Neo

Will Days of Future Past Move?

Starting with July, looks open other than TABA, July 11 and you will get a HBII/TDK effect won't be as bad. July 25 the week after could work seeing as how TABA would be at 65M+ this weekend and DoFP would be at 70M+ The problem here is August 1 GOTG would be a train wreck. Then there is July 4th weekend which has TF4 the weekend before but could still do good here seeing as its a few weeks away from The Hobbit. Would likely open on a Wednesday which would be 5 days after TF4.

Looking at June, June 6th is a popular date, but IMO it was a starting date like BB which opened on June 15th (3rd wknd of June) moved to a prime July spot for the sequel. Also look at DoFP if it is a good date why not schedule for that date from the get go? The one advantage would be little competition, still early to have a clear Summer 2014 schedule. Then there you have June 13 and June 20th.

May only has the 9th which would be the week after TASM2 (better position). In the past considered a bad date, but ST09 and almost release date of Pacific Rim showed it has potential. IMO not a good choice.

Out of these dates I would pick would be July 2nd.

Thor 2 was the first of the modern era CBM that ventured into the Holiday season, why not for DoFP? Right now other than Mocking Jay Part I, Happy Smekday and Minions are the only movies. I would say November 7th or Thanksgiving weekend (can handle MJI and DoFP). I think a Christmas weekend release would be good.

WB also hadn't had any huge tentpole for summer 2014 before they put The Hobbit there. Then they added Godzilla, but that's still not enough. The only way they could push TH back to December and still have a strong summer is to either come up with a Hangover-like original comedy, or a children's movie (too bad WB doesn't have an animation devision), or something like Sherlock Holmes 3, or a franchise-starter / Inception/Pacific Rim-like original blockbuster, or some combination of those. But they need to move fast.Here, too, you can see the effect of the Green Lantern failure - if it was successful on the level of BB or even First Class, you'd bet they would have made Green Lantern 2 one of their prime 2014 tentpoles. But you reap what you sow.

Edited by Jake Gittes

I also think July 2 would be the best date for DoFP under these circumstances. Especially if they bring back at least some of the original cast to go along with McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence and the others, I think all Fox should do after that is just give the middle finger to TF4 and market the hell out of this. I'm pretty sure that with Vaughn and Jane Goldman back, they won't have to worry about quality.

• Like 1

WB also hadn't had any huge tentpole for summer 2014 before they put The Hobbit there. Then they added Godzilla, but that's still not enough. The only way they could push TH back to December and still have a strong summer is to either come up with a Hangover-like original comedy, or a children's movie (too bad WB doesn't have an animation devision), I thought they did, isn't it their Looney Tunes division? They have The Dark Tower, Jupiter Ascending (pretty sure will be for Summer) and for a comedy they have Vacation. Other movies that could come out in the Summer are Mad Max or Beetlejuice 2 or something like Sherlock Holmes 3, or a franchise-starter / Inception/Pacific Rim-like original blockbuster, or some combination of those. But they need to move fast.

Here, too, you can see the effect of the Green Lantern failure - if it was successful on the level of BB or even First Class, you'd bet they would have made Green Lantern 2 one of their prime 2014 tentpoles. Very true, WB needs a SH movie for 2014. But you reap what you sow.

If all that highlighting is hard to follow:

Original comedy - Vacation (sequel/reboot)

Original blockbuster - Jupiter Ascending

Animation - Looney Tunes (Bugs Bunny, Yogi, etc)

Franchise starter - The Dark Tower

Other movie - Journey 3

Franchise starter/original blockbuster - Mad Max or Beetlejuice 2

Edited by Neo

Well, in that case all they need to do is get at least two of those in pre-production by early 2013. Vacation should probably be the easiest one to get going; Wachowskis would need to move quick with Jupiter Ascending and WB would need to be very confident in them (I'm sure they still remember Speed Racer); same with The Dark Tower; an animated movie won't get fully made in under 2 years (however, they could push back Lego); Journey 3 could easily turn out like Chipmunks 3 and won't be a $150m or even a $120m blockbuster under any circumstances; Mad Max should be ready just in time for summer '14, but I'm not sure it's going to serve as a huge tentpole, and Beetlejuice 2 is still up in the air, plus I can't see it as a big hit either - the script needs to be great (can't expect that from Seth Grahame-Smith, frankly) and at least Burton and Keaton both need to be on board.

Well, in that case all they need to do is get at least two of those in pre-production by early 2013. Done. JA will be in in production by then and Mad Max will be done filming by then and could see TDT and Beetlejuice 2 in production by then. Vacation should probably be the easiest one to get going; Wachowskis would need to move quick with Jupiter Ascending and WB would need to be very confident in them (I'm sure they still remember Speed Racer); Cloud Atlas might give WB the push. I am pretty sure baring some decision over at WB it will start filming next year. same with The Dark Tower; EDIT: WB passed on TDT, but WB still has plenty of fantasy books waiting to become movies an animated movie won't get fully made in under 2 years (however, they could push back Lego); Journey 3 could easily turn out like Chipmunks 3 and won't be a $150m or even a $120m blockbuster under any circumstances; WB needs movies for Summer 2014 and could be one even 120M would be good. Mad Max should be ready just in time for summer '14, but I'm not sure it's going to serve as a huge tentpole, MM DOM numbers and 200M+ OS and would be fine in the Summer. and Beetlejuice 2 is still up in the air, plus I can't see it as a big hit either - the script needs to be great (can't expect that from Seth Grahame-Smith, frankly) and at least Burton and Keaton both need to be on board. Just threw that one out there seeing there was talk of it. Burton wants to do it, but will have to wait for a script.

Problem with putting X-Men in November is that it'll face not only Mockingjay but also Bond 24. I think June 6th is the best date for it but they could risk December especially as the only real competition is Sherlock Holmes 3.

Problem with putting X-Men in November is that it'll face not only Mockingjay but also Bond 24. I think June 6th is the best date for it but they could risk December especially as the only real competition is Sherlock Holmes 3.

SH3 doesn't have a date. The only competition would be Minions and that isn't competition.

X Men cast will still have way better careers than TH cast because they are super-talented and TH has 90% hacks riding on 2-3 good actor`s coattails.

Why do you have to talk about the Hobbit's cast in every thread. Yes The Hobbit was mentioned here, but not the cast it was in regards to the schedule of 2014.

Because they think they are winners for making X Men move. Little do they know.

Don't you mean Hobbit movie? What evidence is their of this? Has their been interviews of them saying they are winners?

SH3 doesn't have a date. The only competition would be Minions and that isn't competition.

I imagine SH3 will be Christmas Day or Boxing Day 2014. X-Men DOFP could either go same day as Minions or the week before, Sherlock managed to comfortable beat Alvin 3 despite the same day release.

Don't you mean Hobbit movie? What evidence is their of this? Has their been interviews of them saying they are winners?

LOTR cast behaved like that, they were poking fun at HP especially at MTV MA,etc and now they are whining about their careers going to shit and having bene paid nothing for LOTR, while HP kids are laughing all the way to the bank with their millions and without insulting anyone. So I don`t expect different behavior from TH cast because PJ is the driving force of such behavior and he likes to cast people like that. They all seem like annoying braggers like LOTR cast. The four Hobbit actors were beyond annoying and now they are in shitter, partly because Monaghan and Astin also proved to be douchebags.