bigm10

Since 2000 the movie generation will be remembered for (blank) franchise

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which one will be most remembered?

• The Avengers
    • Nolan's Batman
    • Spider-Man
    • Harry Potter
    • Star Wars Prequels
    • Pirates of the Caribbean
    • Transformers
    • Shrek
    • Twilight
    • The Matrix
    • The Lord of the Rings
    • X-Men
    • Other

I see Algren's point guys. He's not exactly making a dumb argument. The question was't which is more impressive? Which obviously that would go to HP and LoTR because of theiree totals based on number of movies vs those in the superhero genre, but the question is which would be remembered more. It's not retarded to say superhero movies will be the thing remembered most when that's what dominated this decade in terms of sheer number of movies released and their success. Do I agree with his point? To a degree, yes and no, but you guys are acting like he has no validity to his point, whatsoever, which just isn't the case IMO.

There is no validity. NM/Eclipse/BD1 average around $700m worldwide with three films.FoTR/TTT average $900m worldwide with two films.If a film series averages $700m with four films does not mean it has a bigger audience than a series that has averaged $850m with three films.

There is no validity.NM/Eclipse/BD1 average around $700m worldwide with three films.FoTR/TTT average $900m worldwide with two films.If a film series averages $700m with four films does not mean it has a bigger audience than a series that has averaged $850m with three films.

But let's say hypothetically, that the series averaging less makes 10 films and the one averaging more money stays at 3 films, then a case can be made that the lesser impressive performer is still more memorable by the public simply because there were more movies embedded in our minds. I think that's the point he was trying to make.

We should not consider SH movies a franchise. It is a genre. You have X-Men franchise, Spiderman, Batman, Avengers (including Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hulk), Superman, ... In the same way I can add to the competition another fantasy franchises like Narnia or Twilight. The number of movies do not give more relevance. Saw is a 7 movies franchise and I think all of us will be agree if I say LOTR will be more remembered than it by far.Said this, it is fair to recognize that SH genre has given us lately several movies that will be remembered in the same way like HP or LOTR that are Nolan's Batman trilogy and Avengers. If they follow making movies with a similar quality I will change my opinion, but for the moment I consider LOTR+HP franchises more influential. And we will see what happens next years. SH genre will impose over fantasy because it has many more characters and stories, but for the moment I think next 2 years will be owned by another fantasy franchise.

I doubt that this decade will be remembered for a single franchise (perhaps if the 4 AVATARS make $10b WW)if it will remembered for a genre thaen certainly DOM and OS differ greatlyyou can't say that books are used more as a source for a movie than beforeCGI domination or sequilitis reigning might be most remembered, but probably that is going to be worse in the next decades

I think that if you were to compare the HP or LOTR franchises to Superhero movie franchises as a whole, the the superhero movies will be more remembered as representative of this current era of movie-going. As of right now though, I'd say Harry Potter is the most remembered franchise because LOTR was too long ago (at least until The Hobbit comes out). Pop-culture wise Twilight is right up there if not even higher.

I don't think there will be one franchise that everyone remembers. I don't think any decade has really had one franchise. Star Wars was the late 70's, but the Godfather Parts I and II were in the same decade. There will be lots of movies that are remembered. However, no decade really has a single movie or franchise that truly dominates a decade.I think that this decade of the 2010's will be known for the Superhero genre. Starting with 2010 and going forward, I believe that the superhero genre will dominate this decade.As for the previous decade, I don't believe that any franchises will really stand out as THE franchise. However, I bet that we will still be talking about all of the classic Disney/Pixar movies. The rise of computer animation and CGI are the big things that will be remembered from the previous decade. Plus, with all the re-releases, the Disney/Pixar movies will be there for entirely new audiences to enjoy.

I didn't make the equation, Noctis made the challenge. I was simply proving to him that more people worldwide have seen "the superhero ones" than have seen "Potter and LOTR".

more people worldwide have seen "action movies" than have seen "Potter and LOTR" LOLcompare one sub-genre to one or two franchise is really dull, man. ;)

what will we be seeing in 2050s ?:POTC 20 with new Jack Sparrow, Dark Kinght re-...rises with tenth generation of Batman, Bond 50, Amazing Amazing ... Spiderman with 6th Peter Park, Transformers: xxXXxx, Superman re...returns at the 10th time.......And Harry Potter / LOTR rereboot of course. Our grandsons will watch the same movie in theaters as we what we did 50 years ago.

Our grandsons will watch the same movie in theaters as we what we did 50 years ago.

Forget about grandsons. Anyone with younger siblings got to see them watch a Spider-Man origin story in theaters 10 years after we got to see one ourselves. But you know what iJack says," every generation needs their own Spider-Man," and obviously he thinks a generation is 10 years.

Love em or hate em, Transformers and Twilight are most representative of this movie generation. Movies like LOTR and TA were more throwbacks to old school blockbusters.

Agreed to an extent, although TA is arguably more in line with Transformers than 'old-school' blockbusters in terms of its relentless set-pieces.Spider-Man can also be credited/rebuked for kickstarting the recent comic book movie boom which has informed every summer since its release. Yeah, X-Men preceded it but it wasn't nearly as influential. Edited by Hatebox

Agreed to an extent, although TA is arguably more in line with Transformers than 'old-school' blockbusters in terms of its relentless set-pieces.Spider-Man can also be credited/rebuked for kickstarting the recent comic book movie boom which has informed every summer since its release. Yeah, X-Men preceded it but it wasn't nearly as influential.

X-Men started the comic book movie boom, less successful doesn't mean less influential ;)

X-Men started the comic book movie boom, less successful doesn't mean less influential ;)

X-Men was a big deal for treating the subject matter seriously (a template most other CBMs retain to some degree) but SM proved the genre could make a hell of a lot of money. In industry terms that's what resulted in the glut.

And for the sake of the thread, it's a more memorable movie anyway.

i picked LOTR ,always! but i guess harry potter too as it occupied the book front/movie front/and toys front for a good decade it was a media event for a generation i also liked matrix as it dealt with technology , slow-motion technique , ever since matrix all action film use that trick but i still remember the first time i saw that there was a collective woahhhh in the theatre then you just had to see the film againthe superheroes and CGI use is also noteworthy!