Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

17 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Maybe Aquaman, but definitely not RPO. Reading about 70 pages of the book makes me think any chance of a big breakout is nonexistent :lol: 

Keep in mind that it's not going exactly like the book. I wouldn't be surprised if Spielberg has basically cut out most of the pop culture references and just made them visual than literal. 

Aquaman I think could do very well, not Wonder Woman numbers but high $200m-low $300m would not surprise me.

39 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Good to see a couple back together after a breakup.

I am sure that the former head of Legendary is no longer with Legnedary has a lot to do with that.

Thought not so sure how much Legendary brings to the table.

Isn't It Romantic Warner Bros. (New Line) 2/14/19
Shazam! Warner Bros. 4/5/19
The Curse of La Llorona Warner Bros. (New Line) 4/19/19
Detective Pikachu Warner Bros. 5/10/19
The Sun Is Also a Star Warner Bros. 5/17/19
Minecraft Warner Bros. 5/24/19
Godzilla: King of the Monsters Warner Bros. 5/31/19
Shaft (2019) Warner Bros. 6/14/19
Untitled Conjuring Universe Film (2019) Warner Bros. (New Line) 7/3/19
Untitled WB Event Film I (2019) Warner Bros. 8/2/19
It: Chapter 2 Warner Bros. (New Line) 9/6/19
The Kitchen (2019) Warner Bros. (New Line) 9/20/19
Joker (2019) Warner Bros. 10/4/19
The Goldfinch Warner Bros. 10/11/19
Wonder Woman 1984 Warner Bros. 11/1/19
Margie Claus Warner Bros. 11/15/19
Superintelligence Warner Bros. (New Line) 12/25/19

Looking at WB's next year - wow, that is packed. Shazam!, The Curse of LL, Pikachu, Annabelle 3, IT2, WW2 are bound to be hits. I am pretty sure Joker and Godzilla 2 will also be very big. Considering how popular The Goldfinch is as a book I think it will also do good numbers. That leaves very little for RISKY territory, unlike this year where most of their movies where risky bets. There is ISN'T IT ROMANTIC, SHAFT, Magie Claus and 2 Melissa McCarthy comedies. And I think most of those will at least do decent too. I think WB will break their DOM record.

EDIT: Forgot about Lego 2 which should also be a success and Minecraftb (is that even happening?)

Also, they did over 2b in 2017. I think this year they will do 2b again or come super close to it. And 2019 looks like a sure 2b year as well.

Edited by James
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Heat Vision said:

Watching that 2019 line up reminds me why Warner Bros is my favorite studio. The studio always delivers a diverse slate on a yearly basis. Minecraft ain't happening and shouldn't happen. Bad idea.

This year has been very good for WB and they've still got Fantastic Beasts, Aquaman and The Mule to go. 

• Like 1

I did some research, and I can say with certainty that The Sun Is Also A Star, a young adult romance (based on a novel) starring Yara Shahidi (Black-ish) and Charles Melton (Riverdale), also has potential to entice the audience that went to see The Fault In Our Stars in droves. It's certainly got the potential as a summertime release.

3 hours ago, PANDA said:

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu

If Detective Pikachu does well, I honestly think WB/Legendary will go into a live action Pokémon series, now that’d be the next Avatar level movie.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

I wonder what’s their next flagship franchise. Harry Potter benefited them quite a lot in the 2000s but DCEU has been a massive letdown this decade .

that's not a bad thing cause it forces them to get more creative with other material. Having a sure-fire franchise makes studios lazy. Look at Disney with their lazy live action remakes of classic animated movies and those vanity bombs AWIT, Tomorrowland, etc. 

WB did amazing this year with such "could go either way" titles - CRA, The Meg, ASIB, and say what you will about The Conjuring Universe but it was spawned from the original idea. So I'm a fan of the studio and hope they get DCEU on track without copying MCU. We need something different form that part of CB universe. 

• Like 2