Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

Once thing for sure, the Movie industry is not going back to the way it was Pre Covid.

I love the way people are writing Nolan off after a disspaointment with Tenant. It might not break even, but it won;t lose a lot of money. Nolan had a very good record overall, and studios  are more generous then you think when it comes to flops if you are a sucessful director, The thinking is ..correctly, no one can hit a home run every time up at bat, and every diector will have his failures. It's wehn you get  2 or 3 failures in a row you are in trouble.

Sounds like they'll only release in theaters the big franchises (like Godzilla/Kong, Dune and The Conjuring) while small movies in the veins of The Little Things, Those Who Wish Me Dead, Cry Macho and The Suicide Squad are going to be produced exclusively for HBO Max. This is really sad but looking at the numbers, it's what general audiences want.

On 10/27/2021 at 1:46 PM, filmlover said:

One Of These Things Is Not Like The Other Song GIFs | Tenor

I could not agree more.

Suicide Squad is a small movie?

Seriously?

A small movie with a 185 Million budget???

Suicide Squad is a failed blockbuster,totally different then a small movie.

Edited by dudalb

5 hours ago, poweranimals said:

Is it too much to hope they completely overhaul the HBO Max UI? It's kinda terrible at the moment.

It's better than AppleTV's...which doesn't even allow you save a watchlist (at least not for me!).

I'm betting HBOMax will be WARNERMax by mid-next year.  

17 hours ago, Macleod said:

It's better than AppleTV's...which doesn't even allow you save a watchlist (at least not for me!).

It just drives me nuts that I can't even disable autoplay. Also the way that it adds in assorted content like behind the scenes and "next time on" when it's like if the next episode is about to play; why would I need to see what's going to happen before?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Macleod said:

I dont think that particular app needs a watchlist. There's like 7 shows on Apple TV. 

HBO Max can crash and reboot my Nvidia Shield just from browsing the Movie section. Nvidia says there's a memory leak and we have to wait until HBO release the completely redesigned app 2022.

26 minutes ago, AJG said:

I dont think that particular app needs a watchlist. There's like 7 shows on Apple TV. 

HBO Max can crash and reboot my Nvidia Shield just from browsing the Movie section. Nvidia says there's a memory leak and we have to wait until HBO release the completely redesigned app 2022.

Have they confirmed that they're releasing a redesigned app?

1 hour ago, poweranimals said:

Have they confirmed that they're releasing a redesigned app?

Yes and no, new app but not redesigned. It is already out on the likes of Roku and Playstation (don't know how it runs now but it is meant to run better although looks exactly the same apparently)

Viewers who have been unhappy with the performance of the HBO Max app in recent months may find they have some good news to celebrate. A new version of the app (v.50.45) was released on Roku, PS4, and PS5 that has apparently fixed many of the issues reported by users. 

Many subscribers have posted about issues they have discovered on social media, based on their experiences on multiple platforms. Those complaints have not gone unheard, as HBO had promised a fix for those issues before the end of 2021. 

While the app itself doesn’t look very different, and the navigation is mostly the same, the moment you open it, you will know “you’re not in Kansas anymore.” The new version of the app has been rebuilt from the ground up.

Some of the new features showing up for viewers include:

• Faster overall speed - the app is much snappier than it was before.
  • Better stability - loading app and playback has fewer issues than the previous app.
  • Snappier search - the search function seems to return results quicker than before.
  • ‘My List’ is now found under profile - viewers’ personal lists can be found and managed under their profile.
  • Custom profile icons - your custom profile avatar is now available on Roku.
  • UI changes - Enhanced buttons, larger tiles, and modified layouts. In addition, there is a new “loading” animation that spins around the lower portion of the screen.

source: https://thestreamable.com/news/hbo-max-unveils-updated-app-on-roku

Edited by Jamiem
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Cap said:

its a whole thread. 

I watch her on YouTube. A lot of Black critics have talked about the gatekeeping PR departments engage in with the talent. Even with Black actors, the studio publicists will sometimes keep the stars away from Black outlets in favor of more "mainsream" ones. Sure you don't want to pigeonhole a project that could broader appeal, but there’s no reason to leave a key group out of the fold completely. This even happens with stuff with a huge Black fanbase, like Black Panther and Atlanta:

There's just a lot of insular and backwards thinking in the entertainment industry written off as "business as usual". So I guess the PR people think letting the Black reporter only speak to Black actors is an "improvement". Not really surprised it's WB called out here.

• Like 3

On 12/3/2021 at 1:33 PM, Jamiem said:

Yes and no, new app but not redesigned. It is already out on the likes of Roku and Playstation (don't know how it runs now but it is meant to run better although looks exactly the same apparently)

source: https://thestreamable.com/news/hbo-max-unveils-updated-app-on-roku

Someone at Warners dropped the ball on this one. You think for a project as important as HBO/Max was to Warners, they would exerxise extra caution that the software for it would be good, but they managed to mess up.

I am sure it will be corrected but still never should have happened.

https://deadline.com/2021/12/discovery-warnermedia-merger-att-european-commission-1234900737/

Discovery, announced today that the European Commission has granted unconditional antitrust clearance of the company’s proposed acquisition of AT&T’s WarnerMedia business.

“Approval from the European Commission is a key milestone toward completing our proposed transaction with AT&T,” said Discovery CEO David Zaslav, who will be CEO of the combined company. “Today we move one important step closer to creating Warner Bros. Discovery, a premier entertainment company that will be one of the world’s leading investors in premium content and one positioned to serve consumers with what we believe will be the most complete content offering under one roof.”

Discovery currently anticipates the closing of the WarnerMedia transaction to occur in mid-2022, subject to approval by Discovery stockholders and additional customary closing conditions, including other regulatory approvals, namely in the U.S.. No approval is required by AT&T stockholders.