Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

4 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

What consequences could they possibly face by angering creatives? 99% of them are replaceable. If they left they'd longer have to pay actors 10m+ to star in flops. I'd consider that a win

It's a race to the bottom, the only people likely to be happy working for WB going forward are those who are desperate

1 minute ago, DlAMONDZ said:

What consequences could they possibly face by angering creatives? 99% of them are replaceable. If they left they'd longer have to pay actors 10m+ to star in flops. I'd consider that a win

You underestimate how much this industry thrives just as much on reputation as it does on money. Many of these people aren't exactly "replaceable" when a lot of them are in high positions of power and can easily tell their friends and other people on the rise "don't work there." This applies to the entire showbiz industry, not just any one studio.

24 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

And this was foreseeable. Anyone with a brain could see that the release of this movie to theaters wouldn’t bear much fruit. 

With about 2,750 dying a day and many people without food, movie going is not a priority at the moment. I am excited to see it and I think some are too, but not at the level it would have been otherwise. 

They know. They're just playing stupid. Watch them try to extrapolate the current non existent domestic market to say that WW84 was never gonna make 200m in a non corona world

21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

You underestimate how much this industry thrives just as much on reputation as it does on money. Many of these people aren't exactly "replaceable" when a lot of them are in high positions of power and can easily tell their friends and other people on the rise "don't work there." This applies to the entire showbiz industry, not just any one studio.

Nobody's gonna say no to a job. Especially when tens of millions and counting have lost theirs

Edited by DlAMONDZ
  • Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

19 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

They know. They're just playing stupid. Watch them try to extrapolate the current non existent domestic market to say that WW84 was never gonna make 200m in a non corona world

I’m afraid you are the one playing stupid here. Nobody is going to extrapolate silly conclusions from markets that are hugely covid impacted. Enjoy your straw man though.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

Lol sure, sold greyhound, moved every other movie to next year, so no help to theatres at all this year but theatrical is really important to us hahaha 

All of these studios are laughable, and WB is the biggest joke of them all cause they went first. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Lol sure, sold greyhound, moved every other movie to next year, so no help to theatres at all this year but theatrical is really important to us hahaha 

The sold greyhound thing definitely makes the “committee to theatrical exclusivity” thing look funny, but I just don’t get the complaint about moving the other movies to next year. That’s literally better for theaters than releasing them this year.     

Releasing Venom 2 in October or something wouldn’t have helped theaters all that much. Because of the active pandemic in Oct. But releasing it in June 2021 helps bring customers back to theaters and bolsters their recovery. Likewise, WW84 would have been more help to theaters if they had pushed it to this summer vs the current plan.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

15 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

The sold greyhound thing definitely makes the “committee to theatrical exclusivity” thing look funny, but I just son’s get the complaint about moving the other movies to next year. That’s literally better for theaters than releasing them this year.     

Releasing Venom 2 in October or something wouldn’t have helped theaters all that much. Because of the active pandemic in Oct. But releasing it in June 2021 helps bring customers back to theaters and bolsters their recovery. Likewise, WW84 would have been more help to theaters if they had pushed it to this summer vs the current plan.

What happens if the vaccine roll out plan doesn’t go as smooth as we all hope? Then what happens to theatres? You can’t just keep delaying everything next year as well. Maybe Disney can but can Sony really afford that? 

All studios could of done exactly what universal (croods)or what WB is doing with ww84 but they chose not to, and that’s fine but I find all these comments hypocritical.

Also, I Just wanna add, I respect yours and everyone else’s opinions on this stuff, I just don’t think we’ll agree on this topic cause we’ve discussed it a bit before. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Sony has a streamer in India. They do have foreign shows, so where are those shows releasing in USA.

Don’t know which shows you are talking about specifically but they have a very good and profitable TV division that makes shows for third parties for instance the make The Boys for Amazon Prime Video, The Crown for Netflix, For All Mankind for Apple TV+, Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul for AMC and co-produce The Good Doctor with ABC for ABC.

Much like their film division they deal their legacy TV shows to third parties be it Netflix, Hulu, Amazon etc. Seinfeld is the most notable example (although I think they only have distribution rights on that one kinda like Paramount with the old Indiana Jones movies)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cax16 said:

All of these studios are laughable, and WB is the biggest joke of them all cause they went first. 

Sony is one of the only studios to consistently release films in theaters during the pandemic.  They released The Broken Hearts Gallery, The Last Shift, Yellow Rose, The Kid Detective, The Last Vermeer, and Monster Hunter. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Sony is one of the only studios to consistently release films in theaters during the pandemic.  They released The Broken Hearts Gallery, The Last Shift, Yellow Rose, The Kid Detective, The Last Vermeer, and Monster Hunter. 

Thanks for correcting me. 

Edited by cax16

19 minutes ago, cax16 said:

What happens if the vaccine roll out plan doesn’t go as smooth as we all hope?

Then studios would have to reassess, and I expect more would turn to hybrid releases of some form. That would be bad for theaters, but their fate is being determined by those covid factors much more than studio behavior. 20 Tenets and WW84s releasing this year wouldn’t have saved theatrical.

22 minutes ago, cax16 said:

You can’t just keep delaying everything next year as well. Maybe Disney can but can Sony really afford that? 

Agreed, pushing the current 2021 schedule out another year would be totally infeasible for both theaters and studios.

22 minutes ago, cax16 said:

All studios could of done exactly what universal (croods)or what WB is doing with ww84 but they chose not to, and that’s fine but I find all these comments hypocritical.

I mean, sure, they could have — but it’s far from obvious that it would benefit theaters vs moving to 2021 like Dis and Sony.

24 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I just don’t think we’ll agree on this topic cause we’ve discussed it a bit before. 

Haha, it’s true. I was already feeling a bit of deja vu with my first response.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Theaters don’t care about the number of movies though, they care about the about of $$ they get from customers enticed to return. BW’s OD will be more help to theaters than these 6 movies combined. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Then studios would have to reassess, and I expect more would turn to hybrid releases of some form. That would be bad for theaters, but their fate is being determined by those covid factors much more than studio behavior. 20 Tenets and WW84s releasing this year wouldn’t have saved theatrical.

Agreed, pushing the current 2021 schedule out another year would be totally infeasible for both theaters and studios.

I mean, sure, they could have — but it’s far from obvious that it would benefit theaters vs moving to 2021 like Dis and Sony.

Haha, it’s true. I was already feeling a bit of deja vu with my first response.

Lol

Also, I was wrong about Sony as I’ve been corrected above, even though they’re all smaller movies it’s was at least something. Even though I don’t agree with the sale of Greyhound it’s obvious at this point everyone is gonna do what’s best for themselves.

But ya, in the end whatever’s gonna happen is gonna happen. At this point I just wanna see new movies and shows. I have no money invested in any of this stuff so it is what it is.

I think my post sounded more hostile then I wanted it to also lol. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 1

At WB, consultant/former Universal marketing exec Josh Goldstine is now spearheading campaigns for the 2021 hybrid release slate — the WB marketing president post seems his job to lose, but Warner Bros won’t name a successor to Blair Rich until her year-end exit — even as reps of talent hold back the possibility their stars won’t promote these films, unless the back end deals fall closer to Wonder Woman 1984 than the one-size-fits-all formula WB proffered. Battles big and small are being fought on numerous films: Legendary is in a big fight that might result in lawsuits after it financed 75% of tent poles Dune and Godzilla vs. Kong and was completely blindsided. Rumors have the solution to that breach being to preserve Dune as a traditional theatrical to preserve its franchise potential and since its October 1 release date falls well after the estimated late spring date when Covid vaccines should achieve herd immunity. Godzilla vs. Kong might stay an HBO Max hybrid in its May 21 slot, but only if Warner Bros makes a deal with Legendary that uses as a base the $250 million value established when the film was shopped earlier to Netflix. There is also King Richard, the Will Smith-starrer that nearly went to Netflix and Barack and Michelle Obama’s Higher Ground. Smith’s deal expressly calls for a theatrical only release, sources say, and while he became the first big star to sign one of those $30 million Netflix salary + pre-negotiated back end deals several years ago on Bright, Warner Bros only won the vigorous King Richard auction because its makers and the family of Venus and Serena Williams wanted to see the underdog story of their father Richard play on the big screen.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

As much as I have come to accept that movie theaters probably have no future, I’m at least glad that Sony is the one studio that isn’t trying to compete with Netflix. We have way too many streaming services as is. I just hope Apple doesn’t buy them out. 

Sony has the streaming anime market cornered with Crunchyroll and Funimation