Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

11 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

If Detective Pikachu does well, I honestly think WB/Legendary will go into a live action Pokémon series, now that’d be the next Avatar level movie.

Amen to that. I feel like there’s more than meets the eye when it comes to basing that film around Detective Pikachu. I wouldn’t be surprised if Nintendo declined the studios from wanting to adapt Red/Blue or the Ash Ketchum adventures and instead offered them something smaller to see how they treat it onscreen before giving them free reign.

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

that's not a bad thing cause it forces them to get more creative with other material. Having a sure-fire franchise makes studios lazy. Look at Disney with their lazy live action remakes of classic animated movies and those vanity bombs AWIT, Tomorrowland, etc. 

WB did amazing this year with such "could go either way" titles - CRA, The Meg, ASIB, and say what you will about The Conjuring Universe but it was spawned from the original idea. So I'm a fan of the studio and hope they get DCEU on track without copying MCU. We need something different form that part of CB universe. 

I understand where you’re coming from, but I feel like, as my favorite studio as well, Warner Bros needs to find a property and build it into a sure-fire franchise while still mainting the creativity with other material. They haven’t had a billion dollar hit since The Dark Knight Rises and the first Hobbit for example.

3 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Not really stupid when DC is making them lose more money than gaining it.

Maybe it makes you feel better to write stupid things on Internet, but that doesn't make it true.

To answer your (trollish) question:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?view=company&view2=&yr=2017&timeframe=yty&sort=&order=&studio=wb-newline.htm

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?view=company&view2=&yr=2016&timeframe=yty&sort=&order=&studio=wb-newline.htm

Now figure out which franchises Warner has at the moment.

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Thanks 1

:hahaha:

Did you ignore my statement saying that DCEU is a massive disappointment? I don’t want to turn this into another Marvel vs DC thread but with all their material, Warner Bros should be making billions with each installment, and Justice League making the least speaks volumes about how the property is being treated.

• ...wtf 1

16 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

:hahaha:

Did you ignore my statement saying that DCEU is a massive disappointment? I don’t want to turn this into another Marvel vs DC thread but with all their material, Warner Bros should be making billions with each installment, and Justice League making the least speaks volumes about how the property is being treated.

Shazam better make a billion or else they must cancel the DCEU.....😬

The lowest grossing DCEU movie made over $230 million domestic and over $650 million worldwide. If that's what you get when you f*** up and deliver an absolutely abomination of a movie, I'd say you're fine. There's still a big audience for DC movies, and if they make great and exciting movies, they will make a lot of money. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

The lowest grossing DCEU movie made over $230 million domestic and over $650 million worldwide. If that's what you get when you f*** up and deliver an absolutely abomination of a movie, I'd say you're fine. There's still a big audience for DC movies, and if they make great and exciting movies, they will make a lot of money. 

Not after filming reshoots and ballooning the budget of the film. Sure, let’s call Justice League a success, but it’s not the one it needed to be financially. How come there’s no Justice League 2 announced 🤔

4 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Suuure you don't want to. :Gaga:

Better ask your "questions" in the Franchise War thread.

Oh yes of course, I only came here wondering what could be the next major franchise Warner Bros will have since the DCEU has been disappointing for them. I guess I can’t state facts without causing flame bait. 

1 minute ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Not after filming reshoots and ballooning the budget of the film. Sure, let’s call Justice League a success, but it’s not the one it needed to be financially. How come there’s no Justice League 2 announced 🤔

Justice League was an unusual situation. DC films don't need to cost $300 million. They can make big movies for half of that and if the floor is $650 million worldwide, they'll be fine, believe me. There will be a second Justice League eventually. They have 2 films in post production, 1 shooting, 2 ready to start early next year, and another one finishing script to also start next year. This franchise is not going anywhere.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Justice League was an unusual situation. DC films don't need to cost $300 million. They can make big movies for half of that and if the floor is $650 million worldwide, they'll be fine, believe me. There will be a second Justice League eventually. They have 2 films in post production, 1 shooting, 2 ready to start early next year, and another one finishing script to also start next year. This franchise is not going anywhere.

I also don’t want the franchise going anywhere— I’m a DC fan as well. But when you see a studio freak out halfway into production and hiring another director to fix the film, you have to question the choices they’re making with the franchise. And I mean look at the other drama that has been happening. The mustache fiasco, their main star Henry Cavill leaving (or not?), Jared Leto not liking it, 2 Batmans and 2 Jokers, etc. 

There’s still a lot of potential with DC, but you can’t deny that in their “Phase 1,” they screwed up a lot more than succeeding, and the downward box office earnings (at the moment) show that.

Edited by JGAR4LIFE

28 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Oh yes of course, I only came here wondering what could be the next major franchise Warner Bros will have since the DCEU has been disappointing for them. I guess I can’t state facts without causing flame bait. 

You want someone to gaze into the future and predict what will be the "next major franchise" for Warner in three/four years? Because you got the actual, current answer for their main franchise at the box office: DC. All your other posts since then are fanboy nonsense.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

What they actually mean is "didn't get everyone deifying it on the internet". To them that means they failed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On an unrelated note, I hope WB’s animation arm gets amped. Surprised even though it’s the second biggest studio, it’s behind Universal, Fox and even Sony when it comes to animation.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

On an unrelated note, I hope WB’s animation arm gets amped. Surprised even though it’s the second biggest studio, it’s behind Universal, Fox and even Sony when it comes to animation.

At least it's ahead of Paramount Animation...? (although SpongeBob grossed over 350M worldwide lmao)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Until they make a massive turnaround, DC should just step back.

One doesn't make 4-5 in-production movies by getting chump changes for a "damaged" brand which gets console games on biannual period, half a dozen tv network shows , investing in half a dozen more on the back of their own streaming service , a premium HBO show and god knows what they'll have to announce 

• Like 1

I know it's Deadline but still here's WBs highest earners the last couple of years.

1.)It $294m

2.)Wonder Woman $252.9m

3.)Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them $164.7m

4.)Suicide Squad $158.45m

5.)Annabelle: Creation $108m

6.)Batman vs Superman $105.7m

7.)The Conjuring 2 $98.3m

So yeah all in all they make big money with they horror flicks and when it comes to franchises it's DC and FB. DC is definetely the one that they should invest more given that it's able to produce multiple movies a year and I also believe that it has a higher ceiling that a FB film. On the other hand though, Fantastic Beasts is less risky. The budget seems to be at reasonable levels and the Potter fanbase is loyal enough to ensure that we don't see some Justice League level of bombage. Of cource we have to wait for the new one as well as the new circle of DC flicks to see what their driving force really is.

• Thanks 1