CJohn

The Peanuts Movie | November 6, 2015

I'm excited to see where this ends up on RT. From those reactions it was looking like a 90% movie but I'm glad there's a bit of splitting among critics.

I mean, I'm obviously hoping for it to be amazing.

Peanuts really doesn't seem like a movie that should take "polarizing" as a badge of honor

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Peanuts really doesn't seem like a movie that should take "polarizing" as a badge of honor

No no of course not! I'm just saying that it will make for an interesting RT watch :) You know, after how boring box office has been for the past little while...

http://deadline.com/2015/11/spectre-second-best-james-bond-opening-peanuts-movie-weekend-box-office-preview-1201604894/

The Peanuts Movie is apt to bite into Spectre‘s ticket sales. The Blue Sky animation film from 20th Century Fox is on course to gross $40M (some even believe much higher) at an estimated 3,890 screens, drawing in families as a whole given its nostalgic appeal. Essentially, Peanuts could nab the adults that Spectre wants. Peanuts will play in 3D and there won’t be any Thursday night previews. Skyfall opened unopposed back in 2012.
  • Like 1

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-preview-spectre-peanuts-836282

Good grief, James Bond.

The combination of the world's most famous spy and most beloved four-legged beagle, aka James Bond and Snoopy, plus a boy named Charlie Brown, are expected to bring the North American box office back to life after a brutal few weeks.

Spectre, the 24th Bond film, is tracking to gross $70-$75 million domestically, less than the $88.4 million earned by Skyfall on its first weekend in November 2012, a series best. Some believe Spectre, reteaming director Sam Mendes and star Daniel Craig, could come in at $80 million, but Sony and MGM are being far more conservative, suggesting in the high $60 million-range.

Peanuts Movie, based on Charles M. Schulz's famous comic strip, is tracking to open in the $40 million-$44 million range for Fox, but there's plenty of upside.

Snopy will give 007 a tougher time then that White Persian Cat ever did.....

THis movie ,although it won't do Inside Out numbers,will suceed in grabbing a good deal of the adult audience;adults will go to see it without kids. Few animated movies outside Pixar can do that.

SPECTRE will take the weekend, but Peanuts will do very well.

• Like 1

Gotta say I felt Fox really stuck the landing with its marketing campaign. This film could've felt like such a non event (and I'm still curious/concerned about the upside on frontloadedness) but they're gonna pack Spectre a wallop this weekend if young adults come through. Capitalizing on nostalgia is the way to get 4-quadrants these days and Fox took it from all angles to make it happen, namely in film 'From the Creators of ICE AGE and RIO' that Schultz would still be proud of. 

• Like 1

I watched a few clips of the film, and it's... interesting. The score is this very standard, whimsical Christophe Beck score intermingled with Vince's nostalgic piano tunes, and the animation is bizarre. The mix of intentionally-crude, traditional animation elements over the slick CGI isn't done completely well, giving it a less-polished feeling, like an animation student's experimental project. 

However, it is nicely paced and they make some good mileage out of both adhering to and wryly poking fun of the world they're in. If anything, this movie is suited up to be Blue Sky's best film since the original Ice Age.

Although, of course, that's not saying much.

11 hours ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Peanuts doesn't seem like a film that get lot presales. I am hoping for 200m so my club wins. 

Agreed, it's a walk-up film.

No fear of sellouts but will be well attended.

The wife and I are going Friday or Sat night and we'll be walk-up purchases.

Gotta say I felt Fox really stuck the landing with its marketing campaign. This film could've felt like such a non event (and I'm still curious/concerned about the upside on frontloadedness) but they're gonna pack Spectre a wallop this weekend if young adults come through. Capitalizing on nostalgia is the way to get 4-quadrants these days and Fox took it from all angles to make it happen, namely in film 'From the Creators of ICE AGE and RIO' that Schultz would still be proud of. 

They made it look as good as they could've, I'll definitely give them that