Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

1 minute ago, stephanos13 said:

Do actors and directors have an issue when they sign up for Netflix movies?

It all depends on what the terms in the contracts are (and if everyone involved was given a heads-up before today). Signing on for a Netflix project is likely different than signing up for a WB one.

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Lin-Manuel Miranda and Jon M. Chu must be pissed as hell right now after how enthusiastically they've been talking about In the Heights this year and saying they wanted people to experience it in theaters. WB is gonna have a ton of problems booking talent if big names vow to never work with the studio again.

I mean people can still go to the theaters and watch it. It's just released both in theaters and on HBO Max at the same time.

5 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

Do actors and directors have an issue when they sign up for Netflix movies?

The compensation for Netflix movies is designed to account for the negligible box office. This is why a lot of Netflix movies with big stars are more expensive than what appears onscreen. Many of these blockbusters were made and contracts were signed with backend deals for the top names, most likely. That's going to have to be renegotiated, I'm guessing.

I follow some New Zealanders on Instagram, life without Covid there has almost totally gone back to normal, including theatrical moviegoing. China also has huge box office again. Eventually, the rest of the world will get there. This WB move seems extremely shortsighted, but a lot of people seem determined to accelerate the future of streaming and the death of theatrical. Let's see if it works out like they hope...

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Oh shit.

I doubt this sticks though, especially once a vaccine becomes widely distributed.

...Which won't be until late spring, early summer, at best, for the general U.S. population... and these are just the people that will agree to take it.  So that's half the year gone, at least, without any confidence in cinemas by a majority of the general public.  A 2021 Plan for Warner Bros.' films is set.  Time will tell if AT&T/Warners' move here is prophetic for the rest of studios...or a panicky response.  They made their bed...now let's see what lies in it...

Historic move, nonetheless!

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 4

WB were one of the last studios to have a decent mix of tentpole franchise films with original films. To see them be the first to double down on releasing films thought streaming is disappointing to say the least.

AT&T clearly is doing everything it can to make HBO Max a success at the cost of everything else.

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

This is so fucking stupid. Even Disney (who has a much more successful streaming service) is smart enough to know that ditching theatrical so soon is a pretty short-sighted move that will destroy their ecosystem.

Disney is the studio where ditching theaters makes the least sense. This is a studio that is a box office juggernaut compared to the others. But they must be thinking along the lines that if they cut out the theaters, they can charge a higher price for the home video version of their content and still come out ahead of the traditional model. All of the studios have been angling for this scenario for quite awhile, so they must believe that it's the better model. 

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Disney is the studio where ditching theaters makes the least sense. 

I also think we tend here to think about Disney has a “studio” instead of a “brand”.  They’re a large, evil media conglomerate, for sure, but they’re also about building EVENTS. Whether you are going on a cruise, or taking that trip to Disney Land/World, or having the fairytale wedding, or going out the big Marvel blockbuster — it’s all about going out, socializing, and spending money on that Disney lifestyle/fandom. Going strictly streaming doesn’t really jive with that overall mood.

I am not saying that aren’t banking on Disney+ or they won’t hang on it as a clutch going forward. I fully expect a “month theatric exclusive”, then a month or two of theater/Disney+ exclusive, then open to all PVOD as their MO to come.

All these streaming services are a clear example of the hubris of these studios. Because Netflix has been so successful, every other company has been trying to get a piece of the pie, and they’ve been operating under the odd assumption that they have enough of a name for themselves to justify these endeavors.

At the very least, as much as I don’t like Disney, they are perhaps the one studio who has the brand recognition to justify their own streaming service, but the same can’t be said for WB. Unfortunately, AT&T doesn’t seem to get the memo. They’re trying to throw everything they can in order to keep HBO Max afloat. With that said, I didn’t think they’d be this desperate. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

All these streaming services are a clear example of the hubris of these studios. Because Netflix has been so successful, every other company has been trying to get a piece of the pie, and they’ve been operating under the odd assumption that they have enough of a name for themselves to justify these endeavors.

At the very least, as much as I don’t like Disney, they are perhaps the one studio who has the brand recognition to justify their own streaming service, but the same can’t be said for WB. Unfortunately, AT&T doesn’t seem to get the memo. They’re trying to throw everything they can in order to keep HBO Max afloat. With that said, I didn’t think they’d be this desperate. 

They’re not banking on WB’s name, they’re using HBO that has a huge presence worldwide that’s known for its quality. Not saying I agree with the decision but hbo has massive appeal all over the world just because of got. 

1 minute ago, cax16 said:

They’re not banking on WB’s name, they’re using HBO that has a huge presence worldwide that’s known for its quality. Not saying I agree with the decision but hbo has massive appeal all over the world just because of got. 

GoT crashed and burned in its final season, though. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

AT&T/Warner has a pretty incredible library of stuff if they would choose to fully unleash it. 

• Like 3