CJohn

The Peanuts Movie | November 6, 2015

7 hours ago, langer said:

Anyone else feels like this will only be a success in the US? 

Just like Tintin is strong in EU and weak in the US, Peanuts seems strong in the US and weak outside. 

Might just be me also...

Peanuts is huge in Japan. 

How come Peanuts is not certified fresh? How come there are only 70 reviews for it?

Saw a 11:15 showing.   Kinda assumed I would have the theater to myself with no kids.

Wrong.   About 3/4 full with a bunch of kids...including some who were almost infants.   Good grief...    Well...the volume of the movie was really loud and the kids were on the other side so it didn't bother me.   Lots of trailers for other animated movies.   Alvin and the Chipmunks looks horrible.  They squeezed in a burp joke, and fart joke, and a poop joke.   No interest.    The one-joke Ice Age squirrel short before the feature was pretty good.   I should be tired of that guy but somehow he still made me giggle a little.

Pleasantly surprised.   Kept expectations low, but this was just the kind of "sweet" I was hoping for.   Corny, amusing, nostalgic, and heartwarming in all the right places.   Same vibe as the TV specials.   Snoopy and Charlie Brown dominate the narrative as expected.  (Wouldn't mind a little more Linus, Lucy, and Peppermint Patty)   My one gripe with the TV specials was the "mute Snoopy" but it didn't bother me here.   The animation worked....I never actually gave it much thought other than some really beautiful scenes featuring Snoopy.   Schulz's writing was used throughout so that took care of my big worry.

Walked out with an easy smile on my face.   Kinda why I walked in.

9/10

• Like 6

I saw this yesterday at noon in 2D. I arrived there 20 minutes before showtime and I was the first one there so I was thinking it would be a light crowd, but by the time it started it was about 80% full.

The movie was almost flawless. Except for the modern animation it looked and felt exactly like the originals from the 60's and 70's without  a single pop culture reference to date it at all. It was a warm feel good movie without ever getting preachy.

A near perfect 9.5/10

• Like 3

On November 6, 2015 at 9:35:40 AM, CaptainJackSparrow said:

That stupid short was annoying for my wife and I. I'd have rather had another 5min of Peanuts.

POST CREDIT SCENE

It's all of about 5 seconds but there is a non-verbal post credit scene that ties into the movie after the last music credits roll. 

Edited by Captain Craig
post credit
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Yeah, Scrat's shenanigans have run their course

The whole franchise has ran it's course after the first one. All the sequels were just recycling stuff from the first one. Never got why this franchise was so hugely popular.

The trailer for "The Road Chip" is the worst thing about the theatrical experience of going to see "The Peanuts Movie". It's so bad that even though I completely enjoyed the main feature, that's enough to make me recommend seeing it on DVD.

The movie was adorable, funny and sweet, if a tad corny at the end there. (that speech in the last scene... yea, a little much) It worked in so many great nods to the strip, specials and movies while also being its own thing. Snoopy's antics help cement him as one of the greatest cartoon characters ever made. 

For all the flack about the pop music here and there, it's really not too bad. If you choose to let it ruin the movie for you, then better re-straighten your priorities. Animation was also a neat blend that worked better throughout the whole film rather than brief clips.

It's very episodic (and there are a few brief scenes that play out literally as an animated comic strip), but it works well with the characters. My favorite "sequence" is easily the book report one. So many great laughs.

So, yea, a pleasant surprise. I hope TGD doesn't deter it too much so that it can earn a sequel. If they choose the same production team, I'd be totally up for it. 8/10

• Like 2