Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

41 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

That wouldn’t make much sense for Warner’s, but with the way they’ve been acting this year I guess anything is possible.

If theaters are gonna try to squeeze them, why wouldn’t it make sense? I’d rather make no money and hurt the people trying to hurt me than just get roughed by theaters.

25 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And lawyers will make lots of money from the legal fallout if that happens. In their co productiong, Warners is under legal obligation to give a thretrical release, and I don't think they can fall back on an "Act of God" in this situation.

Just have them pick a few random theaters around the country and they can have limited release, like award qualification numbers. That would meet the legal requirement if there is any.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

If theaters are gonna try to squeeze them, why wouldn’t it make sense? I’d rather make no money and hurt the people trying to hurt me than just get roughed by theaters.

Just have them pick a few random theaters around the country and they can have limited release, like award qualification numbers. That would meet the legal requirement if there is any.

And in the span of just 2 years we would go from 5 major studios to just 3 as Fox was bought by Disney and Warner Brothers rage quit.

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

It will boost the concessions, which the theaters keep and make most of their money on, anyway.

That a myth (either it was true in a different I do not know) but not since I follow the movie industry.

in 2019 financial year for AMC

Admission: 3,301.3 millions in revenues, 1,699.1 in cost = 1602.2 million in operating income (48.5%)

Food & beverage: 1,719.6 million in revenues, 278.7 in cost = 1440.9 million in operation income

Concessions margins are incredibly higher, they make a large part of their money on it (not far from half), but usually most of the money is their share they keep from tickets.

Regal 2017

https://sec.report/Document/0001168696-18-000003/

Admissions: 2,008.1 millions in revenues - 1,067.8 in cost

Concessions: 930.2 milliosn in revenue - 123.8 in cost

Against not by much, but most of the operating income from admissions.

Dollars theater chain is probably a case for which it is true, but the fancy big chains with 3d tickets, that do not seem to be the case.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Of course there are legal obligations for a threatical release, Has been SOP in cotracts for years.

As for a minimal release meeting obligations, maybe not.

Several people have sucessfully sued companies arguingng that minimal fullfulment of obligations amounted to a attempt to evade the conractual obligations.

And of course, f Warners did try that tactic, it would do huge damage to theri reputation in the film industry.who the whll would want to make a deal with them after that.

1 hour ago, VenomXXR said:

I wonder if this is their "hardball" position to any particular movie whose folks won't negotiate...I mean, they moved off that mid-Jan release date so it's there for any WB movie finished...and there won't be that many open theaters that are getting foot traffic outside of TX and FL...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

One can't blame theaters for heavily slashing ticket prices for their movies when they're almost certainly still pissed at them for having already screwed them over with the whole Tenet business where the studio was contractually obligated to get 65% of the gross (meaning exhibitors made very little money given how few people braved the pandemic to see it).

• Like 1

TENET is tough because theaters basically reopened for that movie and it did bring them so SORELY neeeded revenue (even if it isn't much). I am also still of the opinion that that film would not have don't close to as well as some around expected. The marketing beyond terrible.

This, sadly, looks to have been a true megahit in usual times. I could see this doing surprisingly well for the circumstances but ugh. This looks like it would have been a $150/450/$1.1-1.2b global hit. 

3 hours ago, excel1 said:

TENET is tough because theaters basically reopened for that movie and it did bring them so SORELY neeeded revenue (even if it isn't much). I am also still of the opinion that that film would not have don't close to as well as some around expected. The marketing beyond terrible.

This, sadly, looks to have been a true megahit in usual times. I could see this doing surprisingly well for the circumstances but ugh. This looks like it would have been a $150/450/$1.1-1.2b global hit. 

Seems unlikely, it would have needed China to hit those numbers and China numbers are not that great.

5 hours ago, excel1 said:

The marketing was fine. It wouldn't have opened anywhere close to as much as it did if the marketing was terrible. Word of mouth would've been a much larger reason for holding back the film's gross, which it didn't even seem to by much outside of China.

Edited by lorddemaxus

20 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

I wonder if this is their "hardball" position to any particular movie whose folks won't negotiate...I mean, they moved off that mid-Jan release date so it's there for any WB movie finished...and there won't be that many open theaters that are getting foot traffic outside of TX and FL...

Honestly most of these rumors in the trades seem like fan fiction written by agents.  What theater chain is going to even threaten to try this with WB right now?  Pull a stunt like this and see how fast the encryption key changes and good luck staying solvent with nothing to show until mid Feb and nothing big until April.  And who could even do this that would make any difference?  AMC can't afford to take this chance.  Regal is shut down.  Cinemark is doing the best of the 3 but they are not exactly thriving.  Marcus is a distance 4th and everyone else has a tenth of the screens of 3rd place Cinemark or less so they won't make a difference.  

I don't buy most of the talent being all that upset either.  Where was any outrage when Universal shoved down a 14 day window?  Because there is just so much difference between a 14 day window and a 0 day window.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

A. A good lawyer could make a case that a token theatrical release amounts to an evasion of the contratucl boligationk since thee was a uncderstanding that a full threatircal release was what was agreed to verbally. Contract law gets really complex, and original intent can become inportant.

B.Other studios would simply not trust Warners after this,which would be very damagint to Warners.

1 hour ago, jimisawesome said:

Honestly most of these rumors in the trades seem like fan fiction written by agents.  What theater chain is going to even threaten to try this with WB right now?  Pull a stunt like this and see how fast the encryption key changes and good luck staying solvent with nothing to show until mid Feb and nothing big until April.  And who could even do this that would make any difference?  AMC can't afford to take this chance.  Regal is shut down.  Cinemark is doing the best of the 3 but they are not exactly thriving.  Marcus is a distance 4th and everyone else has a tenth of the screens of 3rd place Cinemark or less so they won't make a difference.  

I don't buy most of the talent being all that upset either.  Where was any outrage when Universal shoved down a 14 day window?  Because there is just so much difference between a 14 day window and a 0 day window.  

Why are you so worshipful of  Warners Bes. managment?

If you don't see why "the talent" or other production companies would be angry about the loss of revenue, you are really ignorant of the realities  of the film business.

or are you just indulging in the fanboy follishess of picking a side to root for, and rooting for them no matter what?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

The marketing was fine. It wouldn't have opened anywhere close to as much as it did if the marketing was terrible. Word of mouth would've been a much larger reason for holding back the film's gross, which it didn't even seem to by much outside of China.

Marketing was not fine. I bet that film opens to $40 millionths and barely tops $100 million in normal conditions. 

58 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Why are you so worshipful of  Warners Bes. managment?

If you don't see why "the talent" or other production companies would be angry about the loss of revenue, you are really ignorant of the realities  of the film business.

or are you just indulging in the fanboy follishess of picking a side to root for, and rooting for them no matter what?

You have spent the last 5 months suggesting that going to the theater was Russian roulette but with 5 chambers loaded but now you are upset that Studios are going well people like dubalb will not be showing up to the theater any time soon maybe we need to come up with new plans going forward and your surprised?  While a few others and myself where screaming theaters need product to keep the doors open.  WB has been basically the only major studio giving theaters product.

So I have some questions for you.

What do the next 12 months look like?

When are you going back to the theater?

When do you expect the public as a whole to go back to theaters?

Who is paying to keep theaters afloat until that time? 

Who else besides WB is releasing A level product in that time?

When is capacity going to 100% in CA, IL and NY?

When will NY allow theaters to open up again?  And how many months will it be after they allow indoor dining and bars to reopen?

All of these questions really lead to this one.  When will the movie business return to a 2019 environment? 

So yeah, I am fine with what WB is doing because I don't see the world moving back to 2019 and I think people are navie if they think there is not a massive change in the business environment that will destroy not just theaters but malls and strip malls and commercial real estate.   That companies need to make plans for the now not for this dream world where AMC is saved for "pennies on the dollar" and people go back to movies because theaters have almost died before and came back.  Or that everyone is secretly just waiting to run back to the theaters that they abandoned years ago.  I wanted theaters to be saved because going to the movies is one of my favorite things but reality is no one with the ability to save theaters cares.