Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

11 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Stankey ruined everything. I was so excited after Fandome this year. I realize WB is more then DC but moves like this are gonna deter good talent from wanting to work with them on any projects. 

So disappointing. 

Out of likes but so much this. That CNBC article truely painted him as a jealous idiot and I think that his obsession with being Netflix fucked over what was once a great studio and let’s not forget he idiotically ousted Richard Plepler from HBO which was just as moronic. 

Edited by Jamiem
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jamiem said:

Out of likes but so much this. That CNBC article truely painted him as a jealous idiot and I think that his obsession with being Netflix fucked over what was once a great studio and let’s not forget he idiotically ousted Richard Plepler from HBO which was just as moronic. 

I’m not sure I see any way this works out well for WB in the end, it seems like the studio was just sacrificed for hbomax, really sad.

I truly hope they sell DC to someone, Stankey seems like he doesn’t even realize/care what he has so I hope he’s dumb enough to sell that IP. 

4 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

If you only want sagas and brands then yes. Theatres are not the only ones in danger but also creators who now will have to attach to algorythms to see if can have a project greenlit or not and instead go to direct the 100th part of anoooother saga. And still I don't know if studios can carry 8+ $200M projects for streaming services when it's clear that there is a limit for growth unless they burn money for many many years. Disney can't afford that in the short term as they already don't have any other source of revenue and AT&T/Warner Media have a large debt.

Not necessarily.

The war from content also means there will be much more creative freedom and lower budget movies/shows trying to bet on innovative stories and concepts. Series like The Mandalorian, Wanda Vision...etc...are emerging exactly because of that, and it'll make projects like Cruella reach a wider audience instead of being flops in theaters or at least mild successes.

Streaming might lead to an era of renewed creativity.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I’m not sure I see any way this works out well for WB in the end, it seems like the studio was just sacrificed for hbomax, really sad.

I truly hope they sell DC to someone, Stankey seems like he doesn’t even realize/care what he has so I hope he’s dumb enough to sell that IP. 

DC is such a wealth of characters that it would be ducking hilarious if they sold that only for the likes of hypothetically universal picking it up and making it into a cash cow.

DC has been mismanaged for a while now even before AT&T got involved but if they can get the right person at the top it could flourish, they have(maybe had post MCU) stronger characters than Marvel at the top of the roster Justice League was way bigger than Avengers (although back in the day a more suitable comparison may have been X-Men but even then JL was still bigger)

Hopefully someday DC thrives in non-animated cinema/TV.  

Edited by Jamiem

As I said yesterday

. Sources say even Suicide Squad director James Gunn, who is platform-agnostic, was not pleased when the studio followed its shocking announcement by floating a lackluster formula for compensating him and other profit participants in the film.”

4 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

DC is such a wealth of characters that it would be ducking hilarious if they sold that only for the likes of hypothetically universal picking it up and making it into a cash cow.

DC has been mismanaged for a while now even before AT&T got involved but if they can get the right person at the top it could flourish, they have(maybe had post MCU) stronger characters than Marvel at the top of the roster Justice League was way bigger than Avengers (although back in the day a more suitable comparison may have been X-Men but even then JL was still bigger)

Hopefully someday DC thrives in non-animated cinema/TV.  

That’s my hope. I’m not feeling great right now about the future of DC. 

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

I mean they just won a shit-ton of Emmys for a non-animated TV show

That’s true, Watchmen was great.

They’ve had some hits here and there over the years but still could be way better. 

Edited by Jamiem
  • Like 1

Tell us how you really feel, Chris...

Some of our industry’s biggest filmmakers and most important movie stars went to bed the night before thinking they were working for the greatest movie studio and woke up to find out they were working for the worst streaming service,” filmmaker Christopher Nolan, whose relationship with Warners dates back to Batman Begins in 2005, said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter.

Nolan added: “Warner Bros. had an incredible machine for getting a filmmaker’s work out everywhere, both in theaters and in the home, and they are dismantling it as we speak. They don’t even understand what they’re losing. Their decision makes no economic sense and even the most casual Wall Street investor can see the difference between disruption and dysfunction.”

Everybody's mad and wants to get paid (duh):

Much of this outrage will surely be soothed if WarnerMedia is prepared to write big checks to all the profit participants in the films that have been moved. “It’s a critical time for them, at the highest, level, to make this right with the talent,” says one rep. But agents say the guidance that’s been provided so far suggests that the company isn’t planning to offer what is now called "Wonder Woman money," in honor of the rich deal the studio gave profit participants in Wonder Woman 1984 when that film was moved to HBOMax. 

WarnerMedia had to shovel tens of millions at Gal Godot and the other key players because the company wants a third in the series. But that sets the bar high. Sources say even Suicide Squad director James Gunn, who is platform-agnostic, was not pleased when the studio followed its shocking announcement by floating a lackluster formula for compensating him and other profit participants in the film.

At minimum, WarnerMedia has opened the door to arduous negotiations with the major agencies over compensation for multiple profit participants in 17 movies. Did the Warners numbers crunchers, in projecting the cost of premiering its entire 2021 slate on HBO Max, factor in the cost of widely anticipated legal challenges? Industry insiders believe WarnerMedia may have opened itself up to those, especially as it is selling the movies to its own streaming platform when none of the profit participants has had a chance to figure out what Apple or Netflix might have paid for the opportunity to stream their projects day-and-date. Allegations of self-dealing are almost sure to follow.

Says an agent who represents extremely important talent with business at Warners: “You had a decades-long legacy as being known as the most talent-friendly studio. Now you’ve gone from that to a studio that in starburst colors lit up a sign that says, `We don’t give a fuck about talent.’”

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's likely gonna be a dark and uneventful next couple of years at WB. Tough to imagine they'll have an easy time booking in-demand talent after all the bridges they just burned in this ultimate PR nightmare that they've walked right into.

I just hope they don't just migrate to Disney. That shit's big enough as is.

• Like 1

Nolan's gotta calm down to be honest lol. Like it's obviously not surprising he's upset, and he along with many others have the right to be upset, but it just makes the man look salty af after playing himself with Tenet's release strategy

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ZERO chance that WB do not reverse course in the very near point. This is an unmitigated disaster. There will without question need to be personnel changes at the c-level if they want to save some face. 

This is all do to their beyond incompetent handling of release dates. 

Edited by excel1