Neo

Blade Runner 2049 | October 6, 2017 | Villeneuve directs | Full Trailer on Page 40

19 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

Sorry that they all probably suck but y'all remember them fondly because MEMBERBERRIES.

I have been telling you people that there are a lot of young kids around here. 

@ChipMunky dude! You don't get to choose which films are important in the history of cinema, older people will tell you which those are. 3 of the 4 films you just dismissed (in a tremendous show of early-teen ignorance) are absolute masterpieces of cinema. END of f***ing story!!! The other one (Braveheart) is really, really good! 

I understand you a little bit (only a little) because when I first started learning about films, I was often reluctant to engage with the classics which were released years/decades before I as born. But still, I realized very early on that I had to know what I was talking about. I had to go around looking for old VHS tapes around Cyprus! You kids today are lucky, you can find all the great classics of old after a few seconds of googling. 

So, stop embarrassing yourself, and even more importantly, do yourself a favor and check out those great classics like The Godfather, Vertigo or Blade Runner. 

You will be thanking us afterwards (or when you grow up) 

Edited by PPZVGOS
  • Like 2

You can argue about the quality of these films but not importance. There are still few films every year around the world made inspired by godfather.

Birth of the nation, citizen kane (a film I despise) pave the road for how the films are made. Jaw termed the word blockbuster.

Seven samurai, star wars, 2001 and many other films.

And as you see I named the usual fare, not watched much old films.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

Sorry that they all probably suck but y'all remember them fondly because MEMBERBERRIES.

They probably suck because they are classics? Is that really the kind of logic you're trying to push here? Wow.

It doesn't matter anyway I guess as once you chose to be rude about it you completely lost the argument.

1 minute ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

You can argue about the quality of these films but not importance. There are still few films every year around the world made inspired by godfather.

Birth of the nation, citizen kane (a film I despise) pave the road for how the films are made. Jaw termed the word blockbuster.

Seven samurai, star wars, 2001 and many other films.

And as you see I named the usual fare, not watched much old films.

I disagree that you can argue about the quality of films that have stood the test of time over several decades. You can argue over idiosyncratic preferences. For me, Vertigo is much better than Psycho, but I cannot argue that Psycho is not a masterpiece. I can argue that Lawrence of Arabia is better than The Bridge on the River Kwai, but both are films are landmarks. I also much prefer 2001 over A Clockwork Orange and so on and so on. 

Also, am I reading this right?

citizen kane (a film I despise)

How is that possible? I would say that Casablanca is not my cup of tea, but I could never claim to despise it. 

For me, Vertigo, Lawrence of Arabia, Citizen Kane, Apocalypse Now, 2001, The Shining and Blade Runner are the pinnacle of cinematic achievement. I can't fathom how anyone would not be awestruck by those films. Also, Kubrick in particular! In my view (and I'm sure many would agree) the man has never made a film that is short of amazing. Some of his films are flawed alright, but are still uniquely precious and rewarding. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

I disagree that you can argue about the quality of films that have stood the test of time over several decades. You can argue over idiosyncratic preferences. For me, Vertigo is much better than Psycho, but I cannot argue that Psycho is not a masterpiece. I can argue that Lawrence of Arabia is better than The Bridge on the River Kwai, but both are films are landmarks. I also much prefer 2001 over A Clockwork Orange and so on and so on. 

Also, am I reading this right?

How is that possible? I would say that Casablanca is not my cup of tea, but I could never claim to despise it. 

For me, Vertigo, Lawrence of Arabia, Citizen Kane, Apocalypse Now, 2001, The Shining and Blade Runner are the pinnacle of cinematic achievement. I can't fathom how anyone would not be awestruck by those films. Also, Kubrick in particular! In my view (and I'm sure many would agree) the man has never made a film that is short of amazing. Some of his films are flawed alright, but are still uniquely precious and rewarding. 

It has to do with expectation. I kept hearing about best films of all time like godfather,citizen kane, arabia etc. Enjoyed every one of them but when I reached citizen kane, I was highly disappointed.

And I disagree about quality part, even critics are divided on hitchhocks ' work. And I think, even the things which have been beloved for a long time should be questioned. Nothing is loved by everyone. Show any of the above films to an average indian and the reaction would be not wrong. You can not say to him he is wrong.

No, they don't suck. But the amount of adoration that a lot of old films get is purely because they're considered classics. Not because they actually are.

A lot of older films have poor structure, and are overlong. Maybe some day when I'm Tele's age I will want to watch films that don't interest me, but right now, I don't. 

Yes, I understand their importance to the history of cinema. Doesn't mean I have to like or want to watch them. 

it's definitely memberberries for me. i remember watching the godfather when i was six years old. had my godfather lunchbox, my godfather action figures. playing godfather with the other kids in school. i'd always want to be tom hagen but they'd always make me Luca Brasi!

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

I have been telling you people that there are a lot of young kids around here. 

@ChipMunky dude! You don't get to choose which films are important in the history of cinema, older people will tell you which those are. 3 of the 4 films you just dismissed (in a tremendous show of early-teen ignorance) are absolute masterpieces of cinema. END of f***ing story!!! The other one (Braveheart) is really, really good! 

I understand you a little bit (only a little) because when I first started learning about films, I was often reluctant to engage with the classics which were released years/decades before I as born. But still, I realized very early on that I had to know what I was talking about. I had to go around looking for old VHS tapes around Cyprus! You kids today are lucky, you can find all the great classics of old after a few seconds of googling. 

So, stop embarrassing yourself, and even more importantly, do yourself a favor and check out those great classics like The Godfather, Vertigo or Blade Runner. 

You will be thanking us afterwards (or when you grow up) 

I love that you think I'm a teenager. I never said the films weren't important. And was being tongue-in-cheek when saying they "probably" suck.

But I highly doubt I would enjoy Braveheart/Gladiator/Godfather. They're just not my type of films.

I'll think about seeing Blade Runner before seeing this, but I saw Tron Legacy without seeing the original, and I liked that just fine.

• Like 1

The film I always use in my discussion of people liking old films just because they remember it different is... Total Recall.

The original is SO bad. But hey, my dad LOVES it. And I remember liking it when I was younger. I can't sit through it anymore.

6 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

No, they don't suck. But the amount of adoration that a lot of old films get is purely because they're considered classics. Not because they actually are.

I think you -- and most people, tbh -- use "classic" to mean "older movie that I like or appreciate". But consider another definition: a movie that was so powerful and/or cutting edge that it has inspired a generation (or generations) of filmmakers. Sometimes classics are recognized in their time (by critics and audience), sometimes that status comes later. 

That Hitchcock's best and most famous movies are classics are indisputable, whether you like them or not (personally, I love some and am indifferent to others). The same is true for KANE, SEVEN SAMURAI, and any number of other famous, trend-setting classics. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, PPZVGOS said:

If you haven't seen the first, I have no idea why you'd be commenting on movies at all. 

I think most people on a box office message board have a lot of blind spot on that list (I know I have a lot of them, some easily available to rent and yet I took time to watch suicide squad instead of one of those):

http://www.theyshootpictures.com/21stcentury_allfilms_table.php

That would be someone Blade Runner, it is a box office message board and even on a criterion message board, there is so many classic to watch.