A Marvel Fanboy

Flopped Actors/Actresses Thread

It's funny how often an actor can hit it big on TV but it doesn't translate to the movies while a movie actor can fail (or be forgotten) in the movies and then resurrect their career on TV. You'd be hard-pressed to call Timothy Olyphant a success at movies, but he's been in two critically acclaimed and influential TV shows; Bryan Cranston was going nowhere in particular until MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE and now he's one of the kings of the small screen. Jon Hamm is iconic on TV but hasn't really made the jump to movies successfully, just like Van Der Beek and countless others before.And then you have the truly crazy career trajectories: Rob Lowe, movie superstar and member of the Brat Pack, who fell off a cliff and basically committed career suicide with a terrible Oscar song-n-dance and a variety of scandals, but then reinvented himself on TV, first dramatically, then comedically.

Olyphant has been in some successful films. The villains in Scream 2 and Live Free or Die Hard immediately come to mind

I do not understand what happened with Bruce Willis. He was only in that one TV show before Die Hard, yet got paid a whopping 10 million for Die Hard and had his face featured on the poster and his name above the title like he was Stallone or Schwarzenegger or something. Was that Moonlighting show really that popular?

Olyphant has been in some successful films. The villains in Scream 2 and Live Free or Die Hard immediately come to mind

He's a working actor, yes, but he's hardly the main reason those films were successful, he's not exactly who you think of when you think about them, and they were supporting roles only.

Aaron Eckhart is a flop, IMO. He was great in TDK but that did nothing for his career and he`s now headlining a mega turd, biggest embarrassment in movies ever.

Demi Moore. She was big and than she made one bad choice after the other and her career keeled over. She tried to make a comeback in Charlies Angels 2 and while PR-fuelled media was gushing about her body and called her a show-stealer industry didn`t trip over themselves to offer her anything of note. She`s now mostly famous for being Ashton`s ex.

Edited by fishnets

Seems like he's best when he's part of an ensemble or a supporting character.

Yeha, the guy`s a as bland as a wall paint. Works only as a supporting actor. I think that Ledger cast too long a shadow for him to pop out. He did a greta job but Ledger became the talk of the show while Eckhart laso faced competition from Oldman`s terrific turn and other cast members. So he got lost in the shuffle as great supporting turns in casts where everyone gives a great supporting turn usually do.

• Like 1

Yeha, the guy`s a as bland as a wall paint. Works only as a supporting actor. I think that Ledger cast too long a shadow for him to pop out. He did a greta job but Ledger became the talk of the show while Eckhart laso faced competition from Oldman`s terrific turn and other cast members. So he got lost in the shuffle as great supporting turns in casts where everyone gives a great supporting turn usually do.

:rofl:

I don't get Aaron Eckhart. He's very blah and boring.

Aaron Eckhart is a flop, IMO. He was great in TDK but that did nothing for his career and he`s now headlining a mega turd, biggest embarrassment in movies ever.

Demi Moore. She was big and than she made one bad choice after the other and her career keeled over. She tried to make a comeback in Charlies Angels 2 and while PR-fuelled media was gushing about her body and called her a show-stealer industry didn`t trip over themselves to offer her anything of note. She`s now mostly famous for being Ashton`s ex.

Ashton's "bitter" ex, lol.

I do not understand what happened with Bruce Willis. He was only in that one TV show before Die Hard, yet got paid a whopping 10 million for Die Hard and had his face featured on the poster and his name above the title like he was Stallone or Schwarzenegger or something. Was that Moonlighting show really that popular?

LOL I don't think so. But he was a real likeable fellow. He had a magnetic personality and was full of life. He was funny too. Seems like a whole different guy now, lol.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-ryan/remember-this-bruce-willis_b_2691711.html

Good Article on Bruce Willis' past endeavors.

Edited by ECSTASY

It`s great to see that both Bruce and Ashton survived ruination that is Demi. I never got that woman`s appeal. I just realized Woody Harleson was in Indecent Proposal. He`s come a long way, baby, has a hot franchise, is in demand, occasionally nominated for awards.