Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

WB has IT franchise. Sure, it ends next year but it's cheap af to produce and massive af at the boxoffice. I don't know why they shelved The Stand. It's a very timely book and could be a giant hit in the right hands. It would also have a well-justified split into at least 2 movies. 

8 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

On an unrelated note, I hope WB’s animation arm gets amped. Surprised even though it’s the second biggest studio, it’s behind Universal, Fox and even Sony when it comes to animation.

Although animation is a huge part of their history, they've never quite cracked feature films the way Disney or Illumination have. Their strategy for the next few years is focusing on adaptations or films based on their IP which will help them. 

7 hours ago, NamakFiskKa said:

One doesn't make 4-5 in-production movies by getting chump changes for a "damaged" brand which gets console games on biannual period, half a dozen tv network shows , investing in half a dozen more on the back of their own streaming service , a premium HBO show and god knows what they'll have to announce 

DC is important to Warner Bros but the films are really one aspect of it, they won't stop making DC films especially when Wonder Woman proved they can success without Batman or Superman.

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:11 PM, KeepItU25071906 said:

Especially when WarnerMedia has Looney Tunes and Cartoon Network.

Warners studio has, except for Disney, the richest history when it comes to animatation of any studio...only the Looney Tunes charecters can compete with the Disney charecters in terms of popularity....so it is surprisging  Warners'animatation efforts have been so lackluster during a period when animatation had enjoyed a huge resurge in popularity. Warners really lost an opportunity here.

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:54 AM, JGAR4LIFE said:

Not after filming reshoots and ballooning the budget of the film. Sure, let’s call Justice League a success, but it’s not the one it needed to be financially. How come there’s no Justice League 2 announced 🤔

It's a matter of expectations;really:

Warners stockholders were expecting DC Studios to earn the kind of money that Marvel Studios does for Disney;it has not come close to happening.

The attemtps of the hard line DC fans to trumpet the success fo DC Studios becomes funny after a while;itls like a horse that manages to place second n a race but can never actually win the cup.

On 10/14/2018 at 10:54 AM, JGAR4LIFE said:

Not after filming reshoots and ballooning the budget of the film. Sure, let’s call Justice League a success, but it’s not the one it needed to be financially. How come there’s no Justice League 2 announced 🤔

Who ever called Justice League a success ?

The problem with DC studios is not that it's losing money but that it's not living up anywhere near it's potential.  That is why you are having constant changes in the DC Studio management. Until they get some stability and are able to string together a string of well received films, DC studios will continue to dissaipoint. IN a franchise, its' not enough just to have films that make money, you have so to send the audience away satisfied wanting more.This is where DC has failed, and it caught up with them with Justice League.

Of course, I also think a couple of the people here who call themselves DC fans are really Zack Snyder fans;they would not give a damn about DC if Snyder were not involved. WHat happens when if becomes even more apparent that Snyder ,despite a producer's credit, will have little input into the DCU from now on will be interesting.

6 hours ago, dudalb said:

Warners studio has, except for Disney, the richest history when it comes to animatation of any studio...only the Looney Tunes charecters can compete with the Disney charecters in terms of popularity....so it is surprisging  Warners'animatation efforts have been so lackluster during a period when animatation had enjoyed a huge resurge in popularity. Warners really lost an opportunity here.

WB's strength is in short form, we see that with Looney Tunes and things like Animaniacs. That's tricky to translate for feature films but I think using their IP for movies will help in the short term, 

7 hours ago, MaxAggressor said:

Tom and Jerry could work if it like Shaun the Sheep with minimal dialogue and the focus on slapstick and violence. Wacky Races I think would work better as a hybrid as fully animated.

29 minutes ago, gravestonedt said:

WB should sell off DC comics, it looks like they got some serious issues with making their movie franchises look as crappy as possible.  who is going to buy all these movies on home video 10 years down the road?

WB isn't going to sell DC, it's a huge moneymaker for the studio and as I've said, movies are only one part of it. 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

Dude, you want to close the franchise which has ~750 mln average box-office. I don't even talk about how merchandise and tv-shows are lucrative for the company. So here's only two options:

1) You're troll

2) You have a big problems with numbers and understanding how this business works.

both options are bad for you.

Edited by KeepItU25071906
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Jonwo said:

WB's strength is in short form, we see that with Looney Tunes and things like Animaniacs. That's tricky to translate for feature films but I think using their IP for movies will help in the short term, 

Tom and Jerry could work if it like Shaun the Sheep with minimal dialogue and the focus on slapstick and violence. Wacky Races I think would work better as a hybrid as fully animated.

WB isn't going to sell DC, it's a huge moneymaker for the studio and as I've said, movies are only one part of it. 

This, It's too damn valuable a property to sell  unless it's a bankruptcy situation.

Most of the DC films actually made a profit;it'sjust that the profits are not what they should be; they are not meeting expectation or potential.

Of course in Business if a valuable property is underperfromng, heads will roll. The problem is Warners seems to have some problems finding the right executives for DC Stuidios. Geoff Johns was supposed to be their Kevin Feige, but it did not happen.

When it comes to short animated films, Warners IMHO , had the best run of any studio with the classic Looney Tunes. Even Disnty's shorts, for all their technicaly brilliance, was not as drop dead funny. It's in feature animated films that Disney got the drop on Warners, and Warners was never ablt to really compete.

Edited by dudalb