Water Bottle

CAYOM Player Guide (How to Play)

Can I release the rights for one franchise whenever I want?

When it comes to franchise adaptations (such as video games, novel series, etc), you can officially release your claim to that franchise whenever you wish.

You know what we should do one day? Give everyone a budget of like 500m or something for their studio and then they can make money based on their profit and lose money if it failed to meet the budget or whatever.

You know what we should do one day? Give everyone a budget of like 500m or something for their studio and then they can make money based on their profit and lose money if it failed to meet the budget or whatever.

That's a good idea, but I don't think the game has been mainly about box office. It's about imagination and creativity.
  • Like 1

That's a good idea, but I don't think the game has been mainly about box office. It's about imagination and creativity.

I thought about that too... It would make it a lot more interesting. I mean, people would watch the budget they use (I mean, last year there was a $315M movie...) and try to build up money and make a decent blockbuster after that..But the problem is, let's say a players makes many bad movies and loses money. What happens if he remains without them? He gets banned from the game... No, we're already few so yeah... They would start a new studio again and after all, you didn't solve anything.Would be interesting if a studio falls on 0M, the player shouldn't be allowed to play for a year or two (game years). Rights would be purchased with money and sent with money...I also would like to make the Marketing more important. I mean you should use your own marketing ideas, cause, either way, the one who makes actuals just assumes that the marketing is brilliant and they give it high grosses... I barely saw some low budget movies flop, honestly. I mean if a movie has $30M budget it's nearly assured to make $50M... There's a bigger chance for that to happen than for it to make under $30M.

• Community Manager

Nope. The idea has been brought up before but it's always been defeated simply because it would change the game too much.

I also would like to make the Marketing more important. I mean you should use your own marketing ideas, cause, either way, the one who makes actuals just assumes that the marketing is brilliant and they give it high grosses... I barely saw some low budget movies flop, honestly. I mean if a movie has $30M budget it's nearly assured to make $50M... There's a bigger chance for that to happen than for it to make under $30M.

That would be interesting, and it would actually be pretty cool.But as Water Bottle has said, these suggestions would change the game too much.

• Community Manager

The problem is that marketing is too hard to judge because we'll all have different opinions of whether a marketing budget is too much, too little, whether a trailer or commercial is well-done, etc.

Not only that, but making a film is a huge effort that takes a lot of time. Considering how people struggle to even write their films, I don't see how we can ask them to spend the time and energy into coming up with a marketing for each of the movies they make. It's a cool idea and we do allow you to do marketing-but it doesn't affect the box office in a serious manner simply because not every player has the time commitment or even the desire to do marketing.
  • Like 2

Then at least make people post some kind of marketing budget and the one who does totals decides what the range for low marketing, medium marketing and high marketing is.That would work so long people don't make a $5M into a $125M movie by adding $120M marketing budget... As real as it gets... Max %50 of the movies budget should go in marketing.And also, the one who makes actuals should use a random generator or something. Give it a 1/25 change for a low budget marketing to break through, 1/20 for a medium budget marketing to break through and 1/15 for high marketing, or whatever odds the one who's doing actuals prefers.

Edited by ChD

Where do I start. Or should I say enter the game?

You can start posting films whenever you like but you only have two days to submit and write films for the 4th quarter

Welcome to Box Office Forums

Edited by FrozenFilms