Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

We also have to keep in mind that an HBO/HBO Max subscription costs twice as much as a Disney+ subscription, so they only need half the amount of subscribers to get the same revenue.

WB’s film slate if each film has an average budget of a little under $100m would be about $1.5B (which is maybe too low it was hard to find budgets for the smaller titles.) HBO (non-MAX) was already spending about $2B on content, plus you have the MAX originals and licensing deals some the own like Friends, BBT which is just pushing money around the company (aside from paying profit participants) but they also have third party stuff like Ghibli and South Park.

So all told they may have anywhere from $4-6B in content spend next year meaning 22-33m subs paying just for that stuff, not including marketing, technology, staff spending etc. I would say that is the figure HBO is aiming for MAX subs/activations plus maybe 5-10m new HBO total subs (regular+MAX) which is  ~43-48m by end of 2021. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Google delayed its intended return-to-work date from June to September 2021, which shows things aren't expected to go back to normal until later in the year, even with vaccination already starting. I believe a year from now the industry will be looking differently at WarnerMedia's decision, as I don't see a better alternative for them. We also have to keep in mind that an HBO/HBO Max subscription costs twice as much as a Disney+ subscription, so they only need half the amount of subscribers to get the same revenue.

I agree. 

Will be interesting to see when people realise that 2021 will be the same f shit as 2020 and many of these blockbusters end up on streaming, and HBO Max decision start to make sense (not that it was their intention but still). But of course media outlets would never accept that.

Edited by belblazer
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Since Reminiscence is likely to get an exclusive theatrical release now, how long till we see half their slate move to theatrical exclusive? Should certainly make it more likely the Legendary films go theatrical exclusive.

WB just made the announcement to get people to sign up to max and now they’re gonna change it all back lol. Probably didn’t work either.

What's kinda funny about the film being the first WB film to go theatrical exclusive next year and maybe even starting a push for their other movies to go theatrical exclusive is that the director, Lisa Joy, is related to Nolan (who, as we all know, is the biggest supporter of theatrical exhibition).

Jeff Robinov is on his way back to Hollywood with Studio 8.  For those not familiar with your recent studio history -- read thisRobinov is credited with bringing Nolan into Warners and Batman back into hipness, and signing the Wachowskis for The Matrix -- and he is still well-loved in town. 

Let's see what happens.  Would be kind of karmic justice if Robinov were somehow able to make Studio 8 into the next big production company, or indeed work his way back into whatever new iteration of WarnerMedia unfolds (after this year's debacle) to achieve a position of creative/business influence in executive terms that he probably should have won over "the home video guy" Kevin Tsujihara.  

Former Warner Bros. Exec Jeff Robinov Quietly Mounts His Hollywood Comeback

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/former-warner-bros-exec-jeff-robinov-quietly-mounts-his-hollywood-comeback

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BeastByTheBay said:

Legendary hasn't done anything yet

But they sure as hell have made their displeasure with WB known. You always announce a lawsuit before you acturally fire the motion.

WB is going to have to either get ready for a court battle or give a lot more compensation then they have offered to their production partners for lost theatrical revenues.

56 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Denzel Washington and the Chinese production company of Malignant is also unhappy with this.

Also wtf is with those comments. Do they not realise that multi-millionaire studio execs are making these decisions are the ones to benefit the most?

Some people would rather have convenience at any cost.

• Like 1

Half the stuff they announced to come to max probably isn’t going to debut there honestly, I don’t see them following through with all the backlash.

They’ll pay off whoever they can and then they release the bigger movies with a shorter theatrical window (as long as theatres are in a better spot). 

If they completely get rid of theatrical in 2021 then they will have to lay off thousands of employees and shut down entire divisions within the studio so I don't see them sticking to their HBO MAX plans. I am expecting them to revisit it in six months max.

Edited to Add : HBO Max had 12.6 million active subscribers as of early December. I'm guessing that they must be hoping for 20 million at the end of the quarter to justify the Wonder Woman sacrifice.

Edited by TLK

29 minutes ago, TLK said:

If they completely get rid of theatrical in 2021 then they will have to lay off thousands of employees and shut down entire divisions within the studio so I don't see them sticking to their HBO MAX plans. I am expecting them to revisit it in six months max.

Edited to Add : HBO Max had 12.6 million active subscribers as of early December. I'm guessing that they must be hoping for 20 million at the end of the quarter to justify the Wonder Woman sacrifice.

And as the actions of Legendary show, they will have severe legal problems with films  which have  other studios involved, who will take a huge loss of revenue from lack of theatrical release but without much of a profit from HBO MAX.

Whatever compensation WB was offering their production partners was sure as hell not enough.

13 minutes ago, Wormow said:

I can't find the Youtube video or any social media post on the 2021 slate to HBO Max anymore. Is it scrubbed or am I going crazy?

If scrubbed, seems like WB are working to change things in the background now. 

Still up on Twitter

• Astonished 1

Just now, Wormow said:

Ah, thank you!!

I do think the YT one is gone though, can't seem to find it and I've been watching it like every day lol 

Yeah I also couldn't find the YouTube one so that one may have been taken down for one reason or another.