Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

And Joker was much bigger than the first Wonder Woman in almost every international territory.

We’re talking about WW84. Not the first WW. So what’s your point? Nothing I’ve seen so far would lead me to believe that WW84 would not have done better internationally than the first one. The good will and the love people had for the first one would have carried over. Plus, the RT score shows that it is a good movie. There’s no reason to believe that it would not have done very well and possibly 1B. 

Some of you are so euphoric about the box office of a movie being released in the midst of a global pandemic. LOL. Had this not been an attempted money grab by AT&T to juice their HBO MAX subscriptions, this movie would have done great. You can doubt my reasoning and I can doubt yours. We will never know who’s right. The only objective truth is that releasing a blockbuster movie in theaters now was not a smart decision. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, jimisawesome said:

You have spent the last 5 months suggesting that going to the theater was Russian roulette but with 5 chambers loaded but now you are upset that Studios are going well people like dubalb will not be showing up to the theater any time soon maybe we need to come up with new plans going forward and your surprised?  While a few others and myself where screaming theaters need product to keep the doors open.  WB has been basically the only major studio giving theaters product.

So I have some questions for you.

What do the next 12 months look like?

When are you going back to the theater?

When do you expect the public as a whole to go back to theaters?

Who is paying to keep theaters afloat until that time? 

Who else besides WB is releasing A level product in that time?

When is capacity going to 100% in CA, IL and NY?

When will NY allow theaters to open up again?  And how many months will it be after they allow indoor dining and bars to reopen?

All of these questions really lead to this one.  When will the movie business return to a 2019 environment? 

So yeah, I am fine with what WB is doing because I don't see the world moving back to 2019 and I think people are navie if they think there is not a massive change in the business environment that will destroy not just theaters but malls and strip malls and commercial real estate.   That companies need to make plans for the now not for this dream world where AMC is saved for "pennies on the dollar" and people go back to movies because theaters have almost died before and came back.  Or that everyone is secretly just waiting to run back to the theaters that they abandoned years ago.  I wanted theaters to be saved because going to the movies is one of my favorite things but reality is no one with the ability to save theaters cares.

You are aware if you are right the age of big budget blockbuster is over, and almost everythign will be done on TV level budgets?

As for a lot of your questions, i am not a scientest so won't give any answers, but will point out late summer early fall seems to be the most likely date for a return to some kind of new normal.

And as for theaters dying out , you think restaurants will die out?

4 hours ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

We’re talking about WW84. Not the first WW. So what’s your point? Nothing I’ve seen so far would lead me to believe that WW84 would not have done better internationally than the first one. The good will and the love people had for the first one would have carried over. Plus, the RT score shows that it is a good movie. There’s no reason to believe that it would not have done very well and possibly 1B. 

Some of you are so euphoric about the box office of a movie being released in the midst of a global pandemic. LOL. Had this not been an attempted money grab by AT&T to juice their HBO MAX subscriptions, this movie would have done great. You can doubt my reasoning and I can doubt yours. We will never know who’s right. The only objective truth is that releasing a blockbuster movie in theaters now was not a smart decision. 

Amazing how many don't seem to get this.

Of course all this is a minor affair compared to at least three thousan a day dying from the virus in the US for the foreseeable future. ki don't know what it will take to get people out or their own little sheltered universe.

Stopping the death rate is the most important thing right now. Evnerything else is secondary.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

HBO Max put out a new trailer for what to expect through 2022 and there's no mention of any of the movies besides Wonder Woman. lol they're already starting to quietly walk back on this.

It's called hedging your bets.

Not sure why so many people seem to be against this decision?

When do you expect these movies to release? The kind of numbers that people expect won't return in 2021 for sure. 

So write off another year?

So the stars are pissed, OK, let's release the movies now then. What % of the backend will they get? If the movie loses money, do they get nothing?

So nobody sees it, they don't get any money and theatres are fucked either way. At least with HBO Max you're not taking a risk.

Also Disney already did this by sending at least 4 or 5 films this year to Disney+, yet no outrage? 

edit: and really, Americans have only themselves to blame for this shit lasting so long. You never even had a proper lockdown. You elected a clown for President in 2016 and your opposition-going-to-be-ruling party are stuffed with corporate hacks who can't even pass Medicare for All in a pandemic. In the eyes of the rest of the world, Trump or Biden, America is a failed democracy.

Imagine being against stimulus checks a year into a pandemic and when finally approved, the # is a joke that doesn't even equal a month in other developed countries. Yet so much hand-wringing, fighting and chicken littling, whilst at the same time freely handing $ to corporations and the military. What a shitshow. 

Edited by BK007
criticizing america lol
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

WW84 in normalcy could have done Billion dollar, more likely around $900mn I guess. 

USA would have been most likely be around Far From Home or lower. China would have done around $100mn only as WoM is said to be mixed, that could have been case in some other Asian markets but I can comment on that only after I watch it.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

WW84 in normalcy could have done Billion dollar, more likely around $900mn I guess. 

USA would have been most likely be around Far From Home or lower. China would have done around $100mn only as WoM is said to be mixed, that could have been case in some other Asian markets but I can comment on that only after I watch it.

Wait, WW1984 has a mixed reception?

As for Box Office numbers it's kinda sad to think we might never see the kind of huge numbers we had before, I admit I'm gonna miss this part...Let's hope some movies will manage to be huge n streaming and we get data from platform holders.

8 hours ago, dudalb said:

You are aware if you are right the age of big budget blockbuster is over, and almost everythign will be done on TV level budgets?

As for a lot of your questions, i am not a scientest so won't give any answers, but will point out late summer early fall seems to be the most likely date for a return to some kind of new normal.

And as for theaters dying out , you think restaurants will die out?

You are all over the place.  What does budget size have to do with anything being discussed?  Big Budget movies are the only movies people go to the theaters to see so if the big budget era is over that is another strike against theaters staying in business.  But, the reality is the big budget era is not over as of yet as there are Star Wars movies coming up, there is an Indiana Jones movie coming, Black Adam, The Batman, Aquaman 2, 2 MI movies, countless Marvel movies to name a few to say nothing of what is in the can.

Late Summer, Early fall ok how do theaters survive until then?  Oh they will survive because they will survive seems to be your answer.

1 in 6 Restaurants have already closed this year so yeah I expect an absolute bloodbath in the Restaurant industry.

4 hours ago, BK007 said:

Not sure why so many people seem to be against this decision?

When do you expect these movies to release? The kind of numbers that people expect won't return in 2021 for sure. 

So write off another year?

So the stars are pissed, OK, let's release the movies now then. What % of the backend will they get? If the movie loses money, do they get nothing?

So nobody sees it, they don't get any money and theatres are fucked either way. At least with HBO Max you're not taking a risk.

Also Disney already did this by sending at least 4 or 5 films this year to Disney+, yet no outrage? 

edit: and really, Americans have only themselves to blame for this shit lasting so long. You never even had a proper lockdown. You elected a clown for President in 2016 and your opposition-going-to-be-ruling party are stuffed with corporate hacks who can't even pass Medicare for All in a pandemic. In the eyes of the rest of the world, Trump or Biden, America is a failed democracy.

Imagine being against stimulus checks a year into a pandemic and when finally approved, the # is a joke that doesn't even equal a month in other developed countries. Yet so much hand-wringing, fighting and chicken littling, whilst at the same time freely handing $ to corporations and the military. What a shitshow. 

Thank you.  I have asked these questions and every time its just hand waived away. 

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Not a very good comparison. Four or five movies is not the same as over a dozen movies. 

Those 4 or 5 movies never where shown in theaters while WB is giving the option to see them in theaters.  And it was not like they where random 4 or 5 movies it was their biggest animated movie of the year, a movie that plenty of people here thought would hit a billion and the biggest musical of all time.  The list of movies Disney is placing straight to D+ include plenty of movies that would be big hits if released in theaters such as Enchanted 2. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jimisawesome said:

Those 4 or 5 movies never where shown in theaters while WB is giving the option to see them in theaters.  And it was not like they where random 4 or 5 movies it was their biggest animated movie of the year, a movie that plenty of people here thought would hit a billion and the biggest musical of all time.  The list of movies Disney is placing straight to D+ include plenty of movies that would be big hits if released in theaters such as Enchanted 2. 

Giving people the option to see something in theaters doesn’t mean much when those movies are being streamed at the same time. Unless Disney decides to move their entire 2021 slate to Disney+, there’s not much of a comparison. 

Also, it feels really gross that I’m being forced to defend something related to Disney.

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Haha 1

It's Universal but here are more details on their plan:

In the case of Universal, in November Cinemark announced that they have struck a deal with the studio under which Universal and Focus Features titles are able to screen at Cinemark under a shortened theatrical exclusivity window. Specifically, under Cinemark’s “Dynamic Window” plan, Universal and Focus films that open to more than $50M at the domestic box office will have 31 days, or five weekends, of exclusivity. Films that open under that mark will be granted theatrical exclusivity of 17 days, or three weekends.

Speaking in a virtual conference call with industry group Women in Exhibition, Cinemark CEO Mark Zoradi clarified that the $50M hurdle is not set in stone. Certain movies, he noted, will be “pre-designated” to receive a five-weekend window, regardless of their opening weekend gross. Details of any specific upcoming movies that have been “pre-designated” for a 31-day theatrical window were not discussed, though on a December 16 MKM Virtual Investor Conference call Zoradi noted that the window for Universal’s “big pictures” will be 31 days at a minimum.

“I think that Universal, on their big movies, will actually play a lot longer than 31 days,” continued Zoradi at the WIE event. “So the concept that we’re talking to all the studios about is: one size window doesn’t fit every particular movie. So on the smaller movies, we can agree to those windows being shorter. On the big blockbuster, tentpole movies, we’re looking for a longer, extended window in kind of a dynamic range.”

Cinemark Provides More Detail On Their "Dynamic Theatrical Window" Deal with Universal, Responds to M&A Rumors - Boxoffice (boxofficepro.com)

So really that deal is on a movie-to-movie basis and is unlikely to apply to their big guns (Fast 9, Minions, Jurassic World, etc.) or for any movie that they expect will make waves (like the new M. Night movie coming out next year). Certainly sounds better than this "simultaneous release for 30 days, theaters only after that" deal for the HBO Max thing (which makes it even more obvious that this was all just to boost a struggling streaming service and not to be a martyr or something for movie theaters).

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Not a very good comparison. Four or five movies is not the same as over a dozen movies. 

Actually sending Mulan, Hamilton, and soul to Disney+ is a pretty big deal and hurts theatres a lot that are already struggling. It’s obviously not as bad as what WB has planned but it’s still bad and should be called out. 

As I’ve said before, all these companies will do what they think is best for themselves. 

Edited by cax16

3 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Actually sending Mulan, Hamilton, and soul to Disney+ is a pretty big deal and hurts theatres a lot that are already struggling. It’s obviously not as bad as what WB has planned but it’s still bad and should be called out. 

As I’ve said before, all these companies will do what they think is best for themselves. 

No one said they don’t do what they think is best for themselves. That’s always the purpose of these corporations. There’s still not much of a comparison in this case, because they’re not dumping an entire year’s slate onto Disney+ (for now). To put things into perspective, most people weren’t mad when it was announced that WW84 would be going straight to HBO Max.

There are a lot of things to be mad at Disney for, but when it comes to this particular comparison, it’s not hard to see why people are more outraged at WB. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

No one said they don’t do what they think is best for themselves. That’s always the purpose of these corporations. There’s still not much of a comparison in this case, because they’re not dumping an entire year’s slate onto Disney+ (for now). To put things into perspective, most people weren’t mad when it was announced that WW84 would be going straight to HBO Max.

There are a lot of things to be mad at Disney for, but when it comes to this particular comparison, it’s not hard to see why people are more outraged at WB. 

That’s not my point and we don’t even know that WB will go through with this.

As it stands now WB is the only studio to release big blockbuster movies this year in tenet and ww84. Disney put all their movies on Disney+. So, Disney has hurt theatres more at this time then WB.  

I assume that’s part of what @jimisawesomepoint is and he’s saying that Disney should be called out as well.

We can discuss hypotheticals about next year all we want but as it stands now WB has done more for theatres this year then any other studio. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cax16 said:

That’s not my point and we don’t even know that WB will go through with this.

As it stands now WB is the only studio to release big blockbuster movies this year in tenet and ww84. Disney put all their movies on Disney+. So, Disney has hurt theatres more at this time then WB.  

I assume that’s part of what @jimisawesomepoint is and he’s saying that Disney should be called out as well.

We can discuss hypotheticals about next year all we want but as it stands now WB has done more for theatres this year then any other studio. 

Universal has been supplying theaters with plenty of content, including The Croods 2 (a movie that hypothetically would've been an easy $100M+ title in normal times). News of the World also would've done well in a regular situation too but is coming out now mainly to compete for whatever this awards season will look like (same with Promising Young Woman although that was originally supposed to come out in April and likely has limited box office potential to begin with). Movies like Let Him Go and Freaky would've made around $40-50M in alternate universe as well.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Universal has been supplying theaters with plenty of content, including The Croods 2 (a movie that hypothetically would've been an easy $100M+ title in normal times). News of the World also would've done well in a regular situation too but is coming out now mainly to compete for whatever this awards season will look like (same with Promising Young Woman although that was originally supposed to come out in April and likely has limited box office potential to begin with). Movies like Let Him Go and Freaky would've made around $40-50M in alternate universe as well.

You’re right, universal has as well. 

• Like 1