some proof. I'll do my best to put up some numbers to show where I'm coming from on this point, even though I suspect I will just get a childish one line reply from you trying to be clever.

Harry Potter 1-8: $7,706,100,000 wordwide gross

LOTR 1-3: $2,911,700,000 worldwide gross

TOTAL: $10,617,800,000 worldwide gross

Batman 1-3: $2,442,900,000 worldwide gross

Spider-Man 1-3: $3,248,000,000 worldwide gross

The Avengers Sextet: $3,801,800,000 worldwide gross

Superman Returns: $391,000,000 worldwide gross

X-Men franchise: $1,890,100,000 worldwide gross

TOTAL: $11,773,800,000 worldwide gross

Before I go on, note; there are more superhero films that I didn't include. So, the superhero movies have grossed more theatrically than Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings combined, and they have been released in the same timespan, so we can discount ticket-price inflation as a factor to favour either one. 3D is a factor, but the final Harry Potter had 3D and about 4-5 of the superhero movies had it, which doesn't mount up to anything near $1 billion, so on that basis we can see that more people have seen superhero movies than Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings combined. DVD, Rental, VOD, TV etc. usually follow on from the success that was made theatrically, so we can assume (without having any data) that superhero movies were also more popular in those mediums as they were in cinemas.

That's where I'm coming from really. If you'd like to dispute it, please do, but can you dispute it reputably.

I laughed.

LOL.

Wow, Algren, for the love of God, try not to compare 11 Potter/LoTR films to 17 SH films. That's ridiculous. The fact that the total for LoTR/Potter is so very close to the SH films despite having six less films and only one of them was in 3D proves that their audience was always bigger than the SH films.

Edited by Noctis

Ok, you go with whatever you want. This is not about fairness.And Rudolf, way to go man, you named a few movies that are also made from books. I never said that other movies were not made from books. I just ...Whatever. I give up with you guys. Always looking for chinks instead of willing to see the point.

• Like 1

Ok, you go with whatever you want. This is not about fairness.And Rudolf, way to go man, you named a few movies that are also made from books. I never said that other movies were not made from books. I just ...Whatever. I give up with you guys. Always looking for chinks instead of willing to see the point.

What point are you trying to make?That's like saying Twilight + New Moon have a bigger audience than HP1. It makes no sense, and your post, ironically enough, only ended up proving our point of how Potter/LoTR trump the SH films.

Noctis, I am not talking about the size of audiences.YOU MENTIONED COMPARING ALL SUPERHERO FILMS TO HARRY POTTER + LOTR. I was simply showing you that you were wrong. If you hadn't have said "all the superhero ones", I wouldn't have compared 11 to 18, but you did. So get off my case.My argument for why superhero films will be remembered over HP and LOTR is because there were more of them made over a longer time than HP and LOTR, thus this era will be remembered for them more.

Noctis, I am not talking about the size of audiences.YOU MENTIONED COMPARING ALL SUPERHERO FILMS TO HARRY POTTER + LOTR. I was simply showing you that you were wrong. If you hadn't have said "all the superhero ones", I wouldn't have compared 11 to 18, but you did. So get off my case.My argument for why superhero films will be remembered over HP and LOTR is because there were more of them made over a longer time than HP and LOTR, thus this era will be remembered for them more.

You really are so narrow-minded it's staggering. It does not matter how many films were made. If that's the case, then you can say the X-Men franchise is more popular than Nolan's trilogy.

I am not saying that HP is less popular. I don't give a shit about popularity. When popularity gets so high, there's no choosing between one franchise or another.In terms of legacy (what this thread is asking, remember), I feel that superhero movies will be remembered for the 2000-2012 era more than HP. There were more of them made for one, but because they have been making them for the whole time, whereas HP and LOTR were made for less of the 13 years.

those were 4 of the top 8 all time adjusted DOM top grossers 50%http://boxofficemojo...me/adjusted.htmif I continue just the ones I know to be based on a bookSnow White and the 7 dwarves101 DalmatiansBenHurJurasic ParkGodFatherThunderBallJungle BookSleeping BeautyPinocchioGoldfingerTheRobeBambiBatman (Comic)Lord otRingsSpiderManPassion of the Christ.. Edited by Rudolf