Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

9 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Also, Mando is a Berlanti show with a larger budget.

Meh, it still has a lot of Hollywood people and ILM involved. It's not some story-telling masterpiece but the "big budget blockbuster at home" factor plays a huge role in its success. I'd be surprised if there's any HBO Max shows in the pipeline with that level of money showing up on screen

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Love, Simon alone is enough to give Berlanti a lifetime pass for everything else.

His CW shows are better than what's usually on the network, though.

I’ll be the first to admit the CW shows aren’t great, but they’re fine for the network they’re on and he’s done well for what he has to work with imo. 

10 minutes ago, TMP said:

Meh, it still has a lot of Hollywood people and ILM involved. It's not some story-telling masterpiece but the "big budget blockbuster at home" factor plays a huge role in its success. I'd be surprised if there's any HBO Max shows in the pipeline with that level of money showing up on screen

Doesn't the Green Lantern show cost as much as Mando though? They just need to add a baby Yoda and then success.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

Doesn't the Green Lantern show cost as much as Mando though? They just need to add a baby Yoda and then success.

Ya apparently it has a “dc movie budget” they said. 

I think doom patrol and titans have bigger budgets as well this season. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Love, Simon alone is enough to give Berlanti a lifetime pass for everything else.

The first couple seasons of The Flash was Genuinely Good.  Definitely 1-3

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ahsoka said:

The first couple seasons of The Flash was Genuinely Good.  Definitely 1-3

Everything started going downhill (outside the crossovers) with the Savitar stuff when it became clear every episode was the same and every endgame was the same as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

The CW shows started off as fairly decent for network television, but at this point, they’re basically just Power Rangers with a bigger budget. Silliness and camp is fine for superheroes, but the shows are trying too hard to be like the MCU, which doesn’t work when you have a network TV budget. They also have absolutely no subtlety whatsoever. I’m not even sure who still watches them. 

3 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

TENET is not a Flop people make of it. WB earned same what they did internationally minus Korea & China from Interstellar. Domestic is Disaster no doubt.

Right - which explains the HBO Max current strategy.

Go after US market HARD, since it's the market that is paying off the most right now in digital streaming and the least in box office revenue...Keep the status quo everywhere else while you see if the gamble pays off...

The response to this has been so awful that I highly doubt any other studio goes this route. As the vaccine begins to roll out, look for Disney to announce a return to normal distribution starting with BLACK WIDOW and reap the good press. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago said:

Is it likely for Warner to back track its decision should things go back to normal?

no, they made a very aggressive and impulsive decision, but now it´s done and cancel will be worst for them

like the CEO said, they made this decision because every doctor they reach said theaters won´t be fully back next year, and they really need their streaming platform to grow too

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

no, they made a very aggressive and impulsive decision, but now it´s done and cancel will be worst for them

like the CEO said, they made this decision because every doctor they reach said theaters won´t be fully back next year, and they really need their streaming platform to grow too

Their "CEO" - I would use this title very loosely - has been SHOCKINGLY incompetent throughout covid. Good lord

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, excel1 said:

The response to this has been so awful that I highly doubt any other studio goes this route. As the vaccine begins to roll out, look for Disney to announce a return to normal distribution starting with BLACK WIDOW and reap the good press. 

there won´t be massive vaccination worldwide by may

they probably will release it in theaters if there are enough of them open, but still probably selling just half of the seats or so. Depending on the situation they can easily make some similar move if they need, because another delay is highly unlikely.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Their "CEO" - I would use this title very loosely - has been SHOCKINGLY incompetent throughout covid. Good lord

i agreed, they should wait WW84 results before make their decision, and announce just half of the year in this crazy model

the theaters situations is true tho, it won´t be fully back before 2022, but even knowing that they should be more careful

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The one thing that makes me hopeful that Disney won’t try a stunt like this is that Disney+ is doing extremely well, so they should be far less desperate than AT&T/WarnerMedia.

they don´t have much content for their entire 2021, and they need to keep their subscribers interested 

that´s why i think some movies lives cruella, raya, or even some fox movies (if they truly create the adult section soon) could ended up on D+, like rumors suggest 

i only doubt they will make this with their big tentpoles, unless there are no other choice

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

they don´t have much content for their entire 2021, and they need to keep their subscribers interested 

that´s why i think some movies lives cruella, raya, or even some fox movies (if they truly create the adult section soon) could ended up on D+, like rumors suggest 

i only doubt they will make this with their big tentpoles, unless there are no other choice

If they can get the MCU shows that are currently slated for 2021 out that year, as well as season 3 of The Mandalorian, I think they should be fine.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Right - which explains the HBO Max current strategy.

Go after US market HARD, since it's the market that is paying off the most right now in digital streaming and the least in box office revenue...Keep the status quo everywhere else while you see if the gamble pays off...

Problem is that internationally TENET did numbers in legs. With release on HBO Max, those legs won't be so great. Should have given 2-3 weeks window to international.

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

The one thing that makes me hopeful that Disney won’t try a stunt like this is that Disney+ is doing extremely well, so they should be far less desperate than AT&T/WarnerMedia.

I think anything is possible right now. Disney might want to follow Warner's path to try and have MAX pick up less subscribers. At the end of the day, it comes down to how far Disney wants to go in the streaming wars. I can assure you right now that all the higher ups at Disney are having serious discussions as to what their next move is going to be. I am sure that WB's move was 100% unexpected and caught everyone in the movie industry off-guard. What happens next can end up being one of Disney's biggest decisions with repercussions that can last decades to come. Honestly, I am 50/50 that Disney will do something similar to what WB did. Now, I love the BO, but WB just launched a nuke. They literally declared war with the move they just made. Yes, I am going to call it for what it is, the studios and cinema chains and streaming entities are now in a full out war. I guess we can call it World War Streaming or WWS for short.

• Like 1