Neo

Blade Runner 2049 | October 6, 2017 | Villeneuve directs | Full Trailer on Page 40

It  s funny how people constantly repeat the movie is art because it is slow & moody & contemplative  so it is bold so people are glad it exists.

Meanwhile, the movie  shamelessly does what everybody whines about when it comes to franchise filmmaking, even worse than most of them.

In that regard The Mummy this year was a bit more vulgar, just a little bit though.

But I hear BR 2049 is art, so it s ok.

My bad.

Edited by The Futurist

9 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Meanwhile, the movie  shamelessly does what everybody whines about when it comes to franchise filmmaking, even worse than most of them.

And what is those and what is what people whine about, why so cryptic in your messages all the time, why not just say what you mean (and remove the strawman about being art because it is slow or as if art / non-art had any relevance about movies).

I doubt someone from the toys department was taking decision over the screenwriter/director in BR or some exec of some studios either.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

A few points to add:

1. I don't hate this movie. Actually I quite like it.

2. The movie bombing in the US market is actually a blessing in disguise. I would rather they do a sequel 10 or 20 years later instead of shamelessly cashing in on the trend by doing those INTERLINKED cinematic stupid sequels (Can you imagine a spin-off about OFF-WORLD COLONY? It is totally un-Blade Runner.)

3. I don't think Denis or Nolan will take the directing job for the 3rd movie. So the sequel is better left for the directors of the same caliber even if it means we have to wait for another 32 year.

4. Let's not ruin the brand of Blade Runner...and we should keep the good memories...

LET THIS FRANCHISE END HERE.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jack said:

Saw this. Slept 3 times. Only like the acting and some twists. Visual, sound, story was poor. What a waste of 3 hrs!

RT score won't translate to profit for this film.

SOOOOOOOOO EDGY, are we?

(Seriously, poor visuals? I haven't even seen it yet, and even I can tell you I have seen a completely different movie than you did just from the trailers.)

9 hours ago, The Futurist said:

It  s funny how people constantly repeat the movie is art because it is slow & moody & contemplative  so it is bold so people are glad it exists.

In that regard The Mummy this year was a bit more vulgar, just a little bit though.

But I hear BR 2049 is art, so it s ok.

My bad.

Again...explain to me why you love MJ1/MJ2 when the latter is so fucking grim. Please answer.

9 hours ago, Barnack said:

And what is those and what is what people whine about, why so cryptic in your messages all the time, why not just say what you mean (and remove the strawman about being art because it is slow or as if art / non-art had any relevance about movies).

BR2049 has broken Futurist's edginess meter.

16 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I think despite the dissapointing OW, this will have a strong afterlife. 

Considering how much the people who've seen it, seem to like it, I have no doubt. I could see it still snagging a best pic nomination as well. It should get a lot of technical awards anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Considering how much the people who've seen it, seem to like it, I have no doubt. I could see it still snagging a best pic nomination as well. It should get a lot of technical awards anyway. 

I don't think it's getting a Best Pic nomination but it'll be plenty talked about among genre fans for years to come.

Which, given how Blade Runner is fixated with memories, is fitting.

6 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I don't think it's getting a Best Pic nomination but it'll be plenty talked about among genre fans for years to come.

Which, given how Blade Runner is fixated with memories, is fitting.

The Academy could less about box office these days, but WB (who I assume would do the award campaigning), is probably going to push Dunkirk first and foremost, so yeah I don't see it getting nominated for best picture myself. 

Blade Runner 2049 mirrors the original in so many, including how it'll probably achieve cult-status, despite being a box office failure. How oddly and disappointingly appropriate.