Neo

Blade Runner 2049 | October 6, 2017 | Villeneuve directs | Full Trailer on Page 40

10 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

No, they don't suck. But the amount of adoration that a lot of old films get is purely because they're considered classics. Not because they actually are.

Whether or not something is a classic is not a matter of opinion. "Classic" doesn't reflect quality (which is subjective) so much as a work's place/significance in culture and history. You are free to hate a classic movie but that doesn't make it any less of one.

14 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

It has to do with expectation. I kept hearing about best films of all time like godfather,citizen kane, arabia etc. Enjoyed every one of them but when I reached citizen kane, I was highly disappointed.

Yeah this is what I was talking about above. Citizen Kane is a prime example of a movie harmed by its reputation because after freaking decades of BEST FILM EVER talk people come to it with expectations that are impossible to fulfill. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

No, they don't suck. But the amount of adoration that a lot of old films get is purely because they're considered classics. Not because they actually are.

A lot of older films have poor structure, and are overlong. Maybe some day when I'm Tele's age I will want to watch films that don't interest me, but right now, I don't. 

There is older films and older film, maybe that yes most of the 360 movie on 1943 are like that, but not those who passed the test of time, it tend to not be purely reputation base why people have a nice subjective experience watching them (it certainly play a role and will make the viewer accept some issue at the beginning of the movie more easily, give the movie a chance and so on), but usually there is something there.

In term of structure, older movie did tend to have solid one, in term of running time older movie often went all in at the beginning exposition wise, placing the situation and all character clearly to save money, time and leave the running time for the story (The beginning of The Adventure of Robin Hood or King Kong being good example of that).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

The film I always use in my discussion of people liking old films just because they remember it different is... Total Recall.

The original is SO bad. But hey, my dad LOVES it. And I remember liking it when I was younger. I can't sit through it anymore.

Yeah but you were arguing earlier about the supposed quality of movies you haven't even watched. I don't get that.

Wanna tell me a beloved movie is crap in your opinion? Fair enough as long as you have actually watched it.

22 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Whether or not something is a classic is not a matter of opinion. "Classic" doesn't reflect quality (which is subjective) so much as a work's place/significance in culture and history. You are free to hate a classic movie but that doesn't make it any less of one.

Yeah this is what I was talking about above. Citizen Kane is a prime example of a movie harmed by its reputation because after freaking decades of BEST FILM EVER talk people come to it with expectations that are impossible to fulfill. 

There is not a definitive list of "Classics", though. Thus making it a matter of opinion.

14 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Yeah but you were arguing earlier about the supposed quality of movies you haven't even watched. I don't get that.

Wanna tell me a beloved movie is crap in your opinion? Fair enough as long as you have actually watched it.

I said PROBABLY. I didn't say they WERE.

13 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Yes, there is, as I said. US Film Registry is essentially the cinematic Hall of Fame.

https://www.loc.gov/programs/national-film-preservation-board/film-registry/complete-national-film-registry-listing/

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea took 100! years to get on the list. So was it not a classic until last year? Or is this subjective?

39 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea took 100! years to get on the list. So was it not a classic until last year? Or is this subjective?

It's not an exhaustive list. But any movie that gets on there has some sort of cultural relevance.

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

It's not an exhaustive list. But any movie that gets on there has some sort of cultural relevance.

Right. But they're not all, what a person would consider, Classics. I'm sure you could find films where everyone? who matters?! agrees which is a Classic and which isn't, but that's still subjective.

5 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

Right. But they're not all, what a person would consider, Classics. I'm sure you could find films where everyone? who matters?! agrees which is a Classic and which isn't, but that's still subjective.

I don't think "classic" is as subjective as "favorite movies". At a certain point whether you love or hate a film you have to recognize its influence and importance to our culture. Not everyone may like Star Wars (or Blade Runner) but it is still an objective classic.

Edited by tribefan695

It has been fashionable for a very long time now, to take the "subjective" argument and run with it to ridiculous extremes! 

I guess there is subjectivity in the world, but there's also objectivity which is a superior principle. Some films are great, others are bad the grey area is much smaller than most would like to pretend. 

• Like 2