Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

3 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Using phrases like “dude lmao” is definitely hostile. Your opinions don’t grate on me because it’s not that serious but mine seem to have some sort of profound personal affect in you. I’ll respond so long as you keep responding to me 

I think you're giving yourself too much importance if you think your comments had a profound effect on me just because I said "dude" and "lmao".

28 minutes ago, Eric Karga said:

Moderation

@lorddemaxus @HouseOfTheSun That's enough. I'm busy trying to work on my box office history series, and you guys aren't helping. Please ignore each other, because it's obvious you guys aren't gonna change each other's minds.

Speaking of, just finished the 2013 section of THABOS here. Give it a read, won't you?

5 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t understand how they could’ve done this without Legendary’s permission. Legendary are the ones who have a majority stake in GvK and Dune. 

Majority investment, perhaps some majority creative choices.  But Warners controls the release choices for the movie.  That was apparently in their contract.  

• Astonished 1

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

Moreover, due to a relative lack of familiarity with the movie biz’s unique social mores and behavioral expectations, top Warner bosses Kilar (who previously served at Amazon and Hulu) and Sarnoff (whose background is in television) are said to have handled the day-and-date paradigm shift with a lack of finesse. “The constituencies are exhibition — they just fucked exhibition; talent — they just fucked talent,” says a source with insider knowledge of the studio’s business dealings and executive turnover. “Okay, if they had released Wonder Woman like they were going to in October when 85 percent of movie theaters were open, the movie still would have done some real business. But they’re betting on streaming. They’re going, ‘We have to model our thing on Netflix because our live business is messed up.’”

Reflecting a sense of sputtering outrage that has pervaded multiple strata of the movie industry since the news broke, this person continues: “If they were smart, they would have called everybody beforehand — called the major talent, the producers, the directors, the whole thing — and said, ‘We want to do this. We want to launch our thing. We want to figure this out and make it work with you.’ Instead, they did this. They’re fucked. Now they’re sitting there, and they have all these dates with movies coming out, and all these people are going to go, ‘I’m not promoting these movies unless you pay me.’”

I don't know if WW84 "would have done some real business" in October but agree the promotional aspect with the stars of WB's 2021 slate is going to be interesting to say the least... 

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

3 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I don't know if WW84 "would have done some real business" in October but agree the promotional aspect with the stars of WB's 2021 slate is going to be interesting to say the least...

I agree it was a terrible decision not to speak to everyone beforehand and this will most probably bite them in the ass, but I thought all the promotional stuff these people do for movies is already include in their initial contracts? 

I know WB is already gonna have to pay out all the big stars etc for back end deals. 

This was such a huge announcement to make and to not speak to all the talents involved is a huge mistake. Do you really wanna alienate all these people when you want to get quality stuff for your future slate of movies/streaming. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I agree it was a terrible decision not to speak to everyone beforehand and this will most probably bite them in the ass, but I thought all the promotional stuff these people do for movies is already include in their initial contracts? 

I know WB is already gonna have to pay out all the big stars etc for back end deals. 

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. I mean, you'd think getting the branding straight before launching a major streaming service would be essential, too, but... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  If the stars have been paid up front and there won't be much in the way of residuals and they feel screwed over by WB, what's their incentive to be a team player? 

And just because a star shows up for the interview, doesn't mean their hearts will be in it, or they'll do a good job in selling what they are there to promote. That's always potentially true for any movie, but you know some of the talent promoting the 2021 WB slate is going to share their thoughts on all this to the reporters who ask, and they will ask. Try getting Eastwood to follow studio talking points. I can also see some stars half-assedly promoting the movie but talking more about themselves and their own side projects instead. It'll be fun to watch, at least. 

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, cax16 said:

This was such a huge announcement to make and to not speak to all the talents involved is a huge mistake. Do you really wanna alienate all these people when you want to get quality stuff for your future slate of movies/streaming. 

My guess is that it was a calculated move: they were going for the shock value, being the 1st one to dare doing this, the first one to jump and getting a lot of online talks and free media articles about their HBO Max service.

• Like 1

The Vulture piece says that WarnerMedia is going to essentially "buy out" all of the stars/filmmakers' existing agency/talent/film deals and compensate them accordingly for each project for potential backend, etc., as they apparently already did for Jenkins/Gadot on WW84.  Sheesh.  Whoever's counting the numbers over there is going to have quite a tally.  Between this and the astronomical amount spent on The Snyder Cut, if this whole HBOMax thing doesn't offer at least some return on investment by the end of 2021 or 2022, you can bet that Kilar and his contemporaries will be ushered off to drier pastures by the AT&T brass...even though this whole idea probably came from them.  

I'm not ready to call the whole experiment a failure until we see how it plays out, but as far as how they've handled the whole thing behind the scenes and with major talent?  What a fiasco. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

My guess is that it was a calculated move: they were going for the shock value, being the 1st one to dare doing this, the first one to jump and getting a lot of online talks and free media articles about their HBO Max service.

Perhaps...but headlines are headlines.  The green will be in the movies and the audience response, and the longer-term playout. Who will succeed, and who will fail?  And will audiences be able to adjust to other studios' strategies?  And will they demand that this model remains after COVID?   Short-term thinking usually never wins the day.  

Edited by Macleod

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

Perhaps...but headlines are headlines.  The green will be in the movies and the audience response, and the longer-term playout. Who will succeed, and who will fail?  And will audiences be able to adjust to other studios' strategies?  And will they demand that this model remains after COVID?   Short-term thinking usually never wins the day.  

Betting on streaming is long term thinking, it's a growing segment and there's a demand for that.

Audiences aren't gonna ask for LESS choice moving forward, they'll want MORE options.

Edited by Fullbuster

4 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Betting on streaming is long term thinking, it's a growing segment and there's a demand for that.

Audiences aren't gonna ask for LESS choice moving forward, they'll want MORE options.

Yes, I'm just talking about AT&T's specific way of handling things with their own assets...

This is great, just posted in the HBOMAX thread:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/04/att-dismantles-time-warner-to-battle-netflix-the-inside-story.html

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Yes, I'm just talking about AT&T's specific way of handling things with their own assets...

This is great, just posted in the HBOMAX thread:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/04/att-dismantles-time-warner-to-battle-netflix-the-inside-story.html

Oh, then fine ^^