Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I do think people are being stupid, people aren't going to stop working for Warner Bros ever again in the same way they won't stop working for Disney. WBD and WB are not the same and TBH once the dust has settled, people will be pitching their ideas at WB,

Stop working with WB altogether? Nope. But at the very least, I expect some of them to at least think twice before pitching an idea or story if this keeps up.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Ooh Zaslov is on the find out phase I see of fucking with filmmakers.

You know Nolan is happy as hell he left WB when he did. He gets to be smug these days especially with the Oppy win.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, JWR said:

Stop working with WB altogether? Nope. But at the very least, I expect some of them to at least think twice before pitching an idea or story if this keeps up.

This is Hollywood, there are very few people who can afford to be picky. 

Interesting that the movies that have been shelved were all IP based. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Getting flashbacks to Chapeks decisions to have a public feud with Scarlett Johansson for no reason as to no benefit

Both scenarios in which the guys at top thought they could treat their talent like disposable dish rags.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

Gunn is already set for life after directing and writing a successful blockbuster trilogy. Also the comeback after being canceled by MeToo culture.

Zack Snyder wishes he was as successful as Gunn.

Batman v Superman made more at the box office than any Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Probably neither. Unless you're Nolan or Spielberg, cancelling because of CvA is a very silly reason.

It's not because it was Looney Tunes. It's that WB had made a habit of normalizing shelving movies for taxes. And the fact that Coyote V Acme was written/produced by someone in a top position at WB.

If that's the mentality Zaslav has towards a $70M movie, why would his mentality be different with DC projects? If a James Gunn project can get scrapped, why would any creative or filmmaker (whether a big name or a newcomer) trust WB? 

1 minute ago, JWR said:

It's not because it was Looney Tunes. It's that WB had made a habit of normalizing shelving movies for taxes. And the fact that Coyote V Acme was written/produced by someone in a top position at WB.

If that's the mentality Zaslav has towards a $70M movie, why would his mentality be different with DC projects? If a James Gunn project can get scrapped, why would any creative or filmmaker (whether a big name or a newcomer) trust WB? 

People are really blowing the whole film makers are cancelling meetings out of proposition. Are people seriously suggesting people will avoid WB while Zaslav in charge and there will be no WB films or TV shows at all? 

Just now, Jonwo said:

People are really blowing the whole film makers are cancelling meetings out of proposition. Are people seriously suggesting people will avoid WB while Zaslav in charge and there will be no WB films or TV shows at all? 

No. But the fact that they're not sticking to their original decision of shelving it suggests that someone either told them or that they realized that this was not a good luck to people in the industry. 

On 11/11/2023 at 7:43 AM, JWR said:

Fair enough. But my other points still stand. I acknowledge that the company is in serious debt and that unpopular decisions have to be made. Though it's hard to imagine that the solutions Zaslav is offering will be worth it in the long term.

This. I gave Zaslev the benefit of the doubt at first because  he had a bad debt situation to deal with, and the only way to deal with that is stop the flow of red ink, and cutting spending is the only fast way to do  that.m and that is NEVER popular. And many of the fanboys here had no idea how dangerous a debt crisis can be.

But he has made too many bizarre and stupid decisions.  He will leave bigger mess for some poor bastard to try to clean up.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, JWR said:

No. But the fact that they're not sticking to their original decision of shelving it suggests that someone either told them or that they realized that this was not a good luck to people in the industry. 

Assuming there is good reason not to risk  a theatricla release, I don'tget why they did not make it a major Streaming Event. It isn ot like Batgirl, where the film was not completed when it was shelved; Coyote was ready to go.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dudalb said:

This. I gave Zaslev the benefit of the doubt at first because  he had a bad debt situation to deal with, and the only way to deal with that is stop the flow of red ink, and cutting spending is the only fast way to do  that.m and that is NEVER popular. And many of the fanboys here had no idea how dangerous a debt crisis can be.

But he has made too many bizarre and stupid decisions.  He will leave bigger mess for some poor bastard to try to clean up.

This. All of this. 

2 hours ago, JWR said:

Oh, definitely not now. Things aren't nearly that catastrophic. 

Gunn also has contractual obligations. You just can't walk out on those without huge legal problems..something people here who talk blithly about somebody walking away from a contract don't get.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

It still sold more tickets than any movie James Gunn ever directed, which makes Snyder a more successful filmmaker.

God, the NOlan will never admit that the Snuderverse version of the DCU was a fail.

Edited by dudalb