Neo

Blade Runner 2049 | October 6, 2017 | Villeneuve directs | Full Trailer on Page 40

On 9/8/2017 at 3:17 AM, filmlover said:

Didn't Leto recently admit all of the stories of his antics from making Suicide Squad were made up? Yeah, this is too.

he backtracked on it because everyone has spent a year calling him a dumbass for doing it? shocking.

On 10/9/2017 at 5:11 PM, ddddeeee said:

So Jóhann Jóhannsson had his scores for this and mother! rejected. Not a good year.

Zimmer is a good fit for this.

His score wasn't exactly rejected for mother! FYI.

It was Aronofski 's decision 

Spoiler

to have almost no score in the movie

Edited by The Futurist

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

No, they just wanted a good score, so that's why they hired Zimmer. Johanson is overhyped af.

Both, Arrival and Sicario sounded great. Not a score to listen to separately but great for setting the mood.

Edited by Elessar

1 hour ago, Elessar said:

Both, Arrival and Sicario sounded great. Not a score to listen to separately but great for setting the mood.

What Johanson wrote for Arrival and Sicario is sounds, not music. Blade Runner score is about music, so the guy who can only write sounds of scratching metal is a bad choice. Even Villeneuve knows it and basically admitted it in french interview. Zimmer is the best thing, besides Vangelis, that could happen with this project in score department. He's a far superior composer to Johanson and can compose anything.

5 hours ago, Joel M said:

Johan Johansson is very good. Especially his work on Theory of Everything was amazing, even if the movie was forgettable.

Maybe the studio thought he didn't have enough BWAAMS for a 150m+ movie.

Used to really like Theory of Everything music until I read the best stuff wasn't actually composed by Johansson.

Its most memorable cues came from the documentary Crimson Wing. And the rest of the score felt like someone was trying to mimic Desplat so very hard. 

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Firepower said:

What Johanson wrote for Arrival and Sicario is sounds, not music.

A score is there to support the images. Being less melodic is not necessarily a bad thing, or an easer thing to do. In my book, his "sounds" worked in both cases.

• Like 1

Sicario's score is one of the best of the past few years. I like Zimmer but he is a boring as hell choice for this. Then again I still don't understand why they never even bothered to ask Vangelis if he wanted to do this, he's still alive and active. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Futurist said:

His score wasn't exactly rejected for mother! FYI.

It was Aronofski 's decision 

Reveal hidden contents

He decided that after a score was written though. It's a rejection.

I've always found Johannson to be a very weak dramatist so I'm all for this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Sicario's score is one of the best of the past few years. I like Zimmer but he is a boring as hell choice for this. Then again I still don't understand why they never even bothered to ask Vangelis if he wanted to do this, he's still alive and active. 

For years I thought  Vangelis was a band.  No clue it was just one guy

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Elessar said:

A score is there to support the images. Being less melodic is not necessarily a bad thing, or an easer thing to do. In my book, his "sounds" worked in both cases.

But this is completely different case and that's why Johanson is totally wrong choice for this movie. To me it doesn't matter if Zimmer is an obvious choice or not, what really matters is the final result.

23 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Vangelis isn't really interested in composing for films anymore apparently. Wouldn't surprise me, if they did ask him if he was interested in a Blade Runner sequel, & he said no.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1