CJohn

The Peanuts Movie | November 6, 2015

Glad that the producers realised that  Charles Shultz's charecter design cannot be improved upon and to try to "reimagine" them would be really,really,stupid.

I am getting a good feeling about this. If they keep with the idea of being faithful to the original, Blue Sky could have a huge hit on their hands.

As to the guy who says that Peanuts is losing popularity, he is wrong,wrong,wrong. The Charecters are iconic, they have become perhaps the most loved of all comic strip charecters. They NEVER go out of style.  They will be here and be popular when the latest "Hot" and "Hip" animated film is long forgotten.

And glad we will get my own favorite Snoopy bit...the World War One Fighter Pilot!

CURSE YOU,RED BARON!

• Like 6

I think it'll do well, the specials still rate well despite being over 40 years old so a new film version should do well even though it's opening on the same day as the new Bond film. 

I like that animation studios are going with different styles and not the same old look. Warner Bros made CG Looney Tunes shorts where the characters looked stunning in CG but still had the characteristics that made them popular. I hope Blue Sky has the same ideas with Peanuts

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 4

Still feel that way or liking what you see?

Well, they sort of went 2D. Closer to my idea than I was expecting. It definitely has a better chance at filling one of those Oscar slots than I thought it would initially.

Still, they're Blue Sky, so I can't get excited until I see reviews. 

This is gonna fall short of 100M domestic.

All opinions are allowed, but you were born in what, 1998? so I can't really validate yours. Getting to know you since June, it doesn't seem like you've seen much/heard of anything, movies, TV, or music pre-1998, so you don't seem to understand Peanuts like the most of us who have watched the specials over the years and have read the comic strip in the newspaper. Speaking of, do you know what a newspaper is? Lol.

Peanuts has been around since the 50's, and crossed $1 billion in revenue a while ago. Pretty impressive for a comic strip. A comic strip that has been around since our grandparents generation and has included dozens of special and movies. 

I feel like you don't think this will be popular just because we don't see Charlie Brown and Snoopy on a regular basis and that's false. Justin Timberlake released an album in like 2006 and didn't release another until last year, but people still bought it and loved it. Just because he hadnt had an album in 7 years didn't mean he was irrelevant. Same with Fergie and Gwen Stefani who have been gone a while, but are now making new albums. (Yes I know they were on TV and in films and Fergie had BEP, but that doesn't affect their albums. Justin Timberlake being in Love Guru and TSN did nothing for his music). They still air the Peanuts holiday specials on TV and the Snoopy float is still a big one at the Macy's Parade, and Snoopi is the mascot of MetLife. "Good grief" is a catchphrase still used, and Lucy snatching the ball from under Charlie Brown is still iconic. Hell they just did this SuperBowl commercial this year: 

Obviously if its worth over $1 billion, people are still buying Peanuts merchandise. Charlie Brown and Snoopy were ranked the 8th best cartoon characters of all time by IGN. Peanuts will have the luxury of being familiar by people who were kids in the 60's and kids born in the 2000's. Not many franchises can say that. Even something as big and long-running as the Simpsons or Spongebob. This is clearing $100 million off brand name alone. $150 million is doable with holiday legs and if its good. If this movie is like the specials of the old days and really catches on, than I can see $200 million+, even with Good Dinosaur. Just because you don't see Charlie Brown plastered onto everything today doesn't mean he isn't relevant. Everyone knows who he is. Young and old.

• Like 8

This is gonna fall short of 100M domestic.

Peanuts is a syndicated daily and Sunday American comic strip written and illustrated by Charles M. Schulz, which ran from October 2, 1950, to February 13, 2000, continuing in reruns afterward. The strip is the most popular and influential in the history of comic strips, with 17,897 strips published in all,[1] making it "arguably the longest story ever told by one human being".[2] At its peak,Peanuts ran in over 2,600 newspapers, with a readership of 355 million in 75 countries, and was translated into 21 languages.[3] It helped to cement the four-panel gag strip as the standard in the United States,[4] and together with its merchandise earned Schulz more than $1 billion.[1] Reprints of the strip are still syndicated and run in almost every U.S. newspaper.

TV guide rated the number 4 cartoon of all time. 

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Greatest-Cartoons-TV-Guide-Magazine-1071203.aspx

Charles Schulz is 4th richest celebrity only behind Michael Jackson, Elvis, and J.R.R. Tolken   Charles Schultz is rated higher than John Lennon. 

http://www.mybanktracker.com/news/2010/11/23/richest-dead-celebrities-2010/ 

Not to mention Charles M. Schulz received

the Congressional Gold Medal (the highest civilian award) 

Inducted in the United States Hockey Hall of  Fame

Inducted in the Untied States Figuring Skating Hall of Fame

The Winner of Lest Patrick Trophy is a award for  who contributes to hockey in the United States ( one of the only none award winners who did not contribute to the NHL. The only none NHL person in the 1999 USA Women's Olympic team.