Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

4 hours ago, BeastByTheBay said:

Sony has the streaming anime market cornered with Crunchyroll and Funimation

Really surprised AT&T let Crunchyroll go as anime continues to grow in popularity every single year, would have made a good addition to HBO Max.

Now Sony hold a near monopoly on that industry in western markets.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wormow said:

Really surprised AT&T let Crunchyroll go as anime continues to grow in popularity every single year, would have made a good addition to HBO Max.

Now Sony hold a near monopoly on that industry in western markets.

Yeah this is one thing if you're a Paramount or Sony or whoever that can't afford potential big $ losers, but I find foolish when these giants sell off assets that potentially could help boost their streaming libraries. It's like Disney sold off those Fear Street movies (a trilogy!) that were made under Fox. They may or may not have set the world on fire theatrically (and that's before the pandemic) but even if they didn't, they might potentially find a second life (or first life?) on streaming. How many times did bombs become cult films on video that became dependable evergreen titles? Look up articles about random movies that found popularity during the pandemic. Those FS flicks are the sort of teen films that could've helped on Hulu (or D+, depending on rating.)

This is just short term thinking overriding long term considerations. Unfortunately that seems to define AT&T lately. 

5 hours ago, excel1 said:

Nobody cares about Furiosa, sorry. Bomb without question. 

Studio is beyond incompetent atm.

Mad Max: Fury Road didn't even do that amazing to warrant a prequel, let alone one that sounds kind of boring. 

Furiosa is likely gonna be to Fury Road what that movie was to the Gibson Mad Max movies in that it'll be sold as its own thing for the most part (and will live or die based on its own merits). It's off to a good start in terms of casting at least, with Taylor-Joy having one of the best/most exciting runs of anyone right now.

I was watching Wonder Woman 1984 today with my dad at his house earlier. Since Covid sort of threw a wrench in my plans this year, I've had to move back with my parents in an extremely rural part of the state - in the country, no less. My dad has about the best internet he can find (I think he's using some 4G hotspot thing), but it is a far cry from cable/fiber, and even DSL. The only other option is satellite, which is even SLOWER and pricey on top of that. What I'm saying is, there aren't really any good choices for internet out here, and it is virtually impossible for major downloads or online gaming. 

We watched the movie and probably had to stop for buffer upwards of 20 times. We didn't stream it at 4K, either. Sometimes there were stretches of up to 5 minutes of buffering, and other times it would be 30 seconds to a minute. We started the 2.5 hour movie at just a little after 8pm, and it didn't finish until after 11. While this isn't at fault of Warner/AT&T, I do think it is worth mentioning. They may not be a majority now, but there are decent amounts of people with a less-than-desirable internet service for which these things just kind of ruin the entire experience. If they're really dead set on this sort of "changing of the landscape" thing (AT&T being an internet provider themselves), I feel like it is at least something they should acknowledge.

And yeah, I'm sure there's always the "lower the video quality settings" but, honestly, absolutely not. Who wants to watch the brand new blockbuster premiere in DVD quality? Nobody. If I were to live around here and have to deal with this stuff the rest of my life, I'd definitely rather just go to a theater. Where I pay to watch the film and it play in a set quality with the stability of something as fragile as my internet connection will hamper the experience. 

EDIT: The most ironic part about this, is the only phone/landline providers around here are AT&T, who have opted on not providing faster internet to this area. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like 8

9 hours ago, Mango said:

I was watching Wonder Woman 1984 today with my dad at his house earlier. Since Covid sort of threw a wrench in my plans this year, I've had to move back with my parents in an extremely rural part of the state - in the country, no less. My dad has about the best internet he can find (I think he's using some 4G hotspot thing), but it is a far cry from cable/fiber, and even DSL. The only other option is satellite, which is even SLOWER and pricey on top of that. What I'm saying is, there aren't really any good choices for internet out here, and it is virtually impossible for major downloads or online gaming. 

We watched the movie and probably had to stop for buffer upwards of 20 times. We didn't stream it at 4K, either. Sometimes there were stretches of up to 5 minutes of buffering, and other times it would be 30 seconds to a minute. We started the 2.5 hour movie at just a little after 8pm, and it didn't finish until after 11. While this isn't at fault of Warner/AT&T, I do think it is worth mentioning. They may not be a majority now, but there are decent amounts of people with a less-than-desirable internet service for which these things just kind of ruin the entire experience. If they're really dead set on this sort of "changing of the landscape" thing (AT&T being an internet provider themselves), I feel like it is at least something they should acknowledge.

And yeah, I'm sure there's always the "lower the video quality settings" but, honestly, absolutely not. Who wants to watch the brand new blockbuster premiere in DVD quality? Nobody. If I were to live around here and have to deal with this stuff the rest of my life, I'd definitely rather just go to a theater. Where I pay to watch the film and it play in a set quality with the stability of something as fragile as my internet connection will hamper the experience. 

EDIT: The most ironic part about this, is the only phone/landline providers around here are AT&T, who have opted on not providing faster internet to this area. 

How far is the closest movie theater from your dad’s house?

In terms of rural Internet, there is hope for the future.  Both satellite Internet (Amazon/Tesla) and fixed wireless 5G should provide a pretty huge upgrade for rural folks in the next 5 years. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mango said:

Max's quality is based on your internet speed, TV and audio settings. It's not like Netflix where you can choose the quality based off the tier you pay for.

2 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

How far is the closest movie theater from your dad’s house?

In terms of rural Internet, there is hope for the future.  Both satellite Internet (Amazon/Tesla) and fixed wireless 5G should provide a pretty huge upgrade for rural folks in the next 5 years. 

It's roughly 30 minutes to the nearest theater, and about 35-40 minutes in the opposite direction to the second nearest. And we've heard about Starlink from Space-X, and it is sounding pretty great. It's just a matter of being widely available. My dad and grandparents are both signed up for the Beta waiting list.

2 hours ago, BeastByTheBay said:

Max's quality is based on your internet speed, TV and audio settings. It's not like Netflix where you can choose the quality based off the tier you pay for.

I'm not sure what quality it was in, it looked HD, but definitely not 4K, my dad has a 4K TV and you can 100% tell when something is using it to the fullest. I'm guessing it was streaming at around 720p but I'm not entirely sure. It might have dipped a bit here and there, not really sure. Either way, a little disappointing.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mango said:

It's roughly 30 minutes to the nearest theater, and about 35-40 minutes in the opposite direction to the second nearest. And we've heard about Starlink from Space-X, and it is sounding pretty great. It's just a matter of being widely available. My dad and grandparents are both signed up for the Beta waiting list.

I'm not sure what quality it was in, it looked HD, but definitely not 4K, my dad has a 4K TV and you can 100% tell when something is using it to the fullest. I'm guessing it was streaming at around 720p but I'm not entirely sure. It might have dipped a bit here and there, not really sure. Either way, a little disappointing.  

30-40 minutes is not bad for movie theater. I am curious to see what happens to them as a result of the pandemic and the studios putting more & more emphasis on streaming. 

1 hour ago, jimisawesome said:

I hope WB execs offered to sell Legendary WB cut and wish them well finding another distributor.  I see everyone out there is still out of their mind about the state of the world and theaters going forward.

Yeah, that would be a better move on WB's part at the price Legendary wants...heck WB should price it back to them at the same rate...

• Like 1

That's not the only movie Legendary is making for WB so they also have leverage. Legendary's concerns are valid. If Netflix or another streamer is willing to pay $250 million then that's the market price. Why should they settle for less from HBO max ? WB benefits from any gains in HBO Max subscriptions not legendary and they shouldn't settle for any less.

Edited by TLK
  • Like 3