Neo

Blade Runner 2049 | October 6, 2017 | Villeneuve directs | Full Trailer on Page 40

The key factors for the under-performance were the movie’s 163-minute running time — which limits the number of showings each day — plus far less traction among younger moviegoers than anticipated.

“The core of enthusiastic and loyal ‘Blade Runner’ fans were over 25 and predominantly male and propelled the film as expected to the top spot, but a lengthy running time and lesser interest among females made it tougher for the film to reach the original weekend box office projections,” said Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst with comScore.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/box-office-blade-runner-2049-opening-weekend-1202583660/

I posted in here a week or so ago that I thought the runtime would be a problem with this particular film, and I was joked at a bit for it (fair enough, it hasn't hurt many other blockbusters).  But this is a different kind of film, and I'm not surprised at this at all.

If you wanna be optimistic there's movies like Hugo and Master and Commander both of which bombed relative to the budget but each got 10 Oscar nods and won a few. I don't think BR49 is gonna get near that, but also don't see how the box office is gonna make it less likely for it to win cinematography and maybe a couple of other techs.

2 minutes ago, Macleod said:

The key factors for the under-performance were the movie’s 163-minute running time — which limits the number of showings each day — plus far less traction among younger moviegoers than anticipated.

“The core of enthusiastic and loyal ‘Blade Runner’ fans were over 25 and predominantly male and propelled the film as expected to the top spot, but a lengthy running time and lesser interest among females made it tougher for the film to reach the original weekend box office projections,” said Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst with comScore.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/box-office-blade-runner-2049-opening-weekend-1202583660/

I posted in here a week or so ago that I thought the runtime would be a problem with this particular film, and I was joked at a bit for it (fair enough, it hasn't hurt many other blockbusters).  But this is a different kind of film, and I'm not surprised at this at all.

But I don't see how having less showtime really hurts when these showtime just aren't full. My 3:50 yesterday had a total of 9 people in it. How is another showtime gonna help if people aren't  willing to show up to the time that is there?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

If you wanna be optimistic there's movies like Hugo and Master and Commander both of which bombed relative to the budget but each got 10 Oscar nods and won a few. I don't think BR49 is gonna get near that, but also don't see how the box office is gonna make it less likely for it to win cinematography and maybe a couple of other techs.

I still think it wins Cinematography for sure. Just not seeing a Best Pic/Best Director nod right now. Got a better chance than mother! tho. :hahaha:

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Master & Commander managing to grab a couple tech wins in the face of the ROTK juggernaut was nice. Though the techs it won were the ones ROTK wasn't nominated for.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I still think it wins Cinematography for sure. Just not seeing a Best Pic/Best Director nod right now. Got a better chance than mother! tho. :hahaha:

Director I would be seriously doubting even if it had opened big. Picture who knows. Again even with a healthy BO there would have been factors against it, bleak tone + slow pace + dependance on 35-year-old predecessor is a combination that none of the recent blockbuster nominees had to overcome. 

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

Director I would be seriously doubting even if it had opened big. Picture who knows. Again even with a healthy BO there would have been factors against it, bleak tone + slow pace + dependance on 35-year-old predecessor is a combination that none of the recent blockbuster nominees had to overcome. 

You don't understand, with a passionate fanbase, movies can overcome anything!

BR 2049 shamelessly spends half its time to set up a giant franchise/universe with multiple films, opening numerous narrative threads that don't have any conclusion in the movie.

Ridley Scott himself said 4 movies were/are planned.

Blade Runner is your basic, run of the mill, cash grab franchise.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

BR 2049 shamelessly spends half its time to set up a giant franchise with multiple films, opening numerous narrative threads that don't have any conclusion in the movie.

Does Scott plan 4 sequels for everything. Only after your first movie does 2.8b ww, do you go ahead and plan 4 sequels. Else focus on 1 wholesome coherent movie.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Does Scott plan 4 sequels for everything. Only after your first movie does 2.8b ww, do you go ahead and plan 4 sequels. Else focus on 1 wholesome coherent movie.

believe it or not, Jackman's Pan and Hunnam's King Arthur were planned as 6 movies each or something. :rofl: Scott's Robin Hood was also a franchise killer starter.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

BR 2049 shamelessly spends half its time to set up a giant franchise/universe with multiple films, opening numerous narrative threads that don't have any conclusion in the movie.

Yes, I'm sure the same level of talent and ambition went into making X-Men Apocalypse.

3 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Does this require 3D or IMAX viewing?

Deakins apparently said 2D widescreen is his preferred.

I saw it in full-blown IMAX (the real stuff, not this LIEMAX stuff), and it was immersive. 

I may go one more time in widescreen, but anything else will probably feel inferior after IMAX.