Neo

Blade Runner 2049 | October 6, 2017 | Villeneuve directs | Full Trailer on Page 40

The OS prospects aren't that strong I guess.

Tron did 172 + 228 = 400 ww (os 57% of ww)

Fury Road did 154 + 225 = 379 ww (os 59% of ww)

If this does 150 dom then os being 55-60% of ww means

150 + 183 = 333 (os 55% of ww)

150 + 225 = 375 (os 60% of ww)

edit: China has grown since Tron though so OS could be stronger in comparison. Also Tron sucked balls and if this one is good, it has a shot at 400 ww - which it badly needs going by the budget.

Edited by a2knet

For some reason people seem to think that the Mad Max movies were huge blockbusters in the states when they weren't. Blade Runner was a flop but I would say that it was more popular than those films. Blade Runner 2049 could easily flop but it could also pull a Fury Road and make 150+mil as well. Blade Runner isn't guaranteed anything but the way people act like 150+mil is impossible is strange.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I went to see Fury Road 3 times in theatres with 10 different people all of them around 25-35 years old. Only 1 had ever seen a Mel Gibson Mad Max but most had a vague sense of what Mad Max is and recognised the iconography. They were not "fans" per se, but the familiarity with the brand was still one of the reasons they wanted to see it.

We know that Blade Runner doesn't have the big loony fanbase that will show up anyway and do 45m OW just because. But if the stars aligned like they did with Fury Road with great marketing+reception the brand recognition alone will get it much higher.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

And I'd like to add that it NEEDS good reviews but no it doesn't NEED to have to have the exact same Rotten Tomatoes score as Fury Road did.

Something like 85-93 On RT and 75-85 on Metacritic. With those type of reviews then I can definitely see a 50M opening Weekend, maybe even a 60M+

Thing about Fury Road is that at its core it's still a fairly straight forward popcorn action movie. Anyone who sees it can easily understand it and it moves at a brisk pace. Same goes with Gravity to a similar extent.

I don't know if Blade Runner won't come across as too complex or deliberately paced for some especially with the length it has.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Fury Road had a monster marketing campaign and monster reviews

This.

Why people are comparing a full-on action franchise whose pace is adrenaline pumped to a moody scifi film noir whose pace is sluggish (And Villeneuve doesn't seem to stray away from the contemplative mood of the original movie to embrace a breathtaking relentless approach)?

When has BR2049 pumped up such iconic trailer material that drove the hype through the roof leading to its release to unabashed raves all across the board (+Cannes Festival launch) even for people who've never heard of Mad Max when BR2049's marketing seems just content to preach for the converted and not much else?

I saw Blade Runner many times on DVD and still I can't muster any excitement rushing to see this sequel apart recognizing visuals here and there that could make nice desktop wallpapers.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1