Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

Classics like To Kill a Mockingbird aren't given remakes because everyone knows the odds will automatically be stacked against them, even though Aaron Sorkin adapted it for the stage not too long ago to mostly success (it somehow missed a Best Play nomination despite seemingly maxing out its Tony nom potential otherwise). Things like Spielberg's West Side Story and Thomas Kail's Fiddler on the Roof are different because those properties are revived on Broadway all the time and so they are approached with a sense of "what does this particular version bring to the overcrowded table?"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Classics like To Kill a Mockingbird aren't given remakes because everyone knows the odds will automatically be stacked against them, even though Aaron Sorkin adapted it for the stage not too long ago to mostly success (it somehow missed a Best Play nomination despite seemingly maxing out its Tony nom potential otherwise). Things like Spielberg's West Side Story and Thomas Kail's Fiddler on the Roof are different because those properties are revived on Broadway all the time and so they are approached with a sense of "what does this particular version bring to the overcrowded table?"

A "big-budget" adaptation starring a name actor i.e. Brad Pitt would do pretty well IMO. The real point is how boxed in WB is due to their mismanagement of IP & the fact that they're going to need to get creative here.

They've already done this TBH w/ IT and JOKER. They're going to have to do more.

Edited by excel1

20 hours ago, excel1 said:

THE BATMAN has near 100 million trailer viewers on youtube and will easily by the highest opener since END GAME when it opens. WB better not fuck that up! 

If trailer views are any indication, well they are well short of the Biggest Hollywood opener since Endgame, The Lion King.

Edit: I checked The Batman has 26mn views on You Tube. What are you talking dude. :apocalypse:

IIRC TLK had that much in 24 hours.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

3 hours ago, excel1 said:

POTTER 9 would challenge DA FORCE AWAKENS

I am big Potter fan, but that ain't happening.

Potter DH 2, with all the buzz in the world, 3D era and favourable ER could be only 65% TFA, no way Potter 9 is coming anywhere close. 

There $500-600mn deficit to fulfil in USA is too big, and its not like TFA did not do well in Europe, Australia & Japan, the top markets for Potter.

On top of that, if Potter 9 is Cursed Child, they better not make it because it will have FB 2 reception or worse.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

26 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

If trailer views are any indication, well they are well short of the Biggest Hollywood opener since Endgame, The Lion King.

Edit: I checked The Batman has 26mn views on You Tube. What are you talking dude. :apocalypse:

I’m not suggesting what’s going to open to what, but it’s very hard to determine things for the Batman cause over 20m people watched the trailer live on Fandome and it also had over 20m

views on Twitter in the first day as well. So for that I can’t take the YouTube views as gospel for this particular movie. 

I obviously don’t think it will open anywhere near what excel thinks lol but I think there’s a lot of excitement for the movie. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cax16 said:

I’m not suggesting what’s going to open to what, but it’s very hard to determine things for the Batman cause over 20m people watched the trailer live on Fandome and it also had over 20m

views on Twitter in the first day as well. So for that I can’t take the YouTube views as gospel for this particular movie. 

I honestly have stopped caring about Twitter views since I realised they basically count half screen autoplay for 2 sec as a view.

20mn on Fandome is a huge number. Didn't know it was that big.

Just for reference, TLK had over 200mn views on all platforms in 24 hours.

24 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Brilliant incompetent WB lets tons of people upload the videos. You have to add them up.

WB USA: 26M

FilmSelect: 21m

MovieCov: 8.5m

MovieClip: 5.8m

1 Medial: 5.7m

Movie ent: 4.4m

IGN: 3.8m

SenCin: 3.8m

Ingresso: 3m

IGN 2: 3M

DC: 2m

WBUK: 2m

Melhores: 1.8m

FilmAct: 1.6m

FilmSelectSPN: 1.5m

EmergencyAwesome: 1.4m

=96m, lots of others sub 1 million that get s over 100m

21 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Yeah, the Batman would be happy to open over 150M. Which would not necessarily get it into the top 4 CBM OWs that year, crazily enough.

I think you are underestimating Batman. 

17 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I am big Potter fan, but that ain't happening.

Potter DH 2, with all the buzz in the world, 3D era and favourable ER could be only 65% TFA, no way Potter 9 is coming anywhere close. 

There $500-600mn deficit to fulfil in USA is too big, and its not like TFA did not do well in Europe, Australia & Japan, the top markets for Potter.

On top of that, if Potter 9 is Cursed Child, they better not make it because it will have FB 2 reception or worse.

DH 2 opened in the middle of July unlike TFA's December which gave it extraordinary legs. They're not comparable. Opening weekend hype for POTTER 9 would be TFA esque. How well it holds in comparison would entirely dependent on release date and word of mouth.

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I honestly have stopped caring about Twitter views since I realised they basically count half screen autoplay for 2 sec as a view.

20mn on Fandome is a huge number. Didn't know it was that big.

Just for reference, TLK had over 200mn views on all platforms in 24 hours.

I don’t think Batman will open near the lion king. 

I think Batman opens to around 130-160m. Maybe it could do more with amazing reception etc but I’m trying to be realistic. We’ll see what happens closer to the release. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I think you are underestimating Batman

I think you’re underestimating impact of recent poorly received portrayals. Pattinson/Reeves is a new version of course, but Batman Begins was a new version too, and still hurt by Batman and a Robin 8 years before. SMH also hurt by TASM.    

I think the most important thing for Batman 2022 is revitalizing the character with great reception, and then the sequel can go for monster performance like TDK did.

• Like 3

The general - and most interesting -  point is the extent to which WB has boxed themselves in through mismanagement of their IP. They're going to have to take riskier chances with films such as IT, JOKER, ELVIS etc - or more costly ones like TENET & DUNE - and hope they work out because they don't have much else.

But regardless - they're going to have to put some serious money into competent hands & tell them to play with it. 

-Live-action IRON GIANT could make some decent money if the live action Disney films are anything to go by. They could probably make it a bit more action-oriented. Get a big name to headline and a director the internet likes and this has serious Franchise potential considering the happy ending for everyone. 

-Big-budget PEARL HARBOR would be a significantly bigger deal than DUNKIRK was & that did $520m worldwide. The event is a huge deal in the USA, war movies are back in style w/ DUNKIRK and 1917. Get JJ Abrams or Bradley Cooper to direct, pay Michael B. Jordan whatever it takes to star as the cook turned hero and pair him with some other names, show the long shots of flying planes and big explosions in the trailer, get a premium December release? Big $$$$ no doubt

Edited by excel1
  • ...wtf 1

7 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Brilliant incompetent WB lets tons of people upload the videos. You have to add them up.

WB USA: 26M

FilmSelect: 21m

MovieCov: 8.5m

MovieClip: 5.8m

1 Medial: 5.7m

Movie ent: 4.4m

IGN: 3.8m

SenCin: 3.8m

Ingresso: 3m

IGN 2: 3M

DC: 2m

WBUK: 2m

Melhores: 1.8m

FilmAct: 1.6m

FilmSelectSPN: 1.5m

EmergencyAwesome: 1.4m

=96m, lots of others sub 1 million that get s over 100m

That is like every other film 🙄

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

That is like every other film 🙄

Not true. Disney and Marvel consolidate and get unapproved sources removed - do the search yourself for FAR FROM HOME.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, excel1 said:

DH 2 opened in the middle of July unlike TFA's December which gave it extraordinary legs. They're not comparable. Opening weekend hype for POTTER 9 would be TFA esque. How well it holds in comparison would entirely dependent on release date and word of mouth.

Again, I am not sure if you are talking about full run or weekend.

HPDH2 OW was well short of The Avengers next year and TFA easily blew The Avengers in 2015. Like its not even comparison. 

If we are talking about WW full run. Let's just assume HP 9 does $400mn in USA, that will be biggest HP film. That's still $536mn lower than TFA.

HP & DH 2 next big market did $124mn in Japan, which at today's Exchange rates is just $92mn. TFA in local currency did 25% higher.

Next big market UK, again TFA did 68% bigger than HP DH 2 in local currency. Exchange rate today are 20% worse than they were in 2011.

It's just not possible. 

• Like 1

FWIW WB is the only major studio this past decade to have a movie up for Best Picture every year except for one (2016, but that was an off year for them where their biggest hits were all IP-based and their best reviewed movie was a dark comedy from the summer that failed to find an audience). Their gambles tend to pay off more often than not.

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Again, I am not sure if you are talking about full run or weekend.

HPDH2 OW was well short of The Avengers next year and TFA easily blew The Avengers in 2015. Like its not even comparison. 

If we are talking about WW full run. Let's just assume HP 9 does $400mn in USA, that will be biggest HP film. That's still $536mn lower than TFA.

HP & DH 2 next big market did $124mn in Japan, which at today's Exchange rates is just $92mn. TFA in local currency did 25% higher.

Next big market UK, again TFA did 68% bigger than HP DH 2 in local currency. Exchange rate today are 20% worse than they were in 2011.

It's just not possible. 

You're comparing the 1st Star Wars film in a decade to the 8th film in 9 1/2 years for Potter. Potter was clearly a bigger deal 2002-2005 than Star Wars. The "first in a while" factor was huge w/ DA FORCE AWAKENS and would be huge with POTTER 9.

A good HARRY POTTER 9 released mid-December ala DA FORCE AWAKENS would EASILY top $2 billion global. Not even a question.  Domestic, its opening weekend would be absolutely insane, likely in excess of $300 million, even bigger than THE BATMANs will be 😮

Edited by excel1

Just now, filmlover said:

FWIW WB is the only major studio this past decade to have a movie up for Best Picture every year except for one (2016, but that was an off year for them where their biggest hits were all IP-based and their best reviewed movie was a dark comedy from the summer that failed to find an audience). Their gambles tend to pay off more often than not.

Yeah but they do not always keep the money coming in.

I've never seen a comic book character, trailer or movie doing 1 million tweets like The Batman did with just the trailer on DC Fandome. A lot of people who doesn't give a fuck about CBM commented about it and even people who comment about other stuffs like games talked about the impressive numbers it did.

I have high hopes for the OW but maybe BvS numbers is the limit?

10 minutes ago, excel1 said:

You're comparing the 1st Star Wars film in a decade to the 8th film in 9 1/2 years for Potter. Potter was clearly a bigger deal 2002-2005 than Star Wars. The "first in a while" factor was huge w/ DA FORCE AWAKENS and would be huge with POTTER 9.

A good HARRY POTTER 9 released mid-December ala DA FORCE AWAKENS would EASILY top $2 billion global. Not even a question.  Domestic, its opening weekend would be absolutely insane, likely in excess of $300 million, even bigger than THE BATMANs will be 😮

DH 2 had the finale factor and was based on the incredibly popular book, Potter 9 would be most likely a movie-only thing. And I really doubt that any Potter film would get 300 million OW domestic. The USA isn't the peak market for that franchise. 

4 minutes ago, belblazer said:

I've never seen a comic book character, trailer or movie doing 1 million tweets like The Batman did with just the trailer on DC Fandome. A lot of people who doesn't give a fuck about CBM commented about it and even people who comment about other stuffs like games talked about the impressive numbers it did.

I have high hopes for the OW but maybe BvS numbers is the limit?

Come on, Batman's trailer had good engagement but it was hardly unprecedented for a CBM. WB didn't even announce the 24 hr trailer view count, which they surely would have if it was some record-breaking number like some here are claiming. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1