Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

7 hours ago, excel1 said:

The internet loves this movie and its reputation has grown well beyond initial box office success. Get it in the hands of a competent Director and this will be a sizable hit.

It may not do $1.5b world but it could be a very solid $600-700m gross AND has sequel potential.

That movie inflates to roughly $1 billion worldwide so it was hardly a 'modest hit' and more importantly, it was in the top 5 highest opening films ever when it opened. It's hype was huge and none of the actors were real "draws" though Batfleck was famous and Hartnett briefly became super famous AFTER the movie. It was huge opener because it's based on the only 'modern' military attack on the US. It's appeal to military fans is enormous. This is a VERY "cinema friendly" historical event - and the marketing blueprint from 2001 would be identical for a 2022-2023 release. Dunkirk had no stars and is a much less famous, much less cinema-friendly event and did over $520m global. Same with 1917 which did $400m.

A respected Director would be an absolute requirement. Emmerich's MIDWAY looked like a video game. A Bradley Cooper directing & starring/ JJ Abrams directing / Michael B. Jordan starring big-budget take on PEARL HARBOR would be considerably bigger hit than Dunkirk.

Release it whatever weekend comes after December 7th and it'll be a $50-60m+ opener and have Christmas legs that carry it a long way. If it were awards caliber, that's probably a $350-400m+ total with $80m-1 billion billion global. Again, monster gross for a one-off, not Franchisee IP.

These guys really don't have much going on. Their slate is pathetic. 

what the hell is an iron giant

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Not even in the CAYOM world does that seem feasible.

I absolutely guarantee a live-action IRON GIANT movie, with a legitimate director and cast, and a solid release date, makes those grosses. There is zero question.  

Now, I would be more confident in a legitimate telling of PEARL HARBOR. But IRON GIANT is a solid bet no doubt. 

Edited by excel1

30 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I absolutely guarantee a live-action IRON GIANT movie, with a legitimate director and cast, and a solid release date, makes those grosses. There is zero question.  

Now, I would be more confident in a legitimate telling of PEARL HARBOR. But IRON GIANT is a solid bet no doubt. 

Would be expensive as heck though since the military isn't about to agree to be in a movie where the army is the bad guy

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Would be expensive as heck though since the military isn't about to agree to be in a movie where the army is the bad guy

WB is going to have take risks with money thanks to how poorly they managed their IP. Does anyone think investing $250m+ total in another FANTASTIC BEASTS or SHAZAM! movie is a much brighter idea than telling a competent director to adapt the aforementioned concepts?

Just now, excel1 said:

WB is going to have take risks with money thanks to how poorly they managed their IP. Does anyone think investing $250m+ total in another FANTASTIC BEASTS or SHAZAM! movie is a much brighter idea than telling a competent director to adapt the aforementioned concepts?

I don't think either would make money but i'm sure WB would do both.

One possibility

1) Get JJ Abrams to direct Bradley Cooper & Michael B. Jordan in a big-budget PEARL HARBOR  movie 

2) Make it good, market it well, give it premium December release in 2022 or 2023

3) Make $$$$$$

4) Give Abrams SUPERMAN, cast Michael B. Jordan as Calvin Hobbes Superman, release in December 2024 or 2025

5) Make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Edited by excel1

22 minutes ago, excel1 said:

One possibility

1) Get JJ Abrams to direct Bradley Cooper & Michael B. Jordan in a big-budget PEARL HARBOR  movie 

2) Make it good, market it well, give it premium December release in 2022 or 2023

3) Make $$$$$$

4) Give Abrams SUPERMAN, cast Michael B. Jordan as Calvin Hobbes Superman, release in December 2024 or 2025

5) Make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

imo it would be a huge mistake to recast Cavill, he’s really come into his own since Witcher came out and he’s at the height of his popularity. I’ll be happy getting another Superman movie either way(if it happens)but I think they should use him. 

4 minutes ago, cax16 said:

imo it would be a huge mistake to recast Cavill, he’s really come into his own since Witcher came out and he’s at the height of his popularity. I’ll be happy getting another Superman movie either way(if it happens)but I think they should use him. 

Totally agree but I am also beyond shocked nothing has come out about him for future films. At this point I consider highly unlikely he plays Superman again which the biggest example fo WB incompetence of all.

3 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Totally agree but I am also beyond shocked nothing has come out about him for future films. At this point I consider highly unlikely he plays Superman again which the biggest example fo WB incompetence of all.

I think he’s gonna be in Shazam 2 which goes into production soon but I’m pretty disappointed we haven’t got another Superman movie announcement yet. 

1 hour ago, cax16 said:

he’s really come into his own since Witcher came out

I think the turnaround was that great Mission Impossible trailer (the moustache and the get ready to punch someone move were star making moment)

henry.gif

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

I think people liked his Supes in general, if not the scripts he was placed, and many stupidly thought it was inevitable that he would get another film. As it becomes more and more clear that may not be the case, the frustrated fans are getting more vocal. 

11 hours ago, excel1 said:

I think people liked his Supes in general, if not the scripts he was placed, and many stupidly thought it was inevitable that he would get another film. As it becomes more and more clear that may not be the case, the frustrated fans are getting more vocal. 

Yep.  As I keep saying (though I've been wrong before) -- Anything can happen (look at the bizarre "loose sequel" to Ghost Rider w/Nic Cage) -- but the reality is that WB made their bed when they decided to do BvS.  My gut feeling is that it'll be a long while before another solo Superman film happens -- years -- and the next time a feature happens, it will be a reboot, and it won't be with Cavill.  Simply too much baggage there.  In the meantime, he may appear in a few other things until they feel like they've exhausted that well completely.  

15 hours ago, Macleod said:

Yep.  As I keep saying (though I've been wrong before) -- Anything can happen (look at the bizarre "loose sequel" to Ghost Rider w/Nic Cage) -- but the reality is that WB made their bed when they decided to do BvS.  My gut feeling is that it'll be a long while before another solo Superman film happens -- years -- and the next time a feature happens, it will be a reboot, and it won't be with Cavill.  Simply too much baggage there.  In the meantime, he may appear in a few other things until they feel like they've exhausted that well completely.  

Abrams obviously has been rumored for Supes* for awhile now. Will he want Cavill or like Reeves, demand his own Supes (and basically continuity)? Certainly the next few years a multiverse planned as a way to have your cake and eat it too makes this a legit possibility. Cavill might be like Batfleck as I mentioned above, a Hulk/MCU like character who shows up in other characters' DCEU movies. 

*=I'm morbidly curious if that happens. Will he complete the hat trick and achieve the Nerd Trinity of Outrage with DC/Trek/SW?

7 hours ago, excel1 said:

He's been pushing/"announcing" this for years and years now. Old timers will remember Dan Aykroyd doing this during the 1990s/2000s with a 3rd Ghostbusters movie before that (ill-fated) reboot happened. 

You all should check out Shane Black's LW5 treatment (inspired by War on Terror/Blackwater IIRC) sometime, which could've been fodder for a fun entry. It's floating around online. 

Yeah, I'll believe LW5 when I see it.  Donner has wanted to do it for years, but I don't think it's going to happen.  Gibson would be fine, though -- FATMAN debuted very well on VOD and even in some theatres.  He's finding a comeback niche of mid-budget, low-risk productions, as well as attempting to re-establish his critically-acclaimed directing career.   If he did LW5 at all, I'm convinced Mel would be ghost-directing this with Donner...  

I don't think Cavill will play Superman again in his own movie. I think he will be back only for cameos in The Flash (2022), Shazam 2 (2023) and a bigger role in Shazam vs Black Adam (possibly 2024).

I see a reboot of the franchise (possibly 2025) directed by JJ after Shazam vs Black Adam. Michael B Jordan would be perfect as Calvin Ellis.