Neo

Blade Runner 2049 | October 6, 2017 | Villeneuve directs | Full Trailer on Page 40

3 hours ago, somebody85 said:

So fucking good. Easily the best sci-fi film since Arrival and Ex Machina (I still liked those slightly more). It's the type of film that requires multiple viewings to really get everything and I can't wait to experience it again.

Was incredible in the Dolby ATMOS theater. 

feel the same and can vouch the IMAX admission is worth it for sound alone.

on a related note, i love gosling's career choices.  can you imagine the superhero/franchises/shitty rom coms that have been thrown his way, most likely with huge checks attached, that he's turned down? and the thing is when HE does do those films (a la BR 2049, Crazy Stupid Love) they're great entertainment and never shallow.  he's selective, but not pompous (doesnt mind making fun of himself on snl, seems casual in interviews) and 9 times out of 10 takes roles that are in very well reviewed movies.  he is my favorite actor of the under 40 generation (drive is still for me, his gold standard) and I'm genuinely excited to watch his career play out.

Edited by RyneOh1040

The main commentary from people leaving the theater last night was, indeed, the length of the film.  People seemed to enjoy it, but the comments were all along the lines of "it was pretty good, but really long."

Personally, I think you could easily trim 30 minutes.

I had some plot and stylistic niggles but otherwise yeah, it was mostly pretty incredible. The audience definitely felt the length though. I feel like quite a few of them hadn't even seen the first, something the film isn't really forgiving of (nor should it be).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I had some plot and stylistic niggles but otherwise yeah, it was mostly pretty incredible. The audience definitely felt the length though. I feel like quite a few of them hadn't even seen the first, something the film isn't really forgiving of (nor should it be).

I'm honestly baffled at people talking about the length as a negative.  I think its because modern audiences are now conditioned to expect action when they see a big expensive looking movie coming out.  This could have very easily been an action movie or a movie with a ton of action in the 3rd act, especially with that 2 hour/44 min runtime.  Props to Denis Villeneuve, Ridley Scott, and Hampton Fancher for not turning Blade Runner into an action franchise and actually enhancing the first movie in some ways with this.

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I'm honestly baffled at people talking about the length as a negative.  I think its because modern audiences are now conditioned to expect action when they see a big expensive looking movie coming out.  This could have very easily been an action movie or a movie with a ton of action in the 3rd act, especially with that 2 hour/44 min runtime.  Props to Denis Villeneuve, Ridley Scott, and Hampton Fancher for not turning Blade Runner into an action franchise and actually enhancing the first movie in some ways with this.

Honestly, it just feels the movie is going nowhere a bunch of times. It’s hardly about not enough action, and in fact, if I could edit something out, one of the action sequences would be the first stuff to go.

Edited by Goffe
potential spoilers

Also, if your movie tries to establish a mood, be sure you have a fantastic, beautiful & evocatice score not Zimmer s deafening, annoying braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmsssss 

Oh Vangelis, where were you ?

It’s crazy how much time it takes for K to go find Deckard after he starts suspecting he might be the replicant’s child.

He sees the date number in the dead tree. His girlfriend talks about it. He looking in the Wallace co. and LAPD archives. Meeting the memory girl. Going to the orphanage/child labor camp. 

All of those sequences served to the same purpose. All those moments should have been condensed in fewer scenes in the writing stage. 

K knows he could be in serious danger and yet he does all these things like he’s unconcerned of anything that might happen to him, he ignores he’s being followed, etc.

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

I was scrolling fast when I saw "niggles". Had to go a double take

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

I thought Zimmer’s score worked well in the film, even it’s a bit more of sound design than actual music.

It reminded me of his Dunkirk score. If you listen to it at home the music feels repetitive and somewhat boring but they work both really well in the movies imo.