Neo

Blade Runner 2049 | October 6, 2017 | Villeneuve directs | Full Trailer on Page 40

19 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Yeah it looks dumber and broader than before. Hope it's just the trailer they cut specifically for the casuals but I dunno. Better temper my expectations a little. 

that is definitely the case. we're lucky, especially with Sony involvement, that they didn't start outright spoiling shit in this trailer.

18 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

also i hope this is a suicide squad situation where all the jared leto scenes are in the trailers (i seem to remember him being cast pretty late into production so maybe?) because he's all over that fucking trailer with that stupid fucking buffalo bill voice he's doing.

I think they're trying to make him the Rutger Hauer-like character here. He seems to have a pretty decent sized role compared to someone like Bautista who hasn't appeared in the trailers outside of one setting.

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

WB is handling the domestic distribution and marketing.

but the creative materials - both studios have a say as all the trailers, posters and so on are used globally  by both studios.

13 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

It gets me more and more every time I see a big action trailer with rapid cutting and blaring music in which, near the end, someone inevitably shouts "WHERE IS HE?!!" at someone else, in what's supposed to be this emotionally intense moment that helps sell you on the movie. Except, who the fuck is "he"? Why is this random person shouting at another random person? Why should I care? You can make your trailer a self-contained piece of work while still getting your explosions and shit in there. You can also use these random out-of-context snippets carefully so that they increase the intrigue instead of just assaulting the audience with shit that means absolutely nothing on any level until you see it in the actual movie. 

A trailer needs to work on a visceral level. I don't really care who shouts what, as long as it gives me that tingly sensation. I don't think this trailer was just a bunch of random stuff, either. It clearly communicates that the protagonist as well as the "bad guys" are in search of Ford's character and that he might be connected to some big secret that relates to artificial humans. I don't need to know more. I don't want to be spoiled.

• Like 1

Decent trailer but it definitely feels like it was intentionally cut for normies.   2nd one is a lot better.  

And there seems to be a lot of hate for Leto in some corners for some reason that I don't get but then again I know better to waste time and money on terrible shit like suicide squad.

Edited by Ozymandias

Good trailer, though the typical rapid cutting isn't my thing, but the trailer clearly shows us what the film's plot appears to be about. Superb visuals and I think I heard a remix of a Vangelis track in the background. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

It gets me more and more every time I see a big action trailer with rapid cutting and blaring music in which, near the end, someone inevitably shouts "WHERE IS HE?!!" at someone else, in what's supposed to be this emotionally intense moment that helps sell you on the movie. Except, who the fuck is "he"? Why is this random person shouting at another random person? Why should I care? You can make your trailer a self-contained piece of work while still getting your explosions and shit in there. You can also use these random out-of-context snippets carefully so that they increase the intrigue instead of just assaulting the audience with shit that means absolutely nothing on any level until you see it in the actual movie. 

When Dave Bautista appears to be the greatest actor out of your trailer, there's something wrong in your pudding. Why do all the actors look so midly unconvincing and utterly stilted wandering in the middle of this CG Society demoreel?(FU Leto). That "WHERE IS HE?!" punchline is terrible in acting and delivery.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, dashrendar44 said:

When Dave Bautista appears to be the greatest actor out of your trailer, there's something wrong in your pudding. Why all the actors look so midly unconvincing and utterly stiff wandering in the middle of this CG Society demoreel? That "WHERE IS HE?!" punchline is terrible in acting and delivery.

You already figured it out. They are all replicants!!!

I always smirk at film geeks like myself who ignore that they are the minority and that these big films have to look appealing to the majority. They needed a less obscure trailer just like Wonder Woman needed that last fast paced action trailer with the Imagine Dragons song that people like to make fun of. It was an effective trailer and I assure you it worked.

Now I didn't even like the first Blade Runner so I'm not some sort of stan defending the Blade Runner Legacy at all cost. I'm just giving you guys an observation that I've had about trailers in relations to film geeks. I think they needed a less obscure trailer and that it was a good idea to release a trailer like this. They have to convince regular people to see Bladerunner2049 not Geeks online. Anyone who's watched a Denis Villeneuve film knows that he is not a dumb straight forward action director.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I always smirk at film geeks like myself who ignore that they are the minority and that these big films have to look appealing to the majority. They needed a less obscure trailer just like Wonder Woman needed that last fast paced action trailer with the Imagine Dragons song that people like to make fun of. It was an effective trailer and I assure you it worked.

Now I didn't even like the first Blade Runner so I'm not some sort of stan defending the Blade Runner Legacy at all cost. I'm just giving you guys an observation that I've had about trailers in relations to film geeks. I think they needed a less obscure trailer and that it was a good idea to release a trailer like this. They have to convince regular people to see Bladerunner2049 not Geeks online. Anyone who's watched Denis Villeneuve knows that he is not a dumb straight forward action director.

Mismarketing is going to lead to shit WOM. Just look at ICAN and Covenant. 

19 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Mismarketing is going to lead to shit WOM. Just look at ICAN and Covenant. 

Covenant failed opening weekend because of Prometheus. Yes they falsely marketed ICAN. They sold a completely different movie. I fail to see how they are mismarketing BladeRunner2049 because they released a more mainstream trailer?  we have no proof that they're selling a completely different movie. I think you're taking this trailer in a bizarre sort of way that I'm not taking it. The trailer is still saying that the movie is going to be a heady sci-fi movie, it's just not so freaking obscure that you don't care about it and won't even give the movie a chance.

Edited by Zakiyyah6