Neo

Blade Runner 2049 | October 6, 2017 | Villeneuve directs | Full Trailer on Page 40

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

When has run time hurt a movie at the box office? 

Good question.  Usually hasn't.  I just think that in this particular case...this seems like a rare 'art film' that's been given a big investment purely on reputation of the original...and it doesn't necessarily appeal to wide audiences.  The runtime may not hurt it, per se...but it could try certain casual viewers' patience...

But they keep showing up for these 2&1/2 hour Transformers movies, so what do I know?

Edited by Macleod

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Kinda weird this didn't play at Toronto, has no buzz about quality,  and doesn't  have any reactions or reviews in sight. But who knows. 

Wondered about this too but with recent news about Johannsson I presume the score wasn't finished in time for the festivals

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 0:43 PM, Steele131 said:

THR article also mentions its budget is at least 100M. I hope it's closer to that number than 150M

I hope it is on the 150m+ plus giant extravagant spectacle, the more on screen the better, would be really rare for a movie like that.

And it is not like a sequel is in play here.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 1:42 PM, John Marston said:

When has run time hurt a movie at the box office? 

For first weekend of blockbuster I could imagine, having less screening mechanically can affect it, say Wolf of Wall street first weekend, would a 2hours instead of 3 hours DiCaprio-Scorsese acclaimed movie with a very fun and one of the best trailer of the year open less than 20m ?

After that, runtime can affect the subjective experience and the word of mouth, but that would be hard to assess, some movie have probably a shorter better version that could exist, the Tarantino`s since the death of is editor, etc... that could have made a bit better. 

46 minutes ago, Barnack said:

For first weekend of blockbuster I could imagine, having less screening mechanically can affect it, say Wolf of Wall street first weekend, would a 2hours instead of 3 hours DiCaprio-Scorsese acclaimed movie with a very fun and one of the best trailer of the year open less than 20m ?

After that, runtime can affect the subjective experience and the word of mouth, but that would be hard to assess, some movie have probably a shorter better version that could exist, the Tarantino`s since the death of is editor, etc... that could have made a bit better. 

Wolf Of Wall Street did have some amazing ass legs though. 

2 hours ago, UNDERDOG said:

Wolf Of Wall Street did have some amazing ass legs though. 

It is harder to imagine the numbers of screening affecting legs yes, specially for a movie like that, no one could not buy a ticket for a screening except at the very first most in demand shows I would imagine. Even if it must have still some small effect, just in a mechanic way that almost no screening are empty, so more of them, more bo.

I am beating the same dead horse as everyone here, but at this point Deakins is the Stanley Kubrick of DP.

There is no other DP in the world that has as much influence on how good a movie looks these days.

Skyfall & Spectre are fascinating case studies.