Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

GoT crashed and burned in its final season, though. 

Doesn’t matter. GOT and other previous shoes are what gave hbo it’s appeal. People know what they get with hbo. 

The biggest issue with max is getting the rollout right worldwide and how they’ll do that cause of previous deals with local providers. As it sits right now it seems like they’re just focusing on the US which seems strange. 

6 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

AT&T/Warner has a pretty incredible library of stuff if they would choose to fully unleash it. 

In terms of their library, they do have enough to rival Disney, but in terms of how big they are as a brand, there’s simply no comparison. Disney is a household name that is home to Walt Disney Animation, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and as of 2019, The Simpsons. Sure, Warner Media owns plenty of beloved classics, but in terms of big money-making properties with wide appeal, no studio can beat Disney. 

At the very least, I’ll say this much, at least WB/HBO is a bigger brand name than Paramount. Seriously, ‘Paramount+’? That is just plain ridiculous. 

Edited by WittyUsername

7 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

In terms of their library, they do have enough to rival Disney, but in terms of how big they are as a brand, there’s simply no comparison. Disney is a household name that is home to Walt Disney Animation, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and as of 2019, The Simpsons. Sure, Warner Media owns plenty of beloved classics, but in terms of big money-making properties with wide appeal, no studio can beat Disney. 

At the very least, I’ll say this much, at least WB/HBO is a bigger brand name than Paramount. Seriously, ‘Paramount+’? That is just plain ridiculous. 

Yes, Disney trumps everything both at the box office and in terms of brand/library appeal to the average consumer. No question about that. 

I just feel like AT&T put together a pretty half-assed launch for HBO Max. An example of missing content: how about items like Batman: The Animated Series? Best cartoon ever and the bastards failed to include it so far. In terms of classic movies, you would have a really hard time beating Warner's archives. But so far they have only put the really obvious stuff out there like Casablanca, Wizard of Oz, etc. How about unleashing all of it, whether it's superhero stuff or the classic Warner films? 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, jking123 said:

hmm.i wonder how much money they could lose from this.Like the blockbusters surely need theatre level performances right?

I'm guessing the cost is a couple billion or so, also minus whatever they would have made had they got a theatrical release. So, we're talking billions here just to try and get people to sign up for HBO MAX, and honestly, this could backfire for them.

23 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

I'm guessing the cost is a couple billion or so, also minus whatever they would have made had they got a theatrical release. So, we're talking billions here just to try and get people to sign up for HBO MAX, and honestly, this could backfire for them.

Everything's backfiring on the major studios and industry right now, so they're making their own choices to at least get the content out there.  I'm not saying I fully agree with that, but it will be interesting to see how this strategy works.  We knew that major studios would have to effectively "write-off" a good portion of theatrical revenue for this year and possibly next; they're all already losing money daily -- ATT/Warners is making a bold bet that this is the model that consumers will prefer going forward for the time being...  We'll see... but it's sure an interesting moment to witness!  😂 

Theaters will never fully die.  Or rather, they may die, but they will be resurrected (at least commercially, for blockbusters).  ATT, Comcast, Disney, Netflix, Apple, Amazon, Viacom/Paramount are all probably figuring that they'll be chipping in to "save" theaters once this is all over, as well.  The question is...will consumers demand that this model remains permanently, or not?  (The saddest losses here will be independent theaters with history.)

• Like 2

This is really exciting. I have been saying for years that we are edging towards a day where consumers have a real choice of watching a new film in a cinema or at home. If this doesn't turn out to be a disaster for WB then it looks like this day is finally coming.

Maybe it means smaller numbers for box office tracking. But it ultimately is the best for consumer choice, which really trumps anything else imo. I love watching films in the cinema, and I will always choose the cinema over streaming. If all movies were released like this, I'd still choose watch 99% of my films in the cinema. However, there is no legitimate reason why other people who feel differently from me, should be forced to go to the cinema.

• ...wtf 1

58 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Everything's backfiring on the major studios and industry right now, so they're making their own choices to at least get the content out there.  I'm not saying I fully agree with that, but it will be interesting to see how this strategy works.  We knew that major studios would have to effectively "write-off" a good portion of theatrical revenue for this year and possibly next; they're all already losing money daily -- ATT/Warners is making a bold bet that this is the model that consumers will prefer going forward for the time being...  We'll see... but it's sure an interesting moment to witness!  😂 

Theaters will never fully die.  Or rather, they may die, but they will be resurrected (at least commercially, for blockbusters).  ATT, Comcast, Disney, Netflix, Apple, Amazon, Viacom/Paramount are all probably figuring that they'll be chipping in to "save" theaters once this is all over, as well.  The question is...will consumers demand that this model remains permanently, or not?  (The saddest losses here will be independent theaters with history.)

I don't see the studios chipping in to save theaters. With streaming they keep 100% of the profits.

36 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Their CEO already said this is just temporary

All the doomposting about theaters dying is so obnoxious

They say its temporary, but yet their entire 2021 slate is going to MAX. By the time 2022 rolls around it will be the norm to watch WB movies on MAX. Consumers will have gotten used to it then, I just don't see them going back. Also, I think AMC for sure won't be around and a good chance Regal won't either. Lots of people won't even be able to go to a movie theater.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Their CEO already said this is just temporary

All the doomposting about theaters dying is so obnoxious

If people sign up for HBO Max because of this they're not gonna be happy if things go back to normal in 2022.

If this works there's no reason for AT&T to go back.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CloneWars said:

I don't see the studios chipping in to save theaters. With streaming they keep 100% of the profits.

They say its temporary, but yet their entire 2021 slate is going to MAX. By the time 2022 rolls around it will be the norm to watch WB movies on MAX. Consumers will have gotten used to it then, I just don't see them going back. Also, I think AMC for sure won't be around and a good chance Regal won't either. Lots of people won't even be able to go to a movie theater.

There may be new models, and studios may make significant amounts from streaming and subscriptions; but they will never make as much there as they will from theatrical distribution.  They know this.  Kilar sounds like a doofus, sure, but the industry is populated by people who love movies.  If you're really passionate about movies, as many of the people on this forum are, you understand the power and uniqueness of the big-screen theatrical experience.  Theaters may go away in the form they currently are, but they will return.  Studios will negotiate in good faith with the Exhibition industry in order to get theaters started again.  The numbers may not be the same.  The audiences may not quite be the same.  The power dynamics may shift.  But it will happen. And the major studios will probably be a big part of it. (I know I sound like Braveheart, but I firmly believe this.)

Edited by Macleod

One one hand I'm very happy because what I always wanted (I prefer watching films at home with my own food and according to my own terms of comfort), on the other had I'm sad for theaters.

Revolutions are always about destructive creation, it's good for consumers but not everyone will be happy.

Edited by Fullbuster

This is no doubt in response to their PATHETIC, WORST EVER performance in the rescheduling war. Their incompetence in this ares has been truly shocking. This gives them cover for the string of flops incoming.

6 hours ago, cax16 said:

The biggest issue with max is getting the rollout right worldwide and how they’ll do that cause of previous deals with local providers. As it sits right now it seems like they’re just focusing on the US which seems strange. 

For the members who aren't following the HBOMAX thread...

“We will and need to be a global service. It’s an imperative to achieve scale,” Forssell said. “In the second half of 2021, you’ll see us start to upgrade some of the existing direct to consumer HBO services in Europe to HBO Max, double the content, a lot more capabilities, so by the end of the year both of those regions will be very active. The plan is to be in 190 countries, it’s just how fast can we do that roll-out.”

https://deadline.com/2020/12/hbo-max-dc-casey-bloys-international-1234649813/

12 minutes ago, Macleod said:

For the members who aren't following the HBOMAX thread...

“We will and need to be a global service. It’s an imperative to achieve scale,” Forssell said. “In the second half of 2021, you’ll see us start to upgrade some of the existing direct to consumer HBO services in Europe to HBO Max, double the content, a lot more capabilities, so by the end of the year both of those regions will be very active. The plan is to be in 190 countries, it’s just how fast can we do that roll-out.”

https://deadline.com/2020/12/hbo-max-dc-casey-bloys-international-1234649813/

I read that but I don’t see how they’re gonna get out of the deals with companies like crave who provides me with hbo in Canada. 

Maybe I’m just jumping to conclusions and they’ll release all this stuff on crave for us here but it’s just disappointing to think my family and I won’t have an option to watch these opening day cause I don’t feel safe in a theatre now and probably won’t till late 2021.

We’ll see what happens I guess. 

2 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I read that but I don’t see how they’re gonna get out of the deals with companies like crave who provides me with hbo in Canada. 

Maybe I’m just jumping to conclusions and they’ll release all this stuff on crave for us here but it’s just disappointing to think my family and I won’t have an option to watch these opening day cause I don’t feel safe in a theatre now and probably won’t till late 2021.

We’ll see what happens I guess. 

Rest assured, AT&T has hired copious Lawyers to sift through existing contracts with distributors and talent to reconsider these new executive decisions... 2021 looks to be an equally wild year in movie-watching and distribution dilemmas!

• Haha 1