Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

2 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

Paramount, Warner and Disney are there to an extent (not long term for Disney yet and some Paramount are allegedly 30 day window) Lionsgate and Sony will probably do it as well. 

Universal though seem to be sticking with the 17/31 day window followed by PVOD as far as I'm aware. 

Let's see how that goes.  The power shift starts to go back to the theaters the more studios that are signed on.  If Universal is the lone straggler, they are going to get iced out until they comply.  

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

Let's see how that goes.  The power shift starts to go back to the theaters the more studios that are signed on.  If Universal is the lone straggler, they are going to get iced out until they comply.  

Possibly but I'm sure the big chain theatres like getting a cut of that Uni PVOD revenue which was reported as part of the deal if I remember correctly. 

https://deadline.com/2021/09/summer-box-office-2021-covid-disney-hbo-max-streaming-black-widow-1234828431/

Top Studios at 2021 Summer Box Office

Studio                 Summer B.O. *   % change from summer 2019**        
Disney                 $483M       -72%

20th                  $103.1M             -33%

Disney/20th combined   $586.1M             -69%

Universal/Focus $407.4M             -24%

Warner Bros      $249.4M             -37%

Paramount        $220.6M             +17%

Sony/Sony Classics         $105M             -85%

Lionsgate            $68.3M               -78%

United Artists Releasing $50.1M         -48%

*for period of May 7-September 6

**vs. first weekend in May through Labor Day 2019

Top Ten Movies of Summer 2021

1.) Black Widow (Dis) $182.6M

2.) F9 (Uni) $172.9M

3.) A Quiet Place Part II (Par)   $160M

4.) Jungle Cruise (Dis) $106.8M

5.) Shang-Chi (Dis) $94.6M

6.) Free Guy (Dis) $94.4M

7.) Cruella (Dis) $86.1M

8.) Space Jam: A New Legacy (WB) $67.1M

9.) The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (NL) $65.5M

10.) The Boss Baby: Family Business (Uni/DWA) $57M

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CJ Sarandos said:

Iger is the real villain. He is the big baddie behind Chapek. Fuck both of those trashes.

What did Iger do that was that evil? Make Disney into one of the most sucessful film companies in History?

Yes, he made a mistake in choosing Chapek as his sucessor, but he seems to have turned on Chapek since Chapek started screwing up.

I know it's cool to hate Disney, but let's get real....

On 9/29/2021 at 4:23 PM, dudalb said:

What did Iger do that was that evil? Make Disney into one of the most sucessful film companies in History?

Yes, he made a mistake in choosing Chapek as his sucessor, but he seems to have turned on Chapek since Chapek started screwing up.

I know it's cool to hate Disney, but let's get real....

Iger didn't even chose Chapek, their board obviously did. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, excel1 said:

That feeling when you lose Chris Nolan, but you have Reeves, Villanueve, Chalamet and The Rock in your pocket. 😎

I don't think Villaneuve will stand for day and date streaming any more than Nolan did. He's pissed too. The Rock will go along with it. He's just a businessman, not an artist. Chalamet is a Gen Z actor so he too will go along with whatever is trending.

Not sure about Reeves. Hopefully he defends the theatrical experience.

On 9/29/2021 at 4:32 AM, CJ Chapek said:

Iger is the real villain. He is the big baddie behind Chapek. Fuck both of those trashes.

Iger realized the means of distributing film content was changing a bit and adapted, not sure what is so crazy about it. It was inevitable. There will be further evolution, just watch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

None of them you mentioned are par Nolan. Nolan is $500M guarantee with any thing he decide to make. 

maybe if its INCEPTION 2 or another TDK movie. Tenet was unmarketable and would have been a flopped in US relative to expectations as a result in even in normal times. OPPENHEIMER aint doing $500m. And remember the cash flow formula is different w/ Nolan films.

I love Nolan but the dude needs to stay semi mainstream to justify the price. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, excel1 said:

maybe if its INCEPTION 2 or another TDK movie. Tenet was unmarketable and would have been a flopped in US relative to expectations as a result in even in normal times. OPPENHEIMER aint doing $500m. And remember the cash flow formula is different w/ Nolan films.

I love Nolan but the dude needs to stay semi mainstream to justify the price. 

Just a recap, TENET did $60M in 50% of open US market. In normal times it was doing $150M easily. 

It also did $300M INT, in normal times, $400-500M was there to grab. Marketable film or not, Nolan sells.

17 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Just a recap, TENET did $60M in 50% of open US market. In normal times it was doing $150M easily. 

It also did $300M INT, in normal times, $400-500M was there to grab. Marketable film or not, Nolan sells.

$500m is not close to breakeven for TENET.