CJohn

The Peanuts Movie | November 6, 2015

Unless this is rated G, I won't bother. When Charlie Brown requires parental guidance, there's something wrong. Plus, if Rio 1 & 2 got a G, and the film is as easy-going as the trailer, I don't see how this gets a PG.

Hope Good Dinosaur and Inside Out get Gs as well, but one of those is probably getting a PG. 

I haven't heard of Peanuts but I will take the word of the people in this that it's well known in America.

However, what worked with previous generations of kids is not by default going to connect to the current generation, which will be the primary audience for this. An animated film can't rely solely on old fans. And with the dull CGI style, the lack of action, and a generally younger feel, its chances of connecting to kids today are not amazingly high.

Lol!

I agree, worldwide it will be below Rio 2. I'm not sure it will do $300m overseas though.

That you have never heard of Peanuts ,charecters with worldwide popularity, sort of makes everything else you say lacking in creditbility.

• Like 1

Unless this is rated G, I won't bother. When Charlie Brown requires parental guidance, there's something wrong. Plus, if Rio 1 & 2 got a G, and the film is as easy-going as the trailer, I don't see how this gets a PG.

Hope Good Dinosaur and Inside Out get Gs as well, but one of those is probably getting a PG. 

I can't see a reason why Good Dinosaur is PG, unless there are some rather intense action sequences

• Like 1

That you have never heard of Peanuts ,charecters with worldwide popularity, sort of makes everything else you say lacking in creditbility.

No. Scooby Doo, Flintstones, Batman, these have worldwide popularity. Peanuts just isn't on that level.

I haven't heard of Peanuts but I will take the word of the people in this that it's well known in America.

However, what worked with previous generations of kids is not by default going to connect to the current generation, which will be the primary audience for this. An animated film can't rely solely on old fans. And with the dull CGI style, the lack of action, and a generally younger feel, its chances of connecting to kids today are not amazingly high.

Lol!

I agree, worldwide it will be below Rio 2. I'm not sure it will do $300m overseas though.

You've never heard of Charlie Brown? Snoopy? 

The tv specials?  A Charlie Brown Christmas and It's the Great Pumpkin are essentials.

• Like 1

The tv specials?  A Charlie Brown Christmas and It's the Great Pumpkin are essentials.

Is the Great Pumpkin that thing an old Simpsons Halloween special, was based on? If so I can safely say more people have seen that episode of The Simpsons in the UK, than have seen The Great Pumpkin.

The "creditbility" of my points - that the movie needs to connect with kids of today and it may not achieve that - is not affected by my knowledge of this IP.

Also I am really not convinced that these "charecters" are popular worldwide.

I have heard of Charlie Brown and Snoopy, I can even identify Snoopy - but didn't know where they were from, whether it was a TV show or whatever. I didn't know what "Peanuts" was.

The "creditbility" of my points - that the movie needs to connect with kids of today and it may not achieve that - is not affected by my knowledge of this IP.

I have heard of Charlie Brown and Snoopy, I can even identify Snoopy - but didn't know where they were from, whether it was a TV show or whatever. I didn't know what "Peanuts" was.

You do know it then. You just know it by its colloquial name. When I was a kid, I just referred to it as Snoopy or Charlie Brown. Peanuts is the official name for Snoopy, Charlie Brown, and the rest of the gang (Lucy, Linus, Peppermint Patty, Marcy, Woodchuck, etc.).

This might be 2015's Lego Movie if they can do the source material justice. Visuals are great.

OTOH the Christmas special is so indelible that I kind of don't want them to go anywhere near it with this.

Edited by cory
  • Like 1

I wouldn't use those words exactly, but it is nice to see a good natured film without the overused, gross slapstick.

I don't know about "gross", but the slapstick was the part of the trailer that worried me.   Charlie Brown stumbles and spills his popcorn...a bucket lands on his head...the kids laugh.   "Good grief".

That looked like an 80s sitcom.   The writing has to be better than that, right?

• Like 1

I don't know about "gross", but the slapstick was the part of the trailer that worried me. Charlie Brown stumbles and spills his popcorn...a bucket lands on his head...the kids laugh. "Good grief".

That looked like an 80s sitcom. The writing has to be better than that, right?

I dunno, that didn't seem TOO far off from the classic cartoons...

• Like 2

You should see if the Christmas special and the great pumpkin are ok YouTube.