CJohn

The Peanuts Movie | November 6, 2015

I see this doing less than Rio 2.

$475m WW

$175m DOM

$300m OS.

Snoopy and Peanuts don't really pop OS.

That could be accurate...but it looks like you are saying OS is the bigger audience from your numbers.

Also I couldn't help thinking of this blurb at Forbes:

Schulz's most famous creation, The Peanuts, is getting a makeover with a 3-D movie hitting theaters next November. The gang already has a huge following overseas.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mfl45elikj/charles-schulz-6/

That could be accurate...but it looks like you are saying OS is the bigger audience from your numbers.

Also I couldn't help thinking of this blurb at Forbes:

Schulz's most famous creation, The Peanuts, is getting a makeover with a 3-D movie hitting theaters next November. The gang already has a huge following overseas.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mfl45elikj/charles-schulz-6/

Peanuts isn't a huge franchise in Asia, at least in the Indian subcontinent. Europe may be a bigger market for it. This may be a reverse Tintin, where the Domestic take may be equal to the OS take.

I'm sure Snoopy and Charlie Brown is known OS especially in Europe but probably not to the extent as America. I think it'll do well OS but it won't be as big as Tintin or the Smurfs. Oz had a similar issue in that The Wizard of Oz is a cultural icon in America but less so in other countries.

I'd probably if they ever did Calvin and Hobbes as a film, it would struggle OS but do well in America.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 2

I'm sure Snoopy and Charlie Brown is known OS especially in Europe but probably not to the extent as America. I think it'll do well OS but it won't be as big as Tintin or the Smurfs. Oz had a similar issue in that The Wizard of Oz is a cultural icon in America but less so in other countries.

I'd probably if they ever did Calvin and Hobbes as a film, it would struggle OS but do well in America.

I doubt most people under the age of 20 know these characters in Europe.

Peanuts never got the constant repeats and remakes many 60s era cartoons received in a lot of Europe. In the UK, Peanuts have been pretty much absent except for references in American shows and movies. The last time I remember the characters doing something was for some McDonalds toys over a decade ago.

A good measure of popularity would also be merchandise. Toys R Us USA have 71 Snoopy toys, Toys R Us UK have 0.

In a statement about the new Peanuts show (being produced in France), a spokesperson for Peanuts even said "Peanuts is well-known in France to a slightly older age group".

• Like 2

But it will 200m+

Maybe. It definitely has the brand awareness to do it. However, The Good Dinosaur could cut its legs off completely. It might need to have a big OW to get there. But, it has massive brand awareness, so that's possible. I just don't think it's a guarantee either way.

It should pass $100M easily though.

Maybe. It definitely has the brand awareness to do it. However, The Good Dinosaur could cut its legs off completely. It might need to have a big OW to get there. But, it has massive brand awareness, so that's possible. I just don't think it's a guarantee either way.

It should pass $100M easily though.

Or it could hurt the Good Dinosaur. If this movie is a Christmas movie I expect great legs from it. 

that trailer made me all warm and fuzzy inside.  :D I think this will connect well with audiences, I don't think $200m is out of the question for this. and right in time for my birthday!

Edited by KaloVisor

I haven't heard of Peanuts but I will take the word of the people in this that it's well known in America.

However, what worked with previous generations of kids is not by default going to connect to the current generation, which will be the primary audience for this. An animated film can't rely solely on old fans. And with the dull CGI style, the lack of action, and a generally younger feel, its chances of connecting to kids today are not amazingly high.

Gonna be gargantuan, 250m+ stateside, 750m WW

Lol!

I see this doing less than Rio 2.

$475m WW

$175m DOM
$300m OS.

Snoopy and Peanuts don't really pop OS.

I agree, worldwide it will be below Rio 2. I'm not sure it will do $300m overseas though.

• Like 2