Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

I've said it before but it continues to bear repeating:

This mess is what happens when a reality TV mogul in charge of a studio that makes scripted entertainment and animation. Warner Bros Discovery is essentially a bakery currently being run by a butcher.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JWR said:

I've said it before but it continues to bear repeating:

This mess is what happens when a reality TV mogul in charge of a studio that makes scripted entertainment and animation. Warner Bros Discovery is essentially a bakery currently being run by a butcher.

WBD isn't Warner Bros itself. Why do people keep thinking it is. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

WBD isn't Warner Bros itself. Why do people keep thinking it is. 

Fair enough. But my other points still stand. I acknowledge that the company is in serious debt and that unpopular decisions have to be made. Though it's hard to imagine that the solutions Zaslav is offering will be worth it in the long term.

• Like 1

So I'm curious about "The Day The Earth Blew Up: The Looney Tunes Movie". On the one hand, it seems to be in a more secure position than ''Coyote V Acme'' was. GFM Animation has been confirmed to be distributing it outside the United States, whereas with ''Coyote V Acme'' they didn't even bother to find an alternate distributor. They just dumped it, no questions asked. 

Here it is on GFM's own website. GFM's last animated movie was ''Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank'', which came out in July 2022 and had its first trailer released in April of that year. So we may still see some promotion for this movie yet. 

The real question, I suppose, is its budget. There haven't really been all that many all-2D animated movies in the past decade to compare it to, but the ones that we have seem not to have been very expensive by animated movie standards. ''Teen Titans Go! To The Movies'' cost $10 million, ''My Little Pony: The Movie'' cost $6 million, and ''The Bob's Burgers Movie'' cost $38 million (which I find a bit hard to believe considering it seems to have had the lowest production values of the three). We know ''Coyote V Acme'' supposedly had a $70 million budget, but it was a live-action/CGI hybrid. As an all-2D film, I can't picture "The Day The Earth Blew Up" costing much more than $25 million. 

Edited by El Squibbonator
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 6:56 PM, Ken said:

Here is WB's slate next year, as it currently stands:

House Party

Magic Mike

Mummies

Shazam

Evil Dead

The Flash

Barbie

The Meg

Blue Beetle

The Nun

Dune

Wonka

The Color Purple

Aquaman

It's definitely more stacked than the last couple of years, with all but one from a recognizable IP: no almost-straight-to-Max Those Who Wish Me Deads nor risky Don't Worry Darlings here. If they all stick to their planned dates, does anyone think WB can climb out of the gutter? Or will these films end up being too unappealing to the masses? Should any of them be delayed?

Looking back a year later: so many bombs/flops, and only ONE title that didn't make it this year. Three more to go, and then:

Dune

Mickey 17

Godzilla x Kong

Furiosa

The Watchers

Horizon 1&2

Trap 

Beetlejuice

Joker

Alto Knights

The Lord of the Rings anime

50 minutes ago, Ken said:

Looking back a year later: so many bombs/flops, and only ONE title that didn't make it this year. Three more to go, and then:

Dune

Mickey 17

Godzilla x Kong

Furiosa

The Watchers

Horizon 1&2

Trap 

Beetlejuice

Joker

Alto Knights

The Lord of the Rings anime

I'll watch maybe two of those. 🙃

1 minute ago, JWR said:

If I were James Gunn, I'd start planning contingencies. 

Gunn is already set for life after directing and writing a successful blockbuster trilogy. Also the comeback after being canceled by MeToo culture.

Zack Snyder wishes he was as successful as Gunn.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Mojoguy said:

Gunn is already set for life after directing and writing a successful blockbuster trilogy. Also the comeback after being canceled by MeToo culture.

Zack Snyder wishes he was as successful as Gunn.

I still hope the DCU thing works out, I'm just saying that he has options and doesn't have to go down with a sinking ship. 

7 minutes ago, JWR said:

I still hope the DCU thing works out, I'm just saying that he has options and doesn't have to go down with a sinking ship. 

I don't think WB is expecting that much from Superman Legacy. Anything over $500m WW should be considered a win, DCEU hasn't had a single movie over 400m since Aquaman, DC is in rebuilding mode right now. They desperately need Superman to be good though.

• Like 1

I do think people are being stupid, people aren't going to stop working for Warner Bros ever again in the same way they won't stop working for Disney. WBD and WB are not the same and TBH once the dust has settled, people will be pitching their ideas at WB,