14 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I guess I will probably be in the minority on this one, but it wasn't that great to me.

Predictable story and ending, the scares were all the loud music jump stuff that you could see coming.

It's isn't bad, but nothing memorable, creepy or anything.

B/B-

The home movies themselves were the best and the scariest part. "The Family Barbeque" was unsettling as all hell.Otherwise Hawke is good in a bit of an unconventional main role (his character behaves like a careless asshole more than once, but you still want to see him get out of the predicament he's in), the atmosphere is good as well. The thing I didn't like the most was definitely the way the characters NEVER turned on the light when walking around the dark, obviously creepy house - it became ridiculous pretty quickly and really had me looking forward to any daylight scenes. The jump scares are there and vary from effective (the girl's face appearing alongside Hawke's) to completely unneeded (the very final one). Another thing I didn't like was how the secondary characters (the deputy, the sheriff, the professor) were set up and then left with no payoff in the end... made them all a bit of a luggage. On the other hand, I really liked the ending in a sense that the main character ultimately died in just as hopeless fashion as all the other victims. Not only didn't he get to fight the demon or get safely away from him, he never even had a single chance against him, and it didn't matter that he was the protagonist of this particular movie. And that's how it should be.

The home movies themselves were the best and the scariest part. "The Family Barbeque" was unsettling as all hell.Otherwise Hawke is good in a bit of an unconventional main role (his character behaves like a careless asshole more than once, but you still want to see him get out of the predicament he's in), the atmosphere is good as well. The thing I didn't like the most was definitely the way the characters NEVER turned on the light when walking around the dark, obviously creepy house - it became ridiculous pretty quickly and really had me looking forward to any daylight scenes. The jump scares are there and vary from effective (the girl's face appearing alongside Hawke's) to completely unneeded (the very final one).Another thing I didn't like was how the secondary characters (the deputy, the sheriff, the professor) were set up and then left with no payoff in the end... made them all a bit of a luggage. On the other hand, I really liked the ending in a sense that the main character ultimately died in just as hopeless fashion as all the other victims. Not only didn't he get to fight the demon or get safely away from him, he never even had a single chance against him, and it didn't matter that he was the protagonist of this particular movie. And that's how it should be.

Yeah that sums up a lot of how I felt about the film. Yeah the home movies were the best part.I also thought the same thing about no on turning on the lights and the secondary characters. It's part of why I didn't grade the movie much higher.

The killings on teh home movies were good. The rest of the movie was terrible. Every single "BOO" in this film I knew was coming. Even the last one where the guys face pops up on the screen. The story is ridiculous and really makes no sense. The ghoul also has no real reason for doing what he does. It's not like he needs people's souls to become human again. He just kills so that a movie can be made. And here's a tip for the family. TURNS ON SOME FUCKING LIGHTS. Seriously, it's like they forgot that they are living in the 2000's where, you know, THEY HAVE ELECTRICITY. Terrible film imo.3/10

Edited by Halloween baumer
  • Like 1

This was one of the scariest movies I've seen in ages and much scarier than the latest Pararnormal Activity. Very chilling and well-thought out, with some silly horror cliches that make you scream "Don't go in the attic!" and "Get out of the house!" and so on. A terrifying movie.

I thought it was pretty scary, but I also agree that Ethan Hawke's character needs to turn on some lights. If I was freaked out by something like he was experiencing, trust me, every light in my house would be on. Also, if your kids are drawing homicidal pictures there needs to be more concern other than thinking it's some coincidence... Still delivered on scariness though which is most important in this movie.B+

• Like 1

I'm not a big horror movie guy if I'm perfectly honest. I enjoy a good horror movie when I see one, but its far from my favorite genre. The last horror movie I saw before Sinister was The Devil Inside, and that thing wasn't scary at all. It left a taste of shit in my mouth after watching it. Sinister didnt. It is in fact a good movie, and I'd be lying if I said it didn't scare the crap out of me quite a few times. There are genuinely upsetting things in Sinister, the most disturbing being the super 8 footage Ethan Hawke (excellent) finds in his attic. These bits are easily the most unsettling highlights of this film, I almost felt violated after the one where the family is burned alive. Some of the shit they show is now etched into my brain, and I have to applaud the filmmakers for that, because good horror stays under your skin. I also appreciate the use of spooky atmosphere instead of either constant jump scares or torture even though I have to agree with everyone on the stupidity of the fact that nobody switches onthe lights! The non-horror elements dont work so well, with a dopey police officer and a literally phoned-in Vincent D'Onofrio cameo feeling awkward and some of the dialogue being pretty poor at times. I also have mixed feelings about the ending because while it is pretty scary it didnt feel very satisfying to me. Still, this is a very entertaining and often really scary ride. I liked it enough to give it a3/5

Edited by Jack Nevada