Neo

Blade Runner 2049 | October 6, 2017 | Villeneuve directs | Full Trailer on Page 40

Now on the flipside..a more negative take

Spoiler

Our little bird has flown home today to share with us the earliest buzz on Blade Runner 2049, and it’s…not great.

It would appear that the general consensus was that the film’s pacing is plodding, and that it drags with a running time of nearly three hours. Simply put, it didn’t test very well.

What’s interesting is that pacing is a recurring critique when it comes to test screenings for Villeneuve’s films. He’s a filmmaker who enjoys a good slow burn, but his initial cuts tend to be a little too slow. Similar complaints were brought up after test screenings for Sicario and Arrival, the director’s last two efforts. The good news is, in both instances, the films got substantially tightened up because of the test screening responses. The results? Sicario was a critical darling and indie hit that is spawning a sequel, and Arrival was nominated for multiple Academy Awards including Best Picture!

So here’s hoping that these initial not-so-hot responses lead to the same outcome for Blade Runner 2049, and that it ends up getting edited down and streamlined before it arrives in theaters in four months.

http://splashreport.com/exclusive-the-earliest-buzz-for-blade-runner-2049-is-here-and-it/

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, antovolk said:

Jeff Wells on apparent test screening

Reveal hidden contents

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/2017/06/longish-noir-search-answer/

Hopefully this is true.

We have tons of fanboi movie around. This should be high-brow and maybe it will make money and maybe it won't. 

If the studio force DV to dumb it down in the hope of GA-appeal, they risk making a mediocre movie that still doesn't make money. 

@WrathOfHan -> I think that the demand for more refined sci-fi has been consistently underestimated by Hollywood. If Arrival could make $100M, then surely there's a market for more serious (or even pretentious, depending on your taste and POV) sci-fi. Also in the past, 2001, Alien, Inception, Gravity and Interstellar made tons of money, despite not being at all conventional sci-fi movies. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Hopefully this is true.

We have tons of fanboi movie around. This should be high-brow and maybe it will make money and maybe it won't. 

If the studio force DV to dumb it down in the hope of GA-appeal, they risk making a mediocre movie that still doesn't make money. 

We'll get the 2017 theatrical cut thats a box-office bomb with mediocre reviews.  In 2027 we'll get Denis Villeneuve Director's Cut and in 2042 we'll get The Final Cut.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Hopefully this is true.

@WrathOfHan -> I think that the demand for more refined sci-fi has been consistently underestimated by Hollywood. If Arrival could make $100M, then surely there's a market for more serious (or even pretentious, depending on your taste and POV) sci-fi. Also in the past, 2001, Alien, Inception, Gravity and Interstellar made tons of money, despite not being at all conventional sci-fi movies. 

But are they looking for Blade Runner? The original only adjusts to 82.9M (92.9M with rereleases), and it's not like Blade Runner is a household name. Among film buffs and sci-fi fans, it is, but to the GA? I highly doubt it. The 160-165 minute runtime sure as shit won't help it either. This won't be as nearly accessible as Interstellar. 

Edited by WrathOfHan

It also doesn't help that general audiences will feel burned by not getting what they were promised a la Covenant; this is going to be a slow burn and not the action packed film the trailers are promising, and 

Spoiler

Harrison Ford doesn't appear until the last 40 minutes.

Edited by WrathOfHan

49 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Hopefully this is true.

I doubt studio have much control, probably independently done.

Has for refined/celebral Sci-fi, even great one tend to have hard time:

Arrival did less that WW first weekend alone and is considered a big success.

We got a lot of more serious sci-fi recently, and even the hyped good/great one had a hard time a the BO:

midnight special : 3.7 million

Ex Machina: 25.4 million

Her: 25.5 million

I'm not sure they are underrating demand.

The big spectacle that have the big emotional beat (Martian, Inception, Gravity, Interstellar, Jurassic Park) tend to be those that really do well.

• Like 3

Seems like this film was drive by a cult following louder than it's actual numbers suggest. I don't think there was ever mainstream love for BR and it's Boxoffice will reflect that I believe.
I can see this doing Tron numbers (a similar example).

I'm a big Harrison Ford fan. I'm lukewarm on Blade Runner but very curious about this sequel.

At PotC we saw this trailer, then again at Wonder Woman to which I leaned off and told my wife "I'm getting very curious to see this now".

The release date is October 6, my wife's due date is Sept 28.

She leans back over and says "You may have to just be curious on Blu Ray this Christmas!" 

:ohmygod:

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

I'm a big Harrison Ford fan. I'm lukewarm on Blade Runner but very curious about this sequel.

At PotC we saw this trailer, then again at Wonder Woman to which I leaned off and told my wife "I'm getting very curious to see this now".

The release date is October 6, my wife's due date is Sept 28.

She leans back over and says "You may have to just be curious on Blu Ray this Christmas!" 

:ohmygod:

:lol: 

(And congratulations to both of you as well.)

• Like 2

22 hours ago, antovolk said:

Jeff Wells on apparent test screening

Hide contents

I’ve been told, in fact, that the latest cut of Blade Runner 2049, which was test-screened last night in Paramus, New Jersey, runs between 160 and 165 minutes, and that Ford doesn’t appear until “around” the two-hour mark. A guy who attended suspects the Denis Villenueve‘s film will play better with the critics than with your run-of-the-mill, popcorn-inhaling sci-fi geeks. That, to me, would be excellent news.

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/2017/06/longish-noir-search-answer/

Excellent.

Edited by Goffe